Tired of Bar Scene. Now What?

Options
Easywider
Easywider Posts: 434 Member
Like most of you 20 somethings...I work long hours during the week and enjoy sizing the most out of my weekends. A large majority of my age group spends gratuitous amounts of time and money in bars/clubs/lounges...and while that was fun for the first year or so...The appeal has faded to a 'special occasion/celebration only' sort of status.

So that leads me to my question...Where are other fun places to mix it up with opposite sex who share similar lifestyle preferences?

Replies

• DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way. I actually ended up meeting my husband on Match.com I heard they now offer activities per age group/interest which they didn't when he and I were on there. Maybe take a couple classes if you can? Something that interests you. Like I love cooking, and I took a few of those. Met a couple friends that way.
  • jessicayoung82
    jessicayoung82 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Gave up on the bar scene years ago and I don't miss it at all. Last time I was in a bar was February, and it was the only time this year. Find classes workout or otherwise that you like. That way you are meeting people with similar interests. You can meet new people just about anywhere. Plus since we stopped going to the bars, my weekends are so much more productive and we save so much money.
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way. I actually ended up meeting my husband on Match.com I heard they now offer activities per age group/interest which they didn't when he and I were on there. Maybe take a couple classes if you can? Something that interests you. Like I love cooking, and I took a few of those. Met a couple friends that way.

Cooking classes! That's a great idea..I love to cook! I always thought those sorts of classes would be more suited towards the 30+ crowd.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    I'm 22 and I get what you mean completely. I don't think it's a good place to meet people in general, but it doesn't help when it just gets boring going out night after night.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I got this. I cannot drink so the bar scene is a total no go for me. I don't have the money and I have alcoholics in my family so I try to avoid drinking.

I always met people through school or work. Another good way is to do activities you enjoy. I've made good friends by volunteering at animal shelters or going rock climbing with my friends. I also loved my self defense class and had a great time pairing up with the guys to practice (most of the girls weren't strong enough to fight me). I also go to the game shop near by and play in card tournaments. It's tons of fun, much cheaper than a bar and the regulars are awesome.

Just remember, stick with activities you like. They'll give you the best chance of running into someone who loves the same stuff you do.
  • BuckeyeBoi
    BuckeyeBoi Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Try new hobbies which opens you up to a whole new social circle!
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Yeah...bar scene not my thing. I've met more people just expanding my interests and being willing to travel a little bit further than where I live. But do stick to things you like...that way you are not trying too hard and you'll be your true self when you meet new people.:bigsmile:
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    So that leads me to my question...Where are other fun places to mix it up with opposite sex who share similar lifestyle preferences?

What about MFP!
    How you doin'? :wink:
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm in the same boat!
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Bar scene is terrible for meeting girls...except every other place is even worse. work or gym? hah....please.
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    School for me works.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Volunteer your time to a cause that's near to your heart! Not only will you be giving back to society, you'll meet up with other people who are passionate, energetic, and generous. :smile:
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I am 24 and completely skipped the bar scene somehow LOL. I go to sports pubs once a month with my husband. I've been in an actual bar a couple times but usually with family.

I don't socialize much at all but maybe try meetup.com or if you have a job see if you can network through that. If you go to school still you can network in clubs and extra activities on campus.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Try the internet?
  • kmarie0614
    kmarie0614 Posts: 102 Member
    Options

What about MFP!
    How you doin'? :wink:

LOL mfp seems to be the spot now.
  • dr2k12
    dr2k12 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    The bar scene is a ton of fun for a period of time and then it just get's tired. I was a bartender for years so I was in it deep and when it was time to go I ran for the door... Luckily I had my adorable wife leave with me, I actually met her there!

I think if I was single and needed to meet someone now it would probably be through my business contacts ( I have some really cool clients) or I would take a stab at a Match.com. I think the stigma of dating sites is unwarranted if you are using a legit one and honestly trying to meet someone you would enjoy...
  • I have social anxiety, so crowded places like bars are not my favourite place to be. If I'm not drunk, then I am just uncomfortable. And if I'm drunk, then I'm not going to be creating any meaningful friendships or anything like that. Besides, most bars I go to are gay bars and I just go for the drag shows and then leave.

I meet people through doing theatre. I never really had friends until I started doing theatre. But theatre folk UNDERSTAND me or something cheesy along those lines. So I mean, if you have something that you love to do and love being involved in, do that thing, get involved in that thing, and you'll find people that also like doing/being involved in that thing and sharing a common passion is one of the best ways to connect to somebody, I think.
  • ashlbubba
    ashlbubba Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    When I was 22 I met my now-husband on Match.com .. A friend of mine was using it and meeting so many really great guys so I figured why not? People gripe about how much it costs ( I think I spent around $70 for 6 months? ) .. but honestly it was the best $70 I've ever spent.. all the men I met were serious about dating and relationships and they were willing to spent some money on their membership to prove it.
  • Rope_Jumper
    Options
    Volunteer your time to a cause that's near to your heart! Not only will you be giving back to society, you'll meet up with other people who are passionate, energetic, and generous. :smile:

^^^^^THIS^^^^^
  • dr2k12
    dr2k12 Posts: 291 Member
    Options

AWESOME!