6 year olds and iPads...

Options

Replies

• magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Books do still exist. They are cheaper and better because they don't break !

Actually... they're not.

A nook runs you about 60-120$$

a kindle, you can get for 70-180$

a kid's book can cost anywhere between 1-5$ at a young age.

5 seuss books can cost you $23+ (starting at the used price)
    The judy blume Fudge collection can run you about $15+ (again, used)
    Nook books are typically 1-2$ + cheaper.
    My oldest (heavy reader) has about 200 books.. after purging all the kid books. in 19 years she has acquired every seuss, bloom book, 1/2 king's collection, sisterhood series, potter.. all of it. The classics from to kill a mocking bird to a tree grows in Brooklyn. it would have saved me hundreds of $$ an a LOT of space. My niece? she makes my daughter's collection look like child's play.

The E-reader would have saved me hundreds of dollars ++. Yes, The Library is free (gas$$) and you can use Library nook books for free (and save gas $$. ) we live about 4 mi. from the closest library that is quite inadequate.

Also, yes. Books break. They get torn, written on, wet... all that fun stuff.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    "Colouring books and puzzles will do that to, as well as help develop fine motor skills."
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Whether it is a learning tool or not, the other distractions on it outweigh the learning tool. There are games, movies, etc that they'll get addicted to and it'll spoil them into thinking that they can get whatever they want. I strongly disagree with giving young kids these technologies, I understand sometimes it's easier to just shut them up with these but it's better to teach them to hard way.

The "other distractions" are only if you allow it. You don't have to download games and movies. You can block the Internet so they don't have unlimited access. And as far as spoiling them, my son didn't ask for it, it was a gift.

And only bad parents would give it to a kid to shut them up...and we never to take it into a restaurant to entertain them. That is family time...

It all depends on what kind of a parent you are as to how your child will be. Spoil them and yes they might turn out to be spoiled brats. Teach them, spend time with them and they'll be responsible kids.
  • amy_36
    amy_36 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Whether it is a learning tool or not, the other distractions on it outweigh the learning tool. There are games, movies, etc that they'll get addicted to and it'll spoil them into thinking that they can get whatever they want. I strongly disagree with giving young kids these technologies, I understand sometimes it's easier to just shut them up with these but it's better to teach them to hard way.

And why is it assumed that if you buy something like this that is to "shut them up"? The iPad isn't raising my 17 yr old autistic son. It is a tool that we use to communicate with him. And my 9 yr old still has friends, plays at the park, etc. I am sure there are people out there who merely let their children sit in front of video games, etc and don't do a thing with them but they are not the majority.
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options

And why is it assumed that if you buy something like this that is to "shut them up"? The iPad isn't raising my 17 yr old autistic son. It is a tool that we use to communicate with him. And my 9 yr old still has friends, plays at the park, etc. I am sure there are people out there who merely let their children sit in front of video games, etc and don't do a thing with them but they are not the majority.

That comment came from a child...that's why I ignored it. I agree with you 100% though.
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    I would say it depends on the child and what kind of use it would be.
    I would give one of my children one because I know she takes good care of her things but her sister, not a chance, she is constantly dropping her mobile. They are 10 and 13. If they were 6 I don´t think so unless they needed one like if they had disabilities and it could help them. I want one but it costs almost my month paycheck.
  • bebreli
    bebreli Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Weren't available when my kids were that age. However, if they were available, I wouldn't have asked for support from strangers on the issue. Nor would I be so bold as to tell someone what they should or shouldn't purchase for their child. As long as it's not illegal or wrong, it's nobody's business.

YES!! I have twin two year olds and the ipad has been an "invaluable" learning tool.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    As LNG as it's not my money and not my kid then I don't care. BUT if they ask me for early education and ideas I will let them know my thoughts in the iPad for 6 yr olds.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher and we have iPads in school for kids to use and they actually are a great tool.

As long as they aren't sitting there using it 24/7 they have some great applications for learning.
  • mandy0688
    mandy0688 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    "What? No. Get him a book and an etchasketch."

