anyone NOT taking monthly pics NOR measurements? Why NOT?

Options

Replies

• ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Not me. I think I took a couple of pictures several months ago, but no measurements. I'm just lazy that way.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    This is why I take them. 2011's Halloween costume, last year and this year.

valkyrie.jpg

I weigh more, but I'm smaller and have more definition in my abs. And it's not just a matter of a more flattering angle... the skirt sits about an inch lower on my hips now than it did then.

The scale is a decent enough tool to measure progress while you're still losing a significant amount every week, but close to goal or in maintenance, it can mess with your head.

WOW! Looking good!!! I'm proud of you.

Also, I humbled myself and took pics today, in my workout leggings and top :noway: It was pretty, ummmm...I'll not say DISGUSTING, but let's just say I took an extra outside walk this evening on top of the other stuff exercising I've done today.
    I didn't take my measurements, because I can't find my measuring tape thingy. I have a steel one (ya know to measure household stuff), but I'll get a cloth one ASAP so I can take them sooner rather than later.

Ya know what, even those my pics look :indifferent: -- I still can see the slim and trim me hiding deeply within. I'll take pics every month and I'm glad I did.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I don't take any pics because I don't care enough to muster the energy to do it. I weigh myself daily and take measurements every two weeks or so.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm not. I'm losing weight to get healthier and fitter. I can see the results. And as long as I'm following my plan (which is really just fewer calories in, more out) I'm happy. I don't need daily feedback except on the page. And I went through a month-long plateau, but could feel my clothes fitting differently. They're my measuring tape. Now I'm losing again, so clearly my body has decided not to hold on. It's safe to keep losing. And it is.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Nope. I don't want to get obsessed with the weight loss. It's coming. I can notice when I take pictures just to take them.. that is enough for me :)
  • pstaceyca
    pstaceyca Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    No pictures. None. I am too ashamed of myself for letting myself become so over weight. I do not want the reminders. Embarassed :embarassed:
    I started doing measurements about 3 months into my journey, and do them once a month.
    I do weigh in weekly and have since the beginning.

Really? You have lost 108lbs...you should be so proud of yourself!!! WTG!!!!!
  • wnwilli05
    Options
    I took a picture but it was after I had already lost 25 pounds. After I had taken it, I wished that I would have taken one in the same outfit to begin with. Don't plan on taking another picture until I drop the other 25 pounds I want to lose. I have maintained my 25 pound weight loss for 4 months and at that point kinda took a break from everything. Don't really know why I did it, but since school has started and I have my workout buddy back I have kicked myself back into gear. Hopefully the other 25 pounds will start melting away soon. :)
  • GossInABox
    GossInABox Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I take measurements, but not pictures. Mostly because I live alone so there's nobody to take pictures of me. XD
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I took pics at the beginning and at my halfway mark (thats the one in my avatar). I will take more when I reach my final goal. And thats it.

I measure myself every 2 weeks. I usually find something has changed. I just added my BF, WW and MM numbers to my progress reports. Wish I had been able to do that from the beginning but I just got the new scale.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options

I didn't take my measurements, because I can't find my measuring tape thingy. I have a steel one (ya know to measure household stuff), but I'll get a cloth one ASAP so I can take them sooner rather than later.

You can use something flexible like string or ribbon and then hold that up to your steel measuring tape if you don't find your fabric one.
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I occasionally take pics whenever I feel like it. But usually months apart. And I do take measurements, yes. Measurements more often than pics. I also still use my scale.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I do take monthly measurements but I refuse to take progress pictures. I think before and after is enough.
  • I don't. Don't want to remember myself all flabby and whatnot when I'm fighting fit and 58kg.
  • citizencrp
    citizencrp Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I would if I had a full length mirror that I could stand far enough away from. I only have a little 4 inch wide x 4 feet tall one that I use to make sure my clothes match and that's about it. I'm hoping to take some pics at Thanksgiving when visiting my parents.
    I'm not thrilled with the idea of these pics existing, but I do believe it's important to see the change. I've lost 43 lbs in just about a year and I see some changes but I think I need some "apples to apples" images to be able to really notice the differences.
  • sskitka
    sskitka Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    At this point I am so big and hate they way I look so much that I just can't bring myself to take any pictures... Dude I am not even attractive to my boyfriend that lives in the same house as me. IDK maybe soon just now now
  • Senabun
    Options
    I just started taking my own bi-weekly progression photos about a month and a half ago. I haven't really compared them all too well, but I have noticed back fat slimming down and even though I can't see it in the photo, my tummy is shrinking in size. I've even taken measurements as well, but they don't seem to show much of a progression.

So what do I do? I know that my body is gaining muscle and losing weight, but everything is also shifting around a bit as I tone my body. I try to find clothing that are my "progression clothes". When I fail to see progression in measurements, on the scale (which I never check unless at the doctor's), or from my photos, I slip on the clothes that just barely, if at all, fit me! I bought a cute button-up top...only problem was that it was rather tight in the stomach, chest, and arm area. Within 2-3 weeks of cardio and weight training, it's pretty much a perfect fit! I also found one of my mother's old beautiful vintage skirts. So far, I can't get it up past my butt/thighs, but before even that was completely impossible! There's different things you can do other than taking pictures or measurements. Whatever works best for you and keeps you motivated in the long run!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I used to measure monthly but soon realised from the random up and down results that I wasn't always holding the tape in the exactly the same place and felt I was wasting my time so stopped. I don't take photos either. The difference in how my clothes fit and always having to come out of the changing rooms for a size smaller than I've picked up when I'm shopping are reward enough in themselves.

Me too. The scale is my friend (I am on maintenance), but the tape shows too many fluctuations because I don't always take measurements in the same place. I just go on how my clothes fits me and what ever I notice in the mirror. But since I am very critical, I am never happy with what I see.
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I don't take pics period. Pics are for showing off to others and I'm not really interested in anyone's opinion of my weight loss. I love the support and compliments from my friend group at church that is doing this together and all.....but they can either see it or not (and they do) -- I don't feel compelled to prove it to myself or anyone else with pictures. If I can fit into smaller clothes and from time to time see body changes, on the rare occasion that I actually take the time to notice, plus the scale is trending ever downward then I know I am losing weight. No reason to flaunt it.....for me this is NOT a self-esteem issue so I don't need to fish for compliments. I only take measurements once in a while, very irregularly -- usually when I plateau for a while and need the extra encouragement to keep going that something is actually changing even if it isn't the scales. I am so NOT a fan of exercise no matter how many times people say I will learn to love it....not going to happen. No clue when it comes to people saying they get a "high" from exercise endorphins and don't want to stop....3 years on swim team in high school and at this almost 6 months now (27 years later) and hasn't happened nor do I expect it to nor seek after it. So I need to know that all this effort is actually accomplishing something or I will stop because I have no patience for banging my head against a stone wall over and over and expecting different results when none are forthcoming. That's just me.
  • sweettalkinggirl
    Options
    Nope to both - I never have as it never really crossed my mind to do it. I just use the bathroom scales and judge how my clothes sit. I also find I over analyse numbers and if I added the measurements into the mix I won't focus on the scale and non scale victories.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

You can use something flexible like string or ribbon and then hold that up to your steel measuring tape if you don't find your fabric one.

Thanks so much! I found a free tailor measuring one on line, but it's a pain and I'll just buy on tomorrow. Here's the link in case someone wants it/is interested in this one:

http://www.atailoredsuit.com/A_Tailored_Suit_Printable_Tape_Measure.pdf
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!