Anyone at goal or has lost not doing low carb?

Options

Replies

• Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut out anything, just cut back on amount and frequency of certain foods. I love my carbs. I have stalled on the scale, but just measured a half inch off my waist and 3/4 inch off my neck (weird measurement); just from the last few weeks. Exercise and calorie counting!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I have never ever followed low carb. I just count calories and try to keep my macros in check as well, I try to get plenty of fiber and drink my water.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    i go over on carbs every single day LOL and ive lost 24 pounds... i started out 5'3 130 and now i am 106 lb...

couldnt care less about carbs in foods and when i say i go over i go over by quite a bit. every day.

edit: in fact i dont even deal with macros.. the only thing i care about in my macros list is sodium and potassium
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I eat about 55% carbs and lose just fine. Feel free to look at my diary.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Low carb doesn't necessarily mean cutting out all carbs. Your body does need some carbs. Most people who say they eat low carb are cutting out simple carbs like sugar in cakes, cookies, sodas. and white flour- chips, crackers, white breads, white rice and white pastas. They concentrate on eating more vegetables and higher fiber carbs i.e. fruits and whole grains, which fill you up. They also eat higher protein and good fats. These foods keep you fuller longer and allow you to eat less total calories. You can lower your calories 200-300 per day by cutting out sugar and simple carbs, but keep your proteins and good fats high, and you won't be any hungrier than you were eating at the higher level. Sugar and simple carbs also make your blood sugar spike and release a lot of insulin, causing you to crave more sugar.

Of course there are many people who have lost weight without cutting out sugar, bread, pastas, etc. They did so by cutting back on calories and exercising. It is harder to have a large calorie deficit while keeping your protein levels good, if you don't cut back on the sugars, etc. It will usually be a slower loss and you will need to do a lot of exercise to burn off the carbs in your diet, before you can start burning stored fats. But it can be done. It's all in the way you choose to lose.
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have lost 180 pounds and have eaten carbs (as in grains) with 2 of my meals per day....just most days I dont eat them with my evening meal.
  • astheygrowup
    astheygrowup Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have lost all my weight to this point without doing low carb.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I eat lots and lots of carbs and I've lost 100 pounds since my highest weight!
  • Littlegurl
    Littlegurl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    No fad diets here. It says I have 4 more lbs to lose, but I think I'm about at goal now. I have done more strength training and added more lean muscle than I ever anticipated when I set my goal. My doc also told me that I need more carbs than most ppl because I naturally go into ketosis without withholding carbs. And I'm not diabetic. I'm 5'2" and 108 lbs. I'm going to see what happens over the next month of working out and see if I'm at my goal weight and just focus on toning my abs more and my running goals.
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    My carb goal (ratio) is set at 40%. My fat goal (ratio) is set at 30%. I'm almost always over--sometimes way over, especially on fat. I try to get my carbs from whole grains, fruits, and veggies most of the time. I try to get as much protein as possible as well, but I'm usually under my goal. I've lost 23 pounds since March. Feel free to check out my diary if you'd like. Good luck!
  • debdelilah
    Options
    I lost 44 lbs in 2009 and kept it off almost entirely(I'm 5'4 and went from 158 to 114). As of this summer, I had regained a few to 121. I have lost it again and am down at 115; I am not really concerned with going lower this point, but am trying to get stronger. I never liked or tried a low carb diet, and when I lost in 2009, I lost fast - almost all the weight in 3 months. I lifted weights the entire time, and have always been muscular for a woman.
  • britishbcat
    Options
    At one time in my life I had lost 60lbs and never tried low carb once. I generally find I FEEL better (less bloating, more energy) when I eat non-grain carbs, but in the right portions, so a small sweet potato or 1/2 cup rice or quinoa.

Portion control has always worked for me.
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    I did low carb recently i lost 2lbs in 7 weeks the put it back on , low carb didn't work for me at all oh well you live and learn .All my weight you see on my ticker i lost eating lots of carbs
  • Rowan813
    Rowan813 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have tried low carb in the past and gained it all back. I lost 45 pounds not on a low carb plan and have done well. I do eat carbs, but keep it pretty clean overall. I love fruits, veggies and whole grains.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I lost 10 pounds eating 55% carbs. I try to not eat too many simple carbs like white bread and pasta, but I'm not super strict with it. It can be done.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I know lots of people who ate lots of carbs and lost lots of weight. In fact, I don't have a single friend on my friends list who eats a low carb diet. I eat lots of carbs and I don't pay attention to sugar at all and I've lost 77 pounds. Try to keep it whole and healthy but if it fits your macros, eat it.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I never ate low carb and I didn't have any problem losing (66 pounds). I've continued to 'carb it up' during maintenance, too. I'm in the range of 200-300g of carbs a day (roughly 50-55% of my calories) - and not all whole grain, 'healthy' carbs, either. I eat regular pasta, dessert, white bread and plenty other simple carbs.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 90 pounds and have had no problem maintaining without following any extreme low carb protocol. Diary is open if you want to look it over.
  • lilteeraw
    Options
    i eat as many carbs as i want(: just have to be the right kind of carbs.
    & exercise is important!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I've lost 85 lbs not doing low carb. I eat porridge (oatmeal) for breakfast half the week, I eat bread at some point of nearly every day, a tortilla wrap for lunch most days and very often have (white) pasta or potatoes for my evening meal. I also eat chocolate most days and have other various carbs. Not had a problem losing.