This, I don't even have an Ipad. I can't stand ppl giving there kids a cell phone at eight years old! I didn't get one until I was fifteen and almost old enough to drive and then it was for EMERGENCYS only
  • magj0y
    Options

This, I don't even have an Ipad. I can't stand ppl giving there kids a cell phone at eight years old! I didn't get one until I was fifteen and almost old enough to drive and then it was for EMERGENCYS only

please don't be a cookie cutter mom. What's good for your child doesn't mean it's good for mine.
  • indigo_rose
    Options

Really?? There is this thing called responsible parenting.. So knowing when enough is enough before it even gets to that point.. I dont think that exposing my 3 kids to a wonderful piece of technology will eventually lead them to tech addiction.. Unless you dont know know the word NO. my 4 yr old plays my iPad, every day.. He also rides his scooter everyday.. And gets a book read to him before bed every night. My 8 year old is getting one off Santa this year.. Get with the times people.. Let's face it.. If these were available when we were younger chances are.. If your parents could afford it, you would have got one.. Jeez.. Anyone would think after reading this feed that I gave my child a loaded gun to play with..
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I would agree it can be a great learning tool, but I wouldn't purchase the iPad for him. You can purchase a different brand at a much cheaper price.

I have a nephew 5th grader, so about 11 years old and a school requirement was a laptop Mac of course. His parents spent about $1500 and that was with the discount the school received. The dollar amount to me is a bit extreme and of course I wonder why the schools are so particular with the brand name. Someone must be receiving a fat check (kick back)!!!
  • AliciaStaton
    AliciaStaton Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Agree with some of the comments, a 6 year old does not need an IPad, there are lots of educational ones which are also fun and entertaining. Thats the problem with our world today, our kids need to be part of the computer age but at what price
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I have one, but my 3yr old uses it more than I do. I bought the Kid Mode puzzles app, he does Dora puzzles on it. He loves puzzles! Bonus, we haven't lost a puzzle piece yet! I do not see how there is anything wrong with that, and I don't understand why people are so judgmental about children using technology. I think it's amazing.

ITA with you! Technology is the way of the world.
  • indigo_rose
    Options
    My boys have been using their grandparents iPads for years and they are 4 1/2 and 8. We just bought our 8 year old one for his birthday. He is on the A-b honor roll, in second grade and reading at a 4th grade level in the accelerated reader program. Plays baseball and soccer year round. Gets plenty of exercise outside. He has chores which include clearing the table and loading the dishwasher, making his bed and he does his laundry and put it away. (No, I'm not a mean mom, I believe in teaching kids they have responsibilities)

I have no problem with him having one. (They use them at school in computer lab anyway) it doesn't interfere with him being a kid and its very educational. It also teaches him reaponsibility and consequences. We've had no issues so far and he often will choose to play outside over using it...

As for your decision if you ex isn't paying bills or supporting your child then no, you shouldn't be splitting the bill with him.

Amen!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Let's say, hypothetically of course, someone wants to get a SIX year old an iPad. "It's a great learning tool," is the argument of said person.

How would you respond??

Completely hypothetically... of course.

I think that needs to be on a case by case basis. I happen to know of a handful of preschoolers and elementary kids who HAVE iPads. The children have disabilities and it is cheaper to get an ipad and software than it is to get a 'real' communication device. In their case, it is an essential tool.

In this day and age, children are getting expensive electronics younger and younger. If this is your typical 6 year old you are talking about...let the person get it for the child, but control the content and the amount of time spent on it until the child is older. There are apps such as Kindle that are awesome for younger kids--my 7 year old LOVES my kindle. He has been using my laptop unassisted since he was 3 years old...
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options

Amen.
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I would go the cheaper route and get an Android tablet if I wanted to make such a purchase.

This. My 7 year old is getting one this year, and he'll be monitored on it just like he is with the computer. It's also not going to be carried with him wherever he goes either (unless it's to the grandparents or something - where again, he'll be monitored).
    It's an educational tool that teaches hand eye co-ordination, typing/internet skills, game play etc, and I think he'll enjoy it - as well as leave my laptop alone :P
    I'm just not paying for the iPad when the tablet does the same things for half the price...
  • magj0y
    Options

Amen.

Yes, because an etchasketch or book is so much more educational than a tablet. :ohwell: