anyone NOT taking monthly pics NOR measurements? Why NOT?

Options

Replies

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I don't take pics period. Pics are for showing off to others and I'm not really interested in anyone's opinion of my weight loss. I love the support and compliments from my friend group at church that is doing this together and all.....but they can either see it or not (and they do) -- I don't feel compelled to prove it to myself or anyone else with pictures. If I can fit into smaller clothes and from time to time see body changes, on the rare occasion that I actually take the time to notice, plus the scale is trending ever downward then I know I am losing weight. No reason to flaunt it.....for me this is NOT a self-esteem issue so I don't need to fish for compliments. I only take measurements once in a while, very irregularly -- usually when I plateau for a while and need the extra encouragement to keep going that something is actually changing even if it isn't the scales. I am so NOT a fan of exercise no matter how many times people say I will learn to love it....not going to happen. No clue when it comes to people saying they get a "high" from exercise endorphins and don't want to stop....3 years on swim team in high school and at this almost 6 months now (27 years later) and hasn't happened nor do I expect it to nor seek after it. So I need to know that all this effort is actually accomplishing something or I will stop because I have no patience for banging my head against a stone wall over and over and expecting different results when none are forthcoming. That's just me.

These pics are for my eyes (and my hubby and children's eyes ONLY )...not for anyone else but for me, myself and I--and again...I feel/felt "compelled" to do this for myself. But totally understand if you or others don't feel this way. It was soooo SCARY for me. I'm GLAD I did it! I'm LOVING doing stuff that I've been scared of. It makes me feel and believe how powerful I am and am becoming more on more in this battle of the bulge. I'm going to print these pics over my treadmill with an older pic of me when I was slim and trim.

Everyone is different and I so respect that, and for me...seeing my big ole gut and butt is a push for me--I'm the type that thrives on truth, no matter much I may not like it. Some people don't like or need "negative and/or visual kick in the pants" and stuff like this to help them get on the good foot and to motive them to keep on and hype them up...I do. It quite frankly makes me angry and I'll also post this over the pics too:

"Hope has two beautiful daughters. Their names are anger and courage; anger at the way things are, and courage to see that they do not remain the way they are. " Augustine

Again, everyone is different...so, it's all good :flowerforyou: to each is own.
  • raggyanndoll
    Options
    Modesty is an issue for me. I'm not going to take a picture of myself in a sports bra. Pictures in T-shirts are cool.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Modesty is an issue for me. I'm not going to take a picture of myself in a sports bra. Pictures in T-shirts are cool.

Girl, me too...but that was the "top" I took mine in, it's a sports bar:noway: ...with legging :sick: and talk about UGH! :blushing: But I'm soooo looking forward to taking pics with these clothes on each month and hoping that by springtime, I won't be able to fit these big bad boys at all! I just know I'll do it and looking at these pics are hyping me up something FIERCE. Ugh and WOOT!
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    No one ever has to see them except you! At least that's my plan...
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Because I'm stupid! :embarassed:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    No one ever has to see them except you! At least that's my plan...

Yep! Me too :drinker:
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I don't take pics specifically for weight loss. I do have tons of pics of myself though.
    I don't take measurements. Never have.
    I weigh myself once in a while, when I remember. Usually 1-2 times a month.
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I took a front/back of myself right around when i first joined MFP. I weighed 146lbs. I plan on taking another around the 10lb mark. Month-to-month wouldn't work for me, because I had taken it real slow this whole year and then for the summer months I sorta took an unofficial break. BUT, I definitely DO plan on taking pictures along the way, just not frequently. I will probably post them either here, on a certain message board or both. I don't see a big difference between bra/undies and a swimsuit. We are too skittish about nudity or possible nudity here in the states, lol.

To those saying that they wouldn't take picture because they don't plan on showing anyone. If you take a picture of you and your significant other, is it for the mantle or for the world to see? (for some people it might be the world) but for most..it's for you. Progress pictures are no different.

At the very least, I advise everyone to NOT avoid the camera completely. I just had my picture taken last week and it broke my heart because I looked so FAT. Like as fat as my highest weight (165). But, I pulled that picture and placed it next to a picture of me at that high weight and I could see the difference. Pictures are good. Might not be fun, but just do it, you'll be thankful later.
  • kadinlucas
    kadinlucas Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I tried taking measurements when I started, then tried once more later but forgot how or where exactly I did them, and what the numbers meant...
    So yeah gave up on measurements, but I was tight in 36" pants and now 34" are loose, that's enough confirmation for me.

Weigh myself every 2 weeks...

Took before photos when I was my heaviest at ~93kg just before joining the gym. Will take after photos when I get to my goal (very soon). But if I post them, the befores will be about 7kg heavier then when I actually joined MFP at 86kg.
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Lazy. I got enough to do. I only weigh every 2 weeks. I measure myself every 3 months... comparison photos every 6.
  • Tsunami79
    Tsunami79 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I will take pictures, when i get half way to my goal, I all ready have a before picture on my profile, and a picture of me at my smallest weight, which is what I would like to look like again.

