Tired of Bar Scene. Now What?

Options

Replies

• rnctipton
    rnctipton Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Church is often a good place to meet wonderful people.
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Lots of great suggestions in this thread, thank you.

To clarify...I'm not looking for my soul mate or anything...Just some more like minded people who I can open up new social circles with. I love meeting new people and sharing experiences.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    bump
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    See if your town has Livingsocial Adventures.. I've done 2 so far, and its a great way to meet people who have similar interests :)
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options

To clarify...I'm not looking for my soul mate or anything...Just some more like minded people who I can open up new social circles with. I love meeting new people and sharing experiences.
    Check out meetup.com, it's free to join, (good for all age ranges) then you can put in your interest in the find group box and they will show you all the groups in your area that are on the site. Once you join a group (you can join as many as you want) you will receive notices by email when the group has something scheduled and if there is a fee, how much (for example, one group I'm in went bowling and we just had to pay to get into the bowling alley-the group got a discounted rate) you RSVP and go if it's something you're interested in doing.
  • montanadanni
    montanadanni Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    the bar scene is highly overrated and SUPER expensive!

try to find local forums on hobbies you enjoy. like baking or working out. online is a wonderful tool to find people who are like minded without spending any money.
    or
    spend a little money and join some clubs or groups. i joined a co-ed softball team and met a lot of new people including other teams/people. best of luck!
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Buy you one of them Russian brides. What could possibly go wrong there?
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options

Check out meetup.com, it's free to join, (good for all age ranges) then you can put in your interest in the find group box and they will show you all the groups in your area that are on the site. Once you join a group (you can join as many as you want) you will receive notices by email when the group has something scheduled and if there is a fee, how much (for example, one group I'm in went bowling and we just had to pay to get into the bowling alley-the group got a discounted rate) you RSVP and go if it's something you're interested in doing.

Seconded! I moved to a new country a few months ago and I've found a great group of folks who are all in the same boat of wanting to get out, meet people and have fun. It's not dating-focused, it's just a good way to meet likeminded folk. There are groups like hiking, book clubs, french conversation, cooking, debating, IT professionals, live music etc.

Also, I've found that it takes guts and a lot of effort to make new friends. You have to stick your neck out and make the first move, you have to go to things even if you're feeling shy or unsure, you have to be smiley and friendly and 'on'... and it takes time to build up.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna second the Meetup.com suggestion. Literally innumerable options there; you can choose whatever is interesting to you or try something totally new, you can choose a bigger group or a smaller group, and there isn't a cost, so it's win-win-win.
  • djsupreme6
    djsupreme6 Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    ^^^^MFP has some of the most beautiful women i've ever saw...good spot since its now a dating site anyway lol
  • Brizoeller
    Brizoeller Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I used to love the bar scene in college, now I pretty much despise it. Do you go to church? That's a great way. Other than that I would say maybe volunteering, the internet, work? I think a bar is a terrible place to meet a person, they are just looking to get laid :)
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    You just need to be so awesome that he party come to you :bigsmile:
  • KitchenAbs
    Options
    Check out your local fetish or swingers club :)
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
    Funny this is posted as I just recently decided to stay far away from the bars and going out. I haven't drank in 16 days which is a stark comparison to just 2 weeks ago when I was drinking Thurs-Sunday, every week. I decided, what is the point in doing all of this work to stay healthy and lose weight if come Thursday, I'm just going to drink it all away? Not to mention, the effects it has on my body that I can't see and also the effects it has on my wallet that I can see.

But I have found that now I'm not sure what to do either because ALL of my friends go out, the only thing they know how to do is drink. I think it's a midwest thing, everyone here bonds over drinking, if you aren't drinking, you don't have anything to do. I've just started to put more focus onto working out, doing well in school, looking for 5k's or things to do fitness wise on the weekends and also started to volunteer on the weekends at the local SPCA. Spending a Saturday playing with a bunch of cute dogs who are kept in cages most of their days, isn't a bad way to spend a Saturday. :)
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options

I hear that and the chicks are horny
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Maybe check out online groups for activities you're interested in, and see if they have activities planned. For example, here in so Cal we have a group called So Cal Trail Riders, and the members organize group rides pretty often. Or for hiking you could try All Trails. Members there organize group hikes all over the country. It's a great way to find people that you share similar interests with. Maybe even try joining a sports team in your area.

I'm with you - the bar scene gets really old really fast. And as far as meeting people there, I usually found that the people I met there weren't what they advertised themselves to be. People go to bars and clubs dressed up as something they're really not...
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
    I use this website to find upcoming races (5k's, trail runs, 10k's, etc).

www.runningintheusa.com
  • JessieGurlJb
    Options

I hear that and the chicks are horny
    Omg! That gave me a great little laugh thank you
  • tammyp10
    tammyp10 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Just a quick word of advice....be careful of the whole internet dating thing. You always don't get what is posted. I've tried it a couple times and the person who I was meeting was nothing like their profile!!! Always meet them in a public place so you can run qucik if need be :laugh:
    I actually had a hard time locating my date because his picture and reality weren't even close!! They feed you alot of crap so if it sounds too good to be true..it probally is. To those of you who actually had good luck...woohoo!! :drinker: It just didn't work for me. When I finally stopped looking is when I found someone. It's been 3yrs and we're still together.

Good Luck :happy:
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds cliche and not as fun, but online dating is really great. You can size people up by their profile (ie are they active, interests, etc) and then if you're still interested, go out (this gives you conclusive evidence if they were being truthful on their profile!). Plus, it's easy to fit in with work since it's available 24/7.

I met my boyfriend of 3 years on a free site and even before I met him, I went out with another awesome guy from the same site for about 2 years. Just be cautious and go with your gut!