200+ (Week 15)

Options

Replies

• RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I'm fairly new to this site and just checking things out. Thought I would join your challenge! :-)
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    Welcome Jess:flowerforyou: New people are always welcome. We actually only have 1 week and a few days left in our Valentine's Challenge. We weigh in every Friday and start a new thread on Fridays. Look for week 16 this Friday (by the way thanks Kristina for taking that job over :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: ) Just jump in and start posting about yourself, questions and lifes up and downs. If you want to learn more about us, search through our past threads.

cds - my thoughts and prayers are with you. Moving sucks. I hate packing. Don't forget to log hauling boxes as exercise:wink: Good luck with your weigh-in. Is this the first week that you have upped your food intake?

My short work day was nice but now I have tons of paperwork to catch up on :grumble: MFP is much more fun than doing real work. Only 30 more min to snow shoeing - the sun is out and it should be over 30 :bigsmile: No wonder I've been feeling so crappy - TOM came 2 days early. I really do feel much better today but the Excedrin is probably helping.
  • pinbotchick
    Options
    I read this in someones blog today and thought we could all use the reminder

Why The Scale Lies
    by Renee Cloe, ACE Certified Personal Trainer

We’ve been told over an over again that daily weighing is unnecessary, yet many of us can’t resist peeking at that number every morning. If you just can’t bring yourself to toss the scale in the trash, you should definitely familiarize yourself with the factors that influence it’s readings. From water retention to glycogen storage and changes in lean body mass, daily weight fluctuations are normal. They are not indicators of your success or failure. Once you understand how these mechanisms work, you can free yourself from the daily battle with the bathroom scale.

Water makes up about 60% of total body mass. Normal fluctuations in the body’s water content can send scale-watchers into a tailspin if they don’t understand what’s happening. Two factors influencing water retention are water consumption and salt intake. Strange as it sounds, the less water you drink, the more of it your body retains. If you are even slightly dehydrated your body will hang onto it’s water supplies with a vengeance, possibly causing the number on the scale to inch upward. The solution is to drink plenty of water.

Excess salt (sodium) can also play a big role in water retention. A single teaspoon of salt contains over 2,000 mg of sodium. Generally, we should only eat between 1,000 and 3,000 mg of sodium a day, so it’s easy to go overboard. Sodium is a sneaky substance. You would expect it to be most highly concentrated in salty chips, nuts, and crackers. However, a food doesn’t have to taste salty to be loaded with sodium. A half cup of instant pudding actually contains nearly four times as much sodium as an ounce of salted nuts, 460 mg in the pudding versus 123 mg in the nuts. The more highly processed a food is, the more likely it is to have a high sodium content. That’s why, when it comes to eating, it’s wise to stick mainly to the basics: fruits, vegetables, lean meat, beans, and whole grains. Be sure to read the labels on canned foods, boxed mixes, and frozen dinners.

Women may also retain several pounds of water prior to menstruation. This is very common and the weight will likely disappear as quickly as it arrives. Pre-menstrual water-weight gain can be minimized by drinking plenty of water, maintaining an exercise program, and keeping high-sodium processed foods to a minimum.

Another factor that can influence the scale is glycogen. Think of glycogen as a fuel tank full of stored carbohydrate. Some glycogen is stored in the liver and some is stored the muscles themselves. This energy reserve weighs more than a pound and it’s packaged with 3-4 pounds of water when it’s stored. Your glycogen supply will shrink during the day if you fail to take in enough carbohydrates. As the glycogen supply shrinks you will experience a small imperceptible increase in appetite and your body will restore this fuel reserve along with it’s associated water. It’s normal to experience glycogen and water weight shifts of up to 2 pounds per day even with no changes in your calorie intake or activity level. These fluctuations have nothing to do with fat loss, although they can make for some unnecessarily dramatic weigh-ins if you’re prone to obsessing over the number on the scale.

Otherwise rational people also tend to forget about the actual weight of the food they eat. For this reason, it’s wise to weigh yourself first thing in the morning before you’ve had anything to eat or drink. Swallowing a bunch of food before you step on the scale is no different than putting a bunch of rocks in your pocket. The 5 pounds that you gain right after a huge dinner is not fat. It’s the actual weight of everything you’ve had to eat and drink. The added weight of the meal will be gone several hours later when you’ve finished digesting it.

Exercise physiologists tell us that in order to store one pound of fat, you need to eat 3,500 calories more than your body is able to burn. In other words, to actually store the above dinner as 5 pounds of fat, it would have to contain a whopping 17,500 calories. This is not likely, in fact it’s not humanly possible. So when the scale goes up 3 or 4 pounds overnight, rest easy, it’s likely to be water, glycogen, and the weight of your dinner. Keep in mind that the 3,500 calorie rule works in reverse also. In order to lose one pound of fat you need to burn 3,500 calories more than you take in. Generally, it’s only possible to lose 1-2 pounds of fat per week. When you follow a very low calorie diet that causes your weight to drop 10 pounds in 7 days, it’s physically impossible for all of that to be fat. What you’re really losing is water, glycogen, and muscle.

