How do you deal with aggressive cyclists?

Options

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Actually, it would be battery if they truly hit you. Assault is when someone is threatening another to do bodily harm. Though I think it would be hard to prove in this case.

I understand that some people are giving joke answers to try to hit the cyclists, but since you're serious, it helps to understand that bikers are not required to move out of the way of runners, it's the runners who are required to yield to the biker. If they hit you and were hurt, they would have a more legitimate case against you than vice versa.

No one likes to hear "you're the one who has to yield" but that's why we have rules like this.
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I am an avid cyclist and most of my fellow cyclists are incredibly courteous. There are exceptions. Most runners are also quite courteous; however, there are exceptions. My biggest problems when riding on the paved trails around my home is the runners who either run side by side, blocking the entire pathway and refusing to yield, or don't hear me coming because their earphones are in their ears and their music is cranked too loudly. This is an athletic bike path. I routinely cycle it at around 17 mph (slowing down of course in more populated areas of the trail). I always say loudly "On your left!" when I am passing. Other bikers and most runners move right over. Many, but not all, runners look at me like I'm nuts, continue chatting with their buddies and keep jogging away. I cannot stop on a dime. I am not asking for more than 10 inches of space on the path we share.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Actually, it would be battery if they truly hit you. Assault is when someone is threatening another to do bodily harm. Though I think it would be hard to prove in this case.

I understand that some people are giving joke answers to try to hit the cyclists, but since you're serious, it helps to understand that bikers are not required to move out of the way of runners, it's the runners who are required to yield to the biker. If they hit you and were hurt, they would have a more legitimate case against you than vice versa.

No one likes to hear "you're the one who has to yield" but that's why we have rules like this.

Yes, that's true. I was simply trying to clarify the difference between assault and battery. People get them confused. If you hit someone, with your hand, a tire iron, a bike, a vehicle, or whatever, it's battery. If you threaten to harm someone, whether verbally or in some cases with body language, it's assault.

Also it seems what you are talking about is a civil suit. Those are entirely different rules altogether. I was referring to criminal charges.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    They seriously aim their bikes at you? I don't believe I'd be jumping out of the way. Sounds like assault to me and that you would be justified in defending yourself. I think pepper spray or a ballbat between the spokes would get your point across.

if a cyclist aimed at me he'd get the People's Elbow.

LOL, XD I don't know what the "People's Elbow" is but I'm dying of laughter.

It's a signature move of prowrestler/actor Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. The People's Elbow TOTALLY kicks butt! LOL
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    The bikes have the right away. You are running the wrong way down the street and putting yourself and the bikes in danger. There's no reason for you not to run with traffic. You said there is very little traffic... so run the right way!
  • secretlobster
    Options
    Also it seems what you are talking about is a civil suit. Those are entirely different rules altogether. I was referring to criminal charges.

Yeah I get you, definitely, I just think it's a bad idea to tempt a lawsuit either way, much easier to just get out of the way of the cyclist.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    :( That's no good. I'd say your best bet would be to move out of their way for your own safety. But remember that there are cyclists out there that aren't jerks. I'm a cyclist, and when I'm on the paths here in my city, I move out of the way for any walkers/runners/joggers.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I just find it hard to believe that they are actually aiming at you since they would get hurt pretty badly if they actually hit you. You're doing everything correct by running against traffic, but you do need to move out of the way even if there aren't any cars. Sometimes while cycling it is hard to know if there is a car right behind you or not, and even though you think there is plenty of space, the cyclist shouldn't have to try to make that choice moving at the speed they are. So just make it easier for everyone, and move over when you see them. And for the people who keep saying they would put a stick in their spoke, or elbow them, they are just lying to make them selves sound internet tough, or to get a laugh they wouldn't do that in real life, they would be just like you and move over.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    The bikes have the right away. You are running the wrong way down the street and putting yourself and the bikes in danger. There's no reason for you not to run with traffic. You said there is very little traffic... so run the right way!

