Anyone at goal or has lost not doing low carb?

Options

Replies

• Runs4Pasta
    Runs4Pasta Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Wow - I am so happy to see so many sensible people posting on this thread! :flowerforyou:
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Like most people here I'm not on a "diet". I changed my lifestyle where I can still eat what I want just less of it, I exercise more and I have shed over 50lbs this year.
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I track calories and work up a sweat 5-6 days per week. I basically eat whatever I want - I don't think low carb or any other restrictive diet is truly healthy. So far I'm losing an average of 8 pounds per month so it seems to be working for me.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Genes Point to Best Diets
    Gene Test Indicates Who Will Benefit From Low-Carb or Low-Fat Diets

SAN FRANCISCO—In the long-running debate over diets—low-fat or low-carb—Stanford University researchers reported Wednesday that a genetic test can help people choose which one works best for them.

In a study involving 133 overweight women, those with a genetic predisposition to benefit from a low-carbohydrate diet lost 2 1/2 times as much weight as those on the same diet without the predisposition. Similarly, women with a genetic makeup that favored a low-fat diet lost substantially more weight than women who curbed fat calories without low-fat genes. The women were followed for a year.

"Knowing your genotype for low-carb or low-fat diets could help you increase your weight-loss success," said Christopher Gardner, an associate professor of medicine at Stanford and a co-author of the study.

Data from a separate study indicate that 45% of white women have a low-carb genotype while 39% are predisposed to a low-fat diet, suggesting the test has the potential to yield a useful result for much of the population. The test is based on variations in three genes known to regulate how the body metabolizes fat and carbohydrates.

The findings need confirmation in a larger study, and additional research is also necessary to more clearly determine the usefulness of the test, including how it applies to men and different racial groups.

The results help explain a common phenomenon in the weight-loss wars: why two people decide to lose weight and go on the same diet and exercise plan, only to have one succeed while the other is frustrated.

The results suggest even strict adherence to a diet won't matter if people's diets are out of synch with their genetics, he added.

The test was developed by Interleukin Genetics Inc., a Waltham, Mass., developer of genetic tests that sponsored the study. The test uses a cheek swab to obtain cells for DNA analysis, and is on the market for $149.

In the past decade, about a dozen studies pitting low-fat vs. low-carb diets have been published in major medical journals. For the most part, no winner has emerged, and none of the diets resulted, on average, in weight loss exceeding 10 pounds in a year. Experts began to believe the type of diet didn't matter.

"This makes the whole topic relevant again," Dr. Gardner said.

Researchers said that determining a person's genetic predisposition could become a new tool in the battle against overweight and obesity.

"This is one step forward to realizing personalized nutrition for weight loss," said Mindy Dopler Nelson, a researcher at Stanford and lead author of the report. The researchers said they didn't have any financial interest in the Interleukin Genetics test.

"To match individuals with a diet type will help us to better target interventions and help them be successful," added Sachiko St. Jeor, a professor in the division of endocrinology, nutrition and metabolism at University of Nevada School of Medicine, Reno. Dr. St. Jeor wasn't involved with the study.

The study, presented at the American Heart Association's annual epidemiology and prevention conference, has just been submitted to a medical journal and thus hasn't yet cleared rigorous peer review that precedes publication. But it was reviewed by a committee that approves papers for presentation at the meeting.

Despite the relatively small number of participants, the findings achieved strong statistical significance, researchers said, meaning it isn't likely they were the result of chance. The findings are also based in part on an earlier paper, called the A to Z weight-loss study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association in 2007.

Just matching the right diet with your genes doesn't guarantee significant weight loss for everyone, Dr. Gardner cautioned. If low-carb people make a diet out of low-carb cupcakes, he said, they're unlikely to see the results they want on a scale.

"It's not the end of the obesity epidemic," Dr. Gardner said. "But we need every leg-up we can get."

The 133 women were among 301 participants in the A to Z study, which compared the effects of four popular weight-loss diets: the Atkins and Zone diets, which are low-carb, and the Learn and Ornish diets, which call for curbing fat calories.

In that study, the Atkins diet was slightly more effective than the other three, but on average, the total weight loss after one year was only about 10 pounds.

Yet, Dr. Nelson pointed out, within each diet group, a handful of women lost more than 30 pounds, while some others gained about 10 pounds. The new study examined whether genetics could explain part of the more than 40-pound swing.

Kenneth S. Kornman, president and chief scientific officer at Interleukin, said the company asked if the Stanford team could use its genetic test on the A to Z participants to see if their genetic makeup predicted their weight-loss experience.

