How do you deal with aggressive cyclists?

Options

Replies

• Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Find a route off road?
  • plarcade
    plarcade Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Find a route off road?
    I'm looking into it. Off road kills my feet though, which is why I run on roads.

FTR, If I saw there was traffic coming up behind the bike, or if it were difficult for a cyclist to pass me safely, of COURSE I would get out of the way. I resent being 'shoved' out of the way, though, when there is room for everyone.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I know in Ohio traffic law follows like this:

A bike is a car. Period.

A bike must signal like a car, obey all stop signs and lights like a car and is only around to drive on the road like a car. By the letter of the law, any bike on the sidewalk is committing the same crime as if it were a motorcycle or car driving down the side walk.

Pedestrians have the right of way in cross walks. The road is for cars and bikes. The bike lane on the road is for cars and bikes. Unless you are legally blind, pedestrians should only be on the road at designated pedestrian area much like cars don't drive on train tracks except at crossings.

If you're on the road here yield to the bike. If you're on the sidewalk, they must yield to you. If they run you over in either place, talk to your lawyer about suing them.

I always live by this piece of advice from my father:

"You can be right and you can be dead right. Decide if it's more important to be right or dead before you make that choice."

Note: I see bikes acting like morons a lot on my campus. Jumping from street to sidewalk, flying through red lights etc.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    pedestrians yield to bikes who yield to equestrian who yield to pedestrians

yeah, i agree. Just move out the way of the cyclists.
    We've got a bunch of cycling *kitten* near me that think they own the roads.... Running red lights, cycling 3 wide. I just get nice and close to bug them. :angry:
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    If there's no pedestrian route on the road, maybe it isn't a safe choice.
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    I find a nice stick in the spokes usually works pretty well. :drinker:
  • nick1109
    nick1109 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I find the 'clothes line' wrestling move works even better on a cyclist
  • plarcade
    Options
    I've explained that it's a route used by walkers as well as runners and cyclists. I forgot the rollerbladers. There is VERY little traffic, (aside from the homicidal cyclist) which makes it one of the safest routes in my area.
  • plarcade
    Options
    Oh?

LOL
  • wellbert
    Options
    I've explained that it's a route used by walkers as well as runners and cyclists. I forgot the rollerbladers. There is VERY little traffic, (aside from the homicidal cyclist) which makes it one of the safest routes in my area.

I'd suggest petitioning the city for a sidewalk in this case.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

It doesn't matter if walkers and rollerbladers use it. Cars and bicycles still have the right of way on a roadway and walkers don't. You are not supposed to be walking on the paved or finished portion of the roadway whether others do it or not. Not saying a cyclist should be trying to hit you but you are the one in the wrong place. If a cyclist is on a sidewalk then you have the right of way or in a lot of places it's illegal to ride a bicycle on the sidewalk.
  • mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options

It doesn't matter if walkers and rollerbladers use it. Cars and bicycles still have the right of way on a roadway and walkers don't.

do pedestrians have the 'right' to use it? (hate that word)

if everyone is allowed to use it, which presumably they are if there arent alternatives, then doesnt everyone have to watch out for more vulnerable users?

I cycle more than I drive or walk, and here in the UK everyone can use most roads.
  • wellbert
    Options

It doesn't matter if walkers and rollerbladers use it. Cars and bicycles still have the right of way on a roadway and walkers don't. You are not supposed to be walking on the paved or finished portion of the roadway whether others do it or not. Not saying a cyclist should be trying to hit you but you are the one in the wrong place. If a cyclist is on a sidewalk then you have the right of way or in a lot of places it's illegal to ride a bicycle on the sidewalk.

And a cyclist shouldn't have to dart out, potentially under the wheels of a car, to avoid someone that feels too entitled to squeeze to the shoulder.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

Simple physics say that both that and an elbow are a good way to end up with a broken arm...

Lets say you are 175lbs, moving at 6 mph (80 kg @ 2.75 m/s). The bicycle is 200 lbs moving at 20 mph (90 kg @ 9 m/s). You've got 220 kg m/s momentum. They have 810 kg m/s momentum. You are going to take most of the impact. Assume you take ALL the impact, going from +2.75 to -9 m/s. Your arm would be absorbing about 2000 N of force.
  • plarcade
    Options

And a cyclist shouldn't have to dart out, potentially under the wheels of a car, to avoid someone that feels too entitled to squeeze to the shoulder.
    No darting required. I've explained that there is plenty of room for everyone. The road is wide and there are very very few cars. If there were, OBVIOUSLY I would get out of the way - but more likely I wouldn't even be running there.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm talking crazy here, by why not just get out of the way? Why do you have to "deal" with them? They are on a bike moving with a ton of velocity. In a collision you will both look like you were in a motorcycle accident. If you get out of their way, are you moving backwards? Will you lose all your gainz? Will it throw off the reading on your HRM?
  • plarcade
    Options

Simple physics say that both that and an elbow are a good way to end up with a broken arm...

Lets say you are 175lbs, moving at 6 mph (80 kg @ 2.75 m/s). The bicycle is 200 lbs moving at 20 mph (90 kg @ 9 m/s). You've got 220 kg m/s momentum. They have 810 kg m/s momentum. You are going to take most of the impact. Assume you take ALL the impact, going from +2.75 to -9 m/s. Your arm would be absorbing about 2000 N of force.
    That made me smile, but it IS very interesting, thank you :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    carry a stick and shove in between their front spokes, as they fly past
  • Double_Tapp
    Options
    I run against the traffic, so at least I can see the idiots coming, and keep to the side of the road; it's not like I'm dancing all over the shop disrupting their way sooo... How do you handle them? Ignore?

Perhaps your problem is that you are running against traffic. Personally if I was on "MY" side of the road and you were coming at me, I would aim at you too! Just sayin, courtesy works both ways!
  • plarcade
    Options
    Maybe I'm talking crazy here, by why not just get out of the way? Why do you have to "deal" with them? They are on a bike moving with a ton of velocity. In a collision you will both look like you were in a motorcycle accident. If you get out of their way, are you moving backwards? Will you lose all your gainz? Will it throw off the reading on your HRM?
    No, you're right, I will get out of the way/avoid in future. It was the intimidating attitude of the cyclist that angered me more than the actual yielding and wondered if anyone else had had similar experiences. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have tried to run a rugby player off the road....