Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Yay! Looks good.
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Some of the best brisket in Texas is seasoned with a simple rub of only salt and pepper.

I use an off the shelf rub. I prepare the meat with a dry rub, wrap it in saran wrap and put it in the fridge overnight. When I'm ready to cook I'll take it out of the fridge and let it come up to room temperature while I'm preparing the smoker. With the smoker running at 225 -250 the rough estimate is about 1.5 hrs per pound of meats. But this is just an estimate, depending on the cut of meat it may take longer or less time. I usually cook my brisket to around 195 degrees.

Wood choice is important. I smoke Pork using Apple wood. For Brisket I'll use either Oak or Pecan.

Here's a site with a fair amount of information regarding smoking brisket
    http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html

Enjoy your smoke!

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you! I'll post pics and what I did here next weekend after the smoke. Hopefully, everything will turn out nicely.

I have the most success using the Texas Crutch method from that web site.
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Make sure to have a thermometer in there. I've had some Briskets go really fast.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Make sure to have a thermometer in there. I've had some Briskets go really fast.

I have two thermometers. One is one that stays inside the smoker so you can check the temp, and the other goes into the meat. Which one should I be concerned with?
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Checkout foodnetwork.com
  • Alford96
    Options
    My Dad stuffs whole garlic cloves in his before he rubs it down and it is DELICOUS. We fight over the garlic, seriously, it' sooooo good. Other than that, I don't really know his method, I just know that I REALLY look forward to Thanksgiving at Moms!!
  • VelociMama
    Options
    first you need a REALLY big rolling paper....

:laugh:
    eta: guess I should have paid attention to the original post date and the recent comments. my bad

I'm still very open to suggestions. I have another bigger brisket in the freezer for Christmas, so I'm up for trying new things!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I have two thermometers. One is one that stays inside the smoker so you can check the temp, and the other goes into the meat. Which one should I be concerned with?
    Both.

Smoke temp
    225 - 250 (low and slow)

Internal Meat temp.
    Once it gets over 190 start checking the brisket with a toothpick - it should slide into the meat with little resistance. Like butta. If it offers too much resistance keep it cooking and check it again at 195. If it's still not done check it at 200. It's done when it's done.
  • VelociMama
    Options
    Just bumping the page. I'll be adding more photos of the brisket smoke tomorrow. I've had a hard time getting my real smoker to hold temp for long, so I'm going to be using an indirect smoke on my big Weber charcoal grill tomorrow instead and adjusting cooking time accordingly. I'm also going to be using the Texas Crutch method (in the link above) then grilling the outside for a few mins after it's done to give it a nice crispy outside.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone and another big THANK YOU to everyone who offered tips and help. It's been very useful!
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Roll it like a cigar and light it? Not sure if you are supposed to inhale or not. :smokin:
  • chelovik
    chelovik Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I never have smoked brisket but I have slow cooked it before and it comes out amazing
  • VelociMama
    Options
    Roll it like a cigar and light it? Not sure if you are supposed to inhale or not. :smokin:

LOL!!!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    bump

sorry, no advice... i have smoked several pork butts though!

Pork butts are on my list too! What's your strategy for smoking them?
    Light the end and haul like a mother. ;)

Interested. I'd like to get a smoker.

Damn you beat me to it. I was gonna say rolling papers and a lighter work fine for me.
  • VelociMama
    Options
    Brisket smoke was a huge success! (If the images are too large, right click and select "View Image" to see the full size)

I used lump charcoal and mesquite on the grill using an indirect cooking technique keeping the heat on the brisket side between 225 and 250:

198338_10101133179246595_2127042822_n.jpg

644116_10101133179266555_1542737456_n.jpg

63853_10101133179311465_1854567831_n.jpg

Halfway through (used mop sauce starting at about 1 hour in and lightly basted with mop sauce ever hour until time to wrap and turned (not flipped) brisket every two hours):

602550_10101133502064665_1139718027_n.jpg

I used the Texas Crutch method and wrapped the brisket in heavy duty foil and put in about a cup of apple cider vinegar to roast and add moisture once the brisket hit about 150 degrees (about 7 hours into the cook).

After 8 hours, it was done!

66038_10101134207705555_971684185_n.jpg

394973_10101134207840285_846908820_n.jpg

598527_10101134207970025_721158523_n.jpg

It was DELICIOUS. We ate it with a side of homemade cranberry-apple sauce, fresh mashed potatoes, pretzel rolls, and beans.

Our feast!

311291_10101134225504885_1122585968_n.jpg

Thank you again to all those who offered advice and help. I hope you all had a wonderful holiday!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Holy ****. That looks so good!
  • VelociMama
    Options
    Holy ****. That looks so good!

It was ridiculously good. My whole house smells like mesquite smoke too.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    nice smoke ring
  • VelociMama
    Options
    nice smoke ring

Thanks! It wasn't quite as red as I was hoping for, but the whole brisket was delicious, so I'm happy for a first try!