Since Stanford researchers hadn't obtained any DNA samples in the study, Dr. Nelson led an effort to track down the original participants. She said over 130 agreed to submit cheek swab samples to determine their genetic predisposition. The researchers re-analyzed the study based on the genetic results.

the science behind the study - http://www.inherenthealth.com/media/4759/wm_scientific summary.pdf
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I found out that I had insulin resistance eight months ago and was put on a low cab diet. I eat a 15 carb to 7 protein ratio and I love it. The change has really taught me how to portion control and eat better foods.
    We all have insulin resistance....
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I lost 55 pounds and 10 dress sizes eating at 55% carbs.

Carbs are not the enemy. Over-eating it.
  • AntWrig
    Options
    Genes Point to Best Diets
    Gene Test Indicates Who Will Benefit From Low-Carb or Low-Fat Diets

SAN FRANCISCO—In the long-running debate over diets—low-fat or low-carb—Stanford University researchers reported Wednesday that a genetic test can help people choose which one works best for them.

In a study involving 133 overweight women, those with a genetic predisposition to benefit from a low-carbohydrate diet lost 2 1/2 times as much weight as those on the same diet without the predisposition. Similarly, women with a genetic makeup that favored a low-fat diet lost substantially more weight than women who curbed fat calories without low-fat genes. The women were followed for a year.

"Knowing your genotype for low-carb or low-fat diets could help you increase your weight-loss success," said Christopher Gardner, an associate professor of medicine at Stanford and a co-author of the study.

Data from a separate study indicate that 45% of white women have a low-carb genotype while 39% are predisposed to a low-fat diet, suggesting the test has the potential to yield a useful result for much of the population. The test is based on variations in three genes known to regulate how the body metabolizes fat and carbohydrates.

The findings need confirmation in a larger study, and additional research is also necessary to more clearly determine the usefulness of the test, including how it applies to men and different racial groups.

The results help explain a common phenomenon in the weight-loss wars: why two people decide to lose weight and go on the same diet and exercise plan, only to have one succeed while the other is frustrated.

The results suggest even strict adherence to a diet won't matter if people's diets are out of synch with their genetics, he added.

The test was developed by Interleukin Genetics Inc., a Waltham, Mass., developer of genetic tests that sponsored the study. The test uses a cheek swab to obtain cells for DNA analysis, and is on the market for $149.

In the past decade, about a dozen studies pitting low-fat vs. low-carb diets have been published in major medical journals. For the most part, no winner has emerged, and none of the diets resulted, on average, in weight loss exceeding 10 pounds in a year. Experts began to believe the type of diet didn't matter.

"This makes the whole topic relevant again," Dr. Gardner said.

Researchers said that determining a person's genetic predisposition could become a new tool in the battle against overweight and obesity.

"This is one step forward to realizing personalized nutrition for weight loss," said Mindy Dopler Nelson, a researcher at Stanford and lead author of the report. The researchers said they didn't have any financial interest in the Interleukin Genetics test.

"To match individuals with a diet type will help us to better target interventions and help them be successful," added Sachiko St. Jeor, a professor in the division of endocrinology, nutrition and metabolism at University of Nevada School of Medicine, Reno. Dr. St. Jeor wasn't involved with the study.

The study, presented at the American Heart Association's annual epidemiology and prevention conference, has just been submitted to a medical journal and thus hasn't yet cleared rigorous peer review that precedes publication. But it was reviewed by a committee that approves papers for presentation at the meeting.

Despite the relatively small number of participants, the findings achieved strong statistical significance, researchers said, meaning it isn't likely they were the result of chance. The findings are also based in part on an earlier paper, called the A to Z weight-loss study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association in 2007.

Just matching the right diet with your genes doesn't guarantee significant weight loss for everyone, Dr. Gardner cautioned. If low-carb people make a diet out of low-carb cupcakes, he said, they're unlikely to see the results they want on a scale.

"It's not the end of the obesity epidemic," Dr. Gardner said. "But we need every leg-up we can get."

The 133 women were among 301 participants in the A to Z study, which compared the effects of four popular weight-loss diets: the Atkins and Zone diets, which are low-carb, and the Learn and Ornish diets, which call for curbing fat calories.

In that study, the Atkins diet was slightly more effective than the other three, but on average, the total weight loss after one year was only about 10 pounds.

Yet, Dr. Nelson pointed out, within each diet group, a handful of women lost more than 30 pounds, while some others gained about 10 pounds. The new study examined whether genetics could explain part of the more than 40-pound swing.