You are not suppose to walk or run with traffic if there isn't a side walk. So why tell somebody the bikers have the right of way, and then tell somebody to do something the wrong way?
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    So basically I should just get out of the way?

Yes.
    Unless you want to get hit.

Isn't this common sense??
  • secretlobster
    Options
    The bikes have the right away.

Yes they have the right away. As in, get out of their way, right away
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    Rightfully or wrongfully, I think that running against traffic triggers a more aggressive response in cyclists than running with the traffic would. I don't know why, it just does, at least for me. Now my annoyance is usually because they are running on the asphalt rather than the cement sidewalk to save their knees, but for me personally, I can honestly say that where I am making a snap judgement as I am zipping along on my bike, I would be more inclined to give a friendly ring of my bell as I approach and then give as wide a berth as safe. In the case of runners coming towards me, I still give them a wide berth but I am usually more annoyed than I otherwise would be.

Not saying it's right, but it's human nature.
  • mandiam
    mandiam Posts: 109
    Options
    As a runner and a cyclist (commuter & race)-- 75% of people on the trails are just trying to "exercise their right" to who has the right of way. it's so annoying.

Gah people, get off your high horse and just look out for each other. I honestly do not get the on going war between runners/cyclists. We are all out there training--keep your eyes in front of you, only one headphone in, and be on the lookout. It's not that hard people.

:D
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Where I live, several pedestrians got killed by cars this week and the police warn, that pedestrians (runners) have no rights on the road (if there is no sidewalk). On the other hand, its illegal for bikes to be on the sidewalk, yet almost every day when I go for an exercise walk, I am faced with bikes going at full speed and making to attempt to avoid me. If one ever hits me, his bike will end up unusable.

On the other hand when I used to cycle more often, there was a paved trail that was divided into bike and walk/run lanes and I had to work hard to avoid the runners that used my bike lane.
  • 1996gtstang
    1996gtstang Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    i dont worry about people pedaling around. just treat them like an old lady in a grand marquis and give a safe distance
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Im sorry to burst a few peoples bubbles but as long as the pedestrian is moving in the same direction ( OP you need to be on the correct side of the road ) , regardless of speed and is continuously moving, the pedestrian has just as much right to be on the same path/ road as a bicyclist or a car! Common sense says the smaller and slower of the two moves aside but neither has a direct implied " i have the right of way cause of my mode of transportation" .
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Im sorry to burst a few peoples bubbles but as long as the pedestrian is moving in the same direction ( OP you need to be on the correct side of the road ) , regardless of speed and is continuously moving, the pedestrian has just as much right to be on the same path/ road as a bicyclist or a car! Common sense says the smaller and slower of the two moves aside but neither has a direct implied " i have the right of way cause of my mode of transportation" .

When you're running, against traffic is the correct side of the road.
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options

When you're running, against traffic is the correct side of the road.

you are correct sir my mistake. Doesnt change the fact that both have the right to be on the same path/road.
  • secretlobster
    Options
    you are correct sir my mistake. Doesnt change the fact that both have the right to be on the same path/road.

Yes and of course this is ideal. But if you don't have the right of way and cyclists are swerving to avoid you, it's because you aren't being very courteous yourself.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm talking crazy here, by why not just get out of the way? Why do you have to "deal" with them? They are on a bike moving with a ton of velocity. In a collision you will both look like you were in a motorcycle accident. If you get out of their way, are you moving backwards? Will you lose all your gainz? Will it throw off the reading on your HRM?
    No, you're right, I will get out of the way/avoid in future. It was the intimidating attitude of the cyclist that angered me more than the actual yielding and wondered if anyone else had had similar experiences. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have tried to run a rugby player off the road....

That's a fair point. Being a large black man, I'm sure there are many times when someone wants to do or say something aggressive to me, but they keep it to themselves. That let's me get away with being the smarty pants a-hole that I am. So I understand if it's really frustrating when you know they are acting that way toward you simply because they feel they can intimidate you. My advice remains the same tho. Just move out the way and keep moving. Or you can run behind me, and I'll push those jerks into traffic for you