anyone NOT taking monthly pics NOR measurements? Why NOT?

Options
This is my 36th day back, and I have yet to take progress pics (ya know, front, back & side pics), plus I haven't taken my measurements either. Why not? I'm kinda scared to. I HATE taking pics and am scared to see the numbers on being measured.

Well, I'm going to do it today. Today is weigh in day and I'll weigh in later on today, after I workout. I'll also humble myself and have my measurements taken and pics. :embarassed:

So I'm posting this as a NSV (even though I haven't done it yet). :ohwell:

That leads me to ask...are YOU taking monthly progress pics of yourself? If not, why not...why won't you?

How about measurements...are you or have you took your measurements? If not, why not...why won't you?

Let's discuss!

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing photos every two weeks while doing Stronglifts.

I don't see much change week to week, but if I compare my start photos to week 6, I can see it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/786496-end-of-week-6-update

I take measurements, but not religiously. There's not a lot of change at this point. I can't tell if I'm really 1/8th of an inch smaller, or just pulling the tape a little tighter. If I measure my abdomen, my stomach is flatter, but my rear is higher, so that's going to seem like a wash by the measurements.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    No pictures. None. I am too ashamed of myself for letting myself become so over weight. I do not want the reminders. Embarassed :embarassed:
    I started doing measurements about 3 months into my journey, and do them once a month.
    I do weigh in weekly and have since the beginning.
  • been285
    been285 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    never have. Some days I wish I had the reinforcement of seeing how large my old self was. Like a fear of public speaking,, I shy away from standing out and saying " look at me ". I measure every two months, There is enough of a change at that point to feel an accomplishment. bye..... later
  • Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I don't have to discipline to take my measurements and monthly pictures. I always start out doing it and then forget so I don't even bother doing it anymore. I have specific outfits that help me judge my progress. When I notice them getting loser (or tighter), I will take my measurements then, but still don't bother with the pictures. It's just not that serious for me. LOL
  • prairiedawg2014
    Options
    i don't. when i started here last january i took a pic wearing something that i tried to hide my weight because i was embarassed. the pic was dark too so you couldn't see my weight. i didn't realize back then that i should have "bared" all the rolls so that "if" i was lucky enuf to lose the weight i would have a before and after pics to show the progress. i didn't take my next pic til june when i hit the 50 lb mark. i gained 10 lbs thru the summer and am back here now to lose it.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Measurements, I'm ok with. Pictures, not so much. I hate pictures of myself, so I'm not doing that. And I don't want anyone to accidentally see my yucky body pictures. I can't believe the confidence it takes for people to post their half naked before and afters. It's just not for me, so that's my reason...

Good luck to you! And congrats on your NSV. :)
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Nope on both but I wish I would have now :-(
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I took pics at the beginning of the year and haven't taken any since I restarted weight training. I need to, though. I take measurements every couple weeks. I almost HAVE TO do measurements. My weight is very SLOW dropping since I've added weight training back, so I need SOMETHING to tell me I'm making progress since the scale certainly isn't! I've come to realize that ultimately I want to LOOK better. SO pictures and measurements are a reflection of that. Weight is just a number-not a reflection of what is actually transforming.
  • BigMan_D
    BigMan_D Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    For those of you who have chosen not to take pictures, I completely understand the shame and embarrassment. I am one of the heavier people on this site. But I ask you to reconsider. With digital pictures no one other than your self needs to ever see them. Before/progress pictures can be a great motivator and reminder. I truly didn't realize how big I was until I took those first pictures standing there just in my shorts. Something clicked that day and reinforced my need for change. With every set of pictures I take I can see the progress and recommit to my self that I will NEVER look like that again! The changes in our bodies can be so subtle you don't see it on a daily basis. But when you compare before/progress pictures, the changes become more evident. This can be an incredible motivator.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I used to measure monthly but soon realised from the random up and down results that I wasn't always holding the tape in the exactly the same place and felt I was wasting my time so stopped. I don't take photos either. The difference in how my clothes fit and always having to come out of the changing rooms for a size smaller than I've picked up when I'm shopping are reward enough in themselves.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I'm still terrible at measuring, getting the tape measure to give me the same number twice is tough. I do measure when I notice my clothes sliding around more in the waist or hips. I also take pictures when I notice a difference in the mirror or when I get new clothes.