Kenneth S. Kornman, president and chief scientific officer at Interleukin, said the company asked if the Stanford team could use its genetic test on the A to Z participants to see if their genetic makeup predicted their weight-loss experience.

Since Stanford researchers hadn't obtained any DNA samples in the study, Dr. Nelson led an effort to track down the original participants. She said over 130 agreed to submit cheek swab samples to determine their genetic predisposition. The researchers re-analyzed the study based on the genetic results.

the science behind the study - http://www.inherenthealth.com/media/4759/wm_scientific summary.pdf
    Oh boy.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Low carb works for some, and not for others. Our bodies are all different, what makes us gain weight is different. Carbs happen to be a trigger food for me. i crave like crazy when i eat carbs.

I don't consider eating low carb a fad diet, it's a way of life. Just like someone who knows if they over indulge and go over their calories day after day they will gain weight. I know that if I over indulge and go over my carbs I will gain weight. It's the same difference. We all just have to find what works for us. Low carb works for me. I hope you find what works for you!! :)
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I am a carb queen.

Have lost what I wanted and am hitting maintenance not by eating low carb/low fat/fresh air...but by eating the things I like but with better portion control. That is my magical and amazingly complicated scientifici diet tip. :)
  • AntWrig
    Options
    Low carb works for some, and not for others. Our bodies are all different, what makes us gain weight is different. Carbs happen to be a trigger food for me. i crave like crazy when i eat carbs.

I don't consider eating low carb a fad diet, it's a way of life. Just like someone who knows if they over indulge and go over their calories day after day they will gain weight. I know that if I over indulge and go over my carbs I will gain weight. It's the same difference. We all just have to find what works for us. Low carb works for me. I hope you find what works for you!! :)
    Carbohydrates comprise hundreds of different foods. I had to cut out peanut butter, because I know I can eat the whole jar. You don't see me saying all fats are bad.

This is just my opinion... The majority of the people I see who cut carbs are the ones who do it, because that is what they heard was the right way. They don't under the basics of nutriton (calories in vs calories out). Regarding the whole genetic thing, I am not going to say there are not genetic differences, I will say many run to genetics.

I was one of those low carb people, afraid to eat white bread, white rice, etc. I finally learned and have made amazing progress. Mind you, I thought I was one of these endomorphic types who couldn't eat ANY breads, pasta, rice. I use to joke about getting fat, just by looking at bread. Silly me.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Oh boy.

Read the study first. :)
  • AntWrig
    Options
    Oh boy.

Read the study first. :)
    I have read the study. That is why I said, oh boy.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Yes I have lost and at least 50% of my daily diet is carbs. I am 7lbs away from my goal and I do martial arts 2.5 hours a week as well as HIIT 3 or 4 times a week. The carbs are my fuel, which might not work for everyone but it definitely works for me.
  • cec813
    cec813 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The first 118 pounds I did the old fashioned way, eat less and move more. That is the healthiest weight loss program. It took a year and a half to do it, but the old saying slow and steady wins the race works. I still have 12 pounds to go to get to my goal, and it will take three months. Carbs are important, but eat them early in the day. ALWAYS eat protien with carbs to keep your blood sugar from spiking (that makes you hungrier) and dont eat simple carbs. Gallons of water and lots of excercise and you will get there. Good luck!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I've never tried low carb or any other fad diet because I know I would be way too crotchety. I don't even monitor my carbs at all - I just track my calories and exercise. As you can see from my ticker, I've been successful in my weight loss journey.

Ditto, same for me. I don't even look at the macros on here.
    I had to make it realistic for me.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I aim for 40% carbs, but it's usually more like 50%. And really the only reason I shoot for 40% is because I'm trying to up protein. Hasn't hurt me a bit.
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    41 pounds down - still going - and I love me some good carbs!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I just messed with my macros today but no..I have never focused on doing lower carb. If what I happen to eat is lower carb..it's by accident. I definitely try to choose healthier foods, but I'm not afraid of the occasional sweet or junk. I've just learned to watch my portions and eat smarter.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining since November 16th. I have not watched my carbs, only counting calories. I had 15-ish lbs to lose that I've been carrying around for 10+ years.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs. I love my carbs! My daily goal is around 170 gr a day but if I go over it it doesn't really matter. You lose weight by been at a deficit from TDEE. Macros are more important for body re composition IMO.

Oh, I lost weight by eating at a small deficit.