Do you eat back your burned calories?

Options
I am just curious how many people eat back all of their burned calories? In general I try not to, but I am now trying to really burn them. I'm pushing myself harder I want these last 20lbs to come off. So just curious how others have lost the last bit of weight and if they ate back calories burned or stayed in their original calorie intake for the day?

Replies

• DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I eat back my burned calories. It says I can, so I do it. I've lost inches, but not that many pounds. I like to think I've built some muscle.... ; )
  • sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    i eat back some of it ... usually never more then half or i feel like i am cheating
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Not all of them. I like to leave margin for error.
  • phyllio77
    phyllio77 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I try to eat um all up....your muscles need them to do what ever it is muscles do when you are losing fat.
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    Yes. If you're using MFP correctly and logging your exercise calories, you should be eating them back.
  • PHXBlondie
    PHXBlondie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I only eat a portion of them back. If I eat them all back, it tends to stall my weight loss.
  • BITEME_GRRR
    BITEME_GRRR Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    you should eat them. over time your body will lose the weight...just consume a little less than what you use if you starve yourself then your metabolism will slow down...
  • rachelerwin
    rachelerwin Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I never do.
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Haha! Never!!
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    50 % of them, only
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Not all of them. I like to leave margin for error.

This. I also try to focus on protein intake after a workout to make the calories most effective.
  • r0se125
    r0se125 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. Kinda what I was thinking. Today was the first time since starting this that I really burnt a BIG number of calories so was not sure how to handle it lol. and I track EVERYTHING that goes into my mouth and any real exercise that I do.
  • boughtthedress
    boughtthedress Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat back my burned calories and stick to my original calorie goal. I have been "on again/off again" posting my food and activity, and find that when I post and do not consume my burned calories my weight goes down. I am down 10 lbs since the summer and looking to drop 15 more by the end of the year. :happy:
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I don't. Although I am exercising five or six days per week, I count on that to help me burn the fat (I'm at the beginning of a long journey) so I stay within my calorie limit and consider what I burn off with exercise a bonus. Although......my trainer told me to increase my calories substantially from what MFP recommended, so maybe I actually AM eating my exercise calories, lol. I have lost almost 30 pounds since the end of July, so it's working for me.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Yes. If you're using MFP correctly and logging your exercise calories, you should be eating them back.

^ The man who has lost 194lbs gets my vote for the correct answer.

I eat mine back unless it's over a thousand calories burned, just because I find it hard to eat that much extra food.
  • kjjm08
    kjjm08 Posts: 217 Member
    Options

^ The man who has lost 194lbs gets my vote for the correct answer.

I eat mine back unless it's over a thousand calories burned, just because I find it hard to eat that much extra food.

I agree with both of these posters :)
  • moontyrant
    moontyrant Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    All the time, because I'm bad. Usually, though, it's because I'm not paying attention and I eat something that is astronomically bad for me, and I end up trying to burn it off so I can have dinner later.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I always have! And, especially now with maintaining. If I didn't I'd be severely low in calories for the day as my maintenance cals are 1450. If I dance/exercise off 400 then it's just not enough to live on healthfully.

That said, I only eat back my net exercise calories. That means I subtract my resting calories from whatever my HRM says I've burned.

IT HAS DEFINITELY WORKED FOR ME :drinker:
  • rpm2012
    rpm2012 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Depends, I believe MFP over counts calories burned for exercise. When I eat all of the exercise calories back I lose weight very slowly, or maintain weight. This could be because MFP has not accurately determined my BMR. I have stopped eating my exercise calories back about a week and a half ago and have broken out of a slight plateau. When I originally lost 100 lbs last year I did not eat them back. I have about 20-25 lbs to go, when I reach that goal I will start eating back the calories burned.
  • r0se125
    r0se125 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I ate back some. I've been eating 1200 calories for so long now its hard to eat more then that lol. Thank you again everyone who answered I read all the post and definantly taking them all into account. :) ur all awesome and great job with your weight losses :)