• kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    not for a 6 year old. a 12-year-old maybe. 6 no

that kid should be outside!!
  • dg730
    dg730 Posts: 62
    Options
    My daughter is 4 and has one. Shes is to smart for leap frog. I say its ok. got a cheap one at 150.
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i'm going to point out one thing here:

for those of you who responded and have NO CHILDREN, just bite your tongue now. we'll meet again when you have your OWN kids and see where you stand on the matter.

There is nothing wrong with expressing an opinion! Yes I don't have children YET but the message did not say "For Parents Only!" I will think twice before responding to such posts in the future.

nope, you are correct. absolutely nothing wrong with expressing your opinion. i'm just saying...when you have your own children, you may be singing a different tune. and not just on this topic but several other facets of life. that's all.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    "Give him books, attention, play and fresh air, those are more organic learning tools"
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Seriously I cannot believe this has got such a negative response??!!

They use Ipads in my sons nursery and he is 15 months!! He loves it and what a great way to interact with a child, through the process of learning.

I have a primary school diary from when I was aged 4 and there is an entry where I talk about going home after school and writing a program on our Sinclair. I am talking 30 odd years ago!

If I send my son to nursery and he uses one there, it only makes sense that we get one for him at home so he can continue his learning, hands on.

Technology is driving the education of the future, if you stiffle it now, you may as well get the stone tablets out because that's where you're heading.

* Typed using my work PC, of which I was educated to use 30 years ago! *
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    "Give him books, attention, play and fresh air, those are more organic learning tools"

Why do so many people think if a child has an iPad, they don't also have these things? It's sheer ignorance.
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options

Why do so many people think if a child has an iPad, they don't also have these things? It's sheer ignorance.

Agreed.
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options

Agreed.

totally agree! or that if a child has an iPad, they must spend every waking hour of the day on the damn thing! our iPad is at arm's reach from my son. he can have it any given time of the day as he pleases. but he really only wants to play with it an hour out of the day at the most. most of the time, he is digging in his toy box for matchbox cars and building a garage out of his lego/duplo set. the iPad is just PART of the ENTIRE child-rearing package!
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I love my Ipad. No way will I let my 7 year old near it.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    "What? No. Get him a book and an etchasketch."

^^Wins

Plus, I'm not a fan of kids having nicer toys than ME

ditto

on the other hand they may be able to teach me how to use it LOL
  • boogie17
    boogie17 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    my now 4yr old got an ipad for christmas from his great grandma last year. great learning tool for him. i teach him at home as well, but some of the learning apps, help. he's well advanced for preschool, as his teachers told me.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Haven't been in this thread for over a day.

Is the ugly jealousy still rampant?