Have not taken measurements, don't plan on taking them either, just plan on going by the way my clothes fit me.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Seeing this thread I am going to just use the pictures that I submitted to a plus size fashion blog as my own progress pictures. I am a bit wary about posting them online.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I don't take pics specifically for weight loss. I do have tons of pics of myself though.
    I don't take measurements. Never have.
    I weigh myself once in a while, when I remember. Usually 1-2 times a month.

Are you my twin?

We take enough photos just out doing stuff that I know how I look. I go more by how my clothes fit and the need for smaller sizes than the scale. While I am still working on losing fat, my main goals are fitness goals. I don't need photos, tape measures or scales to tell me that I've gone from barely surviving a 5 mile bike ride all on the flats to being able to ride a hilly century. Or struggling with running for 60 seconds to completing 5k without walking. Or that I've at least doubled, and on some moves tripled, the weight I can lift. And I get enough compliments to know that it's showing. When I start obsessing about how I look, my inches and my weight, I get stressed and quit enjoying the process. And I'm enjoying getting fitter too much to muck it up. This works for me so I'm sticking to it.
  • sadyel
    sadyel Posts: 250
    Options
    Iv taken before pictures and will take new ones in 4 weeks time (8 weeks after the before) I measure once a week and weigh in one a week some times twice depends on how I feel Iv lost less 'Weight' according to the scale this time round of dieting but this time iv exercised a lot in the gym, which I never used to do so Im glad Iv taken pics because I will probably lose more fat but not lose as much 'weight' getting my body fat tested this week aswell :smile:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I don't take pics period. Pics are for showing off to others and I'm not really interested in anyone's opinion of my weight loss. I love the support and compliments from my friend group at church that is doing this together and all.....but they can either see it or not (and they do) -- I don't feel compelled to prove it to myself or anyone else with pictures. If I can fit into smaller clothes and from time to time see body changes, on the rare occasion that I actually take the time to notice, plus the scale is trending ever downward then I know I am losing weight. No reason to flaunt it.....for me this is NOT a self-esteem issue so I don't need to fish for compliments.

I respect your opinion, but on the other hand... you wouldn't believe the amount of messages, friend requests and comments I've gotten from people who said something along the lines of, "Your progress made me believe this is possible!" Or "I'm so happy seeing results from someone who eats! Thanks for letting me know I can do this without giving up everything I love!" Or "I used to be afraid of weight lifting, but your pictures inspired me!"

Those kinds of comments... giving people hope and/or a new way of approaching this... mean so much more to me than any amount of "You look hot" messages. Those are actually kind of embarrassing.

Plus, I'm not losing anymore. I'm still tweaking my body composition, but the weight loss thing? I got that in the bag, thanks to the advice I read on here while I was losing. It changed my life, because everything I believed about weight loss before joining here was wrong. I'm here to pay it forward and give advice at this point. Photos give my advice a little more credibility.

So... yeah. I respect your opinion and decision to do what's best for you, but please don't paint those who share their progress as attention *kitten*.
  • HazenAllen
    HazenAllen Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have a nasty granuloma on my lip right now X__x or else I would be taking some progress pictures. I am getting it removed on the 30th so after that I may start :)
  • lyndalpn
    lyndalpn Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I dont do the picture and measurement thing for some of the reasons everyone else does, but I guess that I started this journey for health rather than weight. I know they are more or less one and the same, but I never wanted to get too hung up on the numbers.... so I limit to weighing myself. In sayign that, I weigh myself daily, just to remind myself daily what I need to do, but dont do any measurements other than that. I can tell by my clothes that Im getting much much smaller, anyway.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I am not taking progress pictures or before/after pictures. I have to interest to do so. My weight loss goal is only about 10 pounds, so it's not gonna be a big difference in pictures and I will know I look better simply by looking in the mirror and by how my clothes fit.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I've been taking monthly photos and measurements since May 2011. I only wish I had started doing it when I began my weight loss journey back in May 2010. Sometimes the scale doesn't cooperate, so my monthly photo and measurements helps me see that I am making progress. I have a progress photo album on Facebook because my friends like to see how I'm doing and we discuss our weight loss journies together. Also I like to show off a little. :wink:
  • icklebubbly
    icklebubbly Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I haven't taken any pics at all and i have been dieting now for over a year on and off.....I don't know why i haven't taken pics really, maybe if i had i would be able to tell the difference but i still see myself as the fat girl and when i used to look at pictures of myself before i lost the weight i hated it and i'm frightened that if i look at myself in pics now i will be disappointed! Maybe if i had taken pictures i would be able to see the difference like other people do!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!