How do you deal with aggressive cyclists?

Options
My favourite running route is a long, straight stretch of road with very little traffic. It's also very popular with cyclists who seem to think that they have more rights than I do. On more than on occasion I've been sworn at or been aimed at with their bikes and had to jump out of the way.
I run against the traffic, so at least I can see the idiots coming, and keep to the side of the road; it's not like I'm dancing all over the shop disrupting their way sooo... How do you handle them? Ignore?

Replies

• scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    pedestrians yield to bikes who yield to equestrian who yield to pedestrians
  • plarcade
    plarcade Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    So basically I should just get out of the way?
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    For your own health and safety I'd move. Pedestrians don't have the right of way as most people think. That only applies to crosswalks. Roads are made for cars and bicycles have all the rights of cars to it means you move.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    They seriously aim their bikes at you? I don't believe I'd be jumping out of the way. Sounds like assault to me and that you would be justified in defending yourself. I think pepper spray or a ballbat between the spokes would get your point across.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Do you have a sidewalk available?
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Two words:

Pepper spray!

:devil:
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    They seriously aim their bikes at you? I don't believe I'd be jumping out of the way. Sounds like assault to me and that you would be justified in defending yourself. I think pepper spray or a ballbat between the spokes would get your point across.

if a cyclist aimed at me he'd get the People's Elbow.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    This doesn't happen to me on my trail. Everyone is respectful. If I was in your situation, though, I think I'd just shout at them to alert them to their inconsideration.
  • whitelaurel
    whitelaurel Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    That happens to me here in Seattle ALL. THE. TIME. I, as a pedestrian, actually DO have the right of way on the sidewalk. But you wouldn't think so. The cyclists around here are freaking insane. They think they rule the roads, the sidewalks, and everything in between. -_- Cycling is cool, but I wish that I would cross one that wasn't a dangerous rider and a total jerk every once in a while. They also tend to think they don't have to stop for stop signs when they're riding in the street, which is scary for me when I'm in the crosswalk and they're yelling at me to get out of the way. It makes me so angry.

But yeah, if you're in the street, anything with wheels has the right of way and you're the one who has to look out.

That having been said, what kind of monumental juveniles aim a bicycle at a pedestrian for the fun of it?
  • whitelaurel
    whitelaurel Posts: 162 Member
    Options

if a cyclist aimed at me he'd get the People's Elbow.

LOL, XD I don't know what the "People's Elbow" is but I'm dying of laughter.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    On the hiking trails I used to go to, the mountain bikers had the right of way if it was a case of hiker vs biker. When there was room for both, bikes passed on the left. At all times, when the bike was coming from the rear, the biker announced himself.

But, for pete's sake, if they're coming dead at you at a fast pace, just move. if they're aiming for you, then that's another thing.
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    I always jump out of the way, It's harder for a cyclist to move around. I'm doing an obstacle course anyway - jumping on any patch of grass I can find, chasing traffic lights etc. makes for a harder workout.
  • judykay05
    Options
    What would happen if ran with traffic? If I were riding, I think I would just go around you... I would suggest doing to the cyclists what they do to cars that get too close... and that is kick them... ha ha! but, since you are probably going to see the same people every day, I think that would be a bad choice.

In Florida, where I live, there are so many people running, walking, dog walking and cycling every morning that if you went against the traffic it would be a major problem. The rule is that we always stay to the right. And in cycling, they are supposed to call out which side they are passing on. (should always be left but not always).

Best of luck to you.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options

Yes. It's much easier for you to move out of the way than it is for the cyclist. And if there's a sidewalk, you should be on it and not in the road.
  • plarcade
    Options
    Yes, they really do! I couldn't believe it myself. I don't think it's assault unless they actually hit me though, is it? Not keen to find out what that feels like and surely retaliation if they haven't hit me is also assault? :(
  • plarcade
    Options
    Do you have a sidewalk available?
    Nope.
  • plarcade
    Options
    For your own health and safety I'd move. Pedestrians don't have the right of way as most people think. That only applies to crosswalks. Roads are made for cars and bicycles have all the rights of cars to it means you move.
    People walk along that stretch of road as well. I'd have to ask them if they've been at the receiving end of a stroppy cyclist
  • plarcade
    Options
    I always jump out of the way, It's harder for a cyclist to move around. I'm doing an obstacle course anyway - jumping on any patch of grass I can find, chasing traffic lights etc. makes for a harder workout.
    This is a very long, straight, uninterrupted stretch of road with very little traffic and no traffic lights. They had tons of space and time to move. I didn't think they WOULD aim for me until they were right THERE.
  • plarcade
    Options
    In Florida, where I live, there are so many people running, walking, dog walking and cycling every morning that if you went against the traffic it would be a major problem. The rule is that we always stay to the right. And in cycling, they are supposed to call out which side they are passing on. (should always be left but not always).

Best of luck to you.
    I run against the traffic because I KNOW that drivers pass to close and I'd rather see them coming than have them come up behind me. I didn't expect some MAMIL to pee all over the road when there is tons and tons of space. Especially on a Sunday.
    If they shouted that they were passing then that would be great, but they don't.
  • plarcade
    Options

Yes. It's much easier for you to move out of the way than it is for the cyclist. And if there's a sidewalk, you should be on it and not in the road.
    No sidewalk and also masses of time and space to move 2 ft into the empty road. It's the arrogance that irritated me. I don't handle attempted intimidation well...