I really need to pester my family to see if any of them have a holiday gathering body shot of me at my highest weight to post, because that will really show the difference and I don't have one.
  • FitMomTwo
    Options
    I've been taking pictures every few weeks and I am super glad I did. I just pulled my pictures back up from four months ago and ones I took yesterday and got really motivated to get back on track with my healthy eating. I've kind of fallen off the healthy eating wagon the past few weeks and have been moping around. This definitely gave me the encouragement to keep going. Trust me, I totally understand being completely ashamed.

I measure, as well.
  • feather314
    Options
    I took before and after photos for when I did the 30 Day Shred but haven't bothered with pics since then. I take measurements every 30-60 days (or try to remember to take them). I mostly guage progress by the way my clothes fit (since the scale doesn't always play nice).
  • Katanthus
    Katanthus Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    No pictures. None. I am too ashamed of myself for letting myself become so over weight. I do not want the reminders. Embarassed :embarassed:
    I started doing measurements about 3 months into my journey, and do them once a month.
    I do weigh in weekly and have since the beginning.

I have not been in front of a camera for a number of years now, but I decided to do it, just so when I get to my goal, I don't kick myself for not having a photo to compare it with.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/749819-day-178-42lb-and-88-inches-gone

I measure myself every week. Had I not, I would have lost the last of my sanity. The weight was not coming off, but I was losing inches. This is day 219 for me, and I have lost 44.2lb, and 98 inches. Yes, that is right... 9 8 inches.
  • Jongfaith
    Options
    Nope I supose I should be taking pictures but I am just not that comfortable with pictures. 44lbs down and I can see and feel a difference though... maybe I should have... shrug
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Nope, to be honest, I did not realise I was go to be so successful this time around :bigsmile:
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I hate pictures of myself, but I've taken some. I only measured my waist when I started. I took all over measurements when I started an exercise program last month, but they move so much slower than the scale for me, that they aren't all that motivating (plus my apple shaped waist never seems to change so I find that more discouraging than encouraging). I don't take pictures or measure with any regularity, though. When the mood strikes I do.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Lazyness.

Always mean to, but can never bring myself to when I start losing weight, because I know when I've lost weight it actually feels all the better to see the journey I've come from and you can actually get pride from the achievements rather than shame at what were you are.

Now that I'm nearing 10% BF I do spend a bit TOO long starting at the mirror and admiring the 'tone' in my arms etc as I've managed to maintain the acceptable muscle I had.

Definitely will be taking a few pics when I hit my goal.

Do keep meaning to do a few other measurements, but never got around to it.
    May start trying to go to weekly tracking rather than current daily and track biceps etc too when I reach my goal and start to bulk up a bit.
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm really not losing that much weight that it will be hugely noticeable .. the only difference would be possibly going from a thin and squishy look .. to a more muscular and defined look. Hopefully more toned up in general. But at 46 .. and not going for bodybuilding appearance (at least .. not yet that I'm aware of) It's not so important to me. I've only measured everything from neck to hips, arms, etc.. to get an accurate calculation of my body fat. So when I use the various BMI/BMR calclutors and such - I'll have the most accurate readings.

I generally don't measure myself .. maybe about once a month or so .. it doesn't change a lot for me. Guess I'm more maintenance that drastic weight loss.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    have to agree with many on the measurements....that is very spurious. Very difficult to know exactly how tight or loose your are holding the measuring tape and that got to be a bit defeating for me. I go by my clothes size and am encouraged each time I go down a notch. Really wish I had taken some pictures. Still might. Also wish I had some of those nifty fat caliper measuring tools. But, the thing is, we become so hung up on all the numbers that it can became overwhelming and even defeating when we don't see what we hope. For me, I concentrate on eating healthier and healthier, exercising more and more, and just enjoying the journey.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!