This brings us to the scale’s sneakiest attribute. It doesn’t just weigh fat. It weighs muscle, bone, water, internal organs and all. When you lose "weight," that doesn’t necessarily mean that you’ve lost fat. In fact, the scale has no way of telling you what you’ve lost (or gained). Losing muscle is nothing to celebrate. Muscle is a metabolically active tissue. The more muscle you have the more calories your body burns, even when you’re just sitting around. That’s one reason why a fit, active person is able to eat considerably more food than the dieter who is unwittingly destroying muscle tissue.

Robin Landis, author of "Body Fueling," compares fat and muscles to feathers and gold. One pound of fat is like a big fluffy, lumpy bunch of feathers, and one pound of muscle is small and valuable like a piece of gold. Obviously, you want to lose the dumpy, bulky feathers and keep the sleek beautiful gold. The problem with the scale is that it doesn’t differentiate between the two. It can’t tell you how much of your total body weight is lean tissue and how much is fat. There are several other measuring techniques that can accomplish this, although they vary in convenience, accuracy, and cost. Skin-fold calipers pinch and measure fat folds at various locations on the body, hydrostatic (or underwater) weighing involves exhaling all of the air from your lungs before being lowered into a tank of water, and bioelectrical impedance measures the degree to which your body fat impedes a mild electrical current.

If the thought of being pinched, dunked, or gently zapped just doesn’t appeal to you, don’t worry. The best measurement tool of all turns out to be your very own eyes. How do you look? How do you feel? How do your clothes fit? Are your rings looser? Do your muscles feel firmer? These are the true measurements of success. If you are exercising and eating right, don’t be discouraged by a small gain on the scale. Fluctuations are perfectly normal. Expect them to happen and take them in stride. It’s a matter of mind over scale.
  • akasullengal
    akasullengal Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    Great article. Thanks for the link!

I hope everyone is doing well today. Snow-shoeing sounds like tons of fun. We got about an inch of snow last night, so it's pretty out, but nothing fantastic.

I'm going out to dinner with an old coworker from my social work intern days for dinner tonight. Should be fun, but as it's getting closer to our weekly weigh-in date, and I probably won't get to the rec center today, I'm a bit worried about my calories. I'm going to try and find one of the more healthier items on the menu. I really want the veggie sandwich and fries, but I did have a veggie burger and fries on Monday, and it's just unacceptable to do it twice in a week. Plus, they have yummy mojitos, and I'd rather have one of those. I need to look at their menu for possible options.

Running went well yesterday. 8 minutes wasn't bad at all. I think I could have run a bit longer, but the 20 minutes without stopping seems pretty daunting. That's another reason why I wasn't going to go to the rec center today... save up some energy for tomorrow. Part of my issue, is doing any sort of exercise on a machine for 20 min straight can get boring. At least when I'm on the bike, I can crack open a book. I'll need to try and find a couple of magazines I can peruse while running to help cut into the time.
  • Nikki143
    Nikki143 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    hAven't been around much.... bUT i'M BACK TO 224 OFFICIALLY!!
  • Nikki143
    Options
    dEB, Recipe sounds gooood! I am gonna buy the ingredients and make it.. mmmm
  • Nikki143
    Options
    dEB, Recipe sounds gooood! I am gonna buy the ingredients and make it.. mmmm
  • pinbotchick
    Options
    Congrats Nikki.

I totally understand about the boredom on one machine for any length of time. That's why I listen to books on tape (mp3 format).
  • akasullengal
    Options
    Congrats Nikki!

I'll need to think about books on tape (mp3). I have several, plus I'm a big podcast fan. I'm always behind on them.

Definitely over calories for the day, but only 200ish over. Considering I didn't work out, that's not bad. Had a yummy dinner. Only ate half the sandwich, which helps. I need to think about what to eat tomorrow in anticipation on weigh-in friday.
  • pinbotchick
    Options
    Morning gang... Sometimes, I love Thursdays and sometimes I don't. For my official check-in, I am down 1/2 pound but still at 203. It's what I expected after the great loss last week and TOM issues. I can feel the bloating in every joint of my body. Thank goodness I don't get headaches (I can really empathize with how you felt last week Deb). I am being lazy and not getting out of be this morning. I have some paperwork to do (it's never ending:grumble: )... I am supposed to run today but may put it off a day. I really want to try an actual Zumba workout. Once I have learned the steps, I would be willing to loan out the instruction video that includes a 20 min workout... Everyone should at least try it... Have a nice day.
  • makeitallsue
    makeitallsue Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone!!!!:bigsmile:

Pinbot, Thanks so much for your links and information, I read it ALL yesterday and plan on reading it again...it really needs to sink in my thick head!:laugh: I have done better about eating those exercise calories...most if not all of them and I am going to stay with it for a least a month and see where that gets me. I'm sorry your feeling down and I know you don't feel like it...but sometimes the only way I feel any relief is to get moving....just some easy stretches might help...get that breath moving to your brain! Hey 1/2 pound is still great with all your dealing with....my goodness, us poor ladies, this time of the month crap just isn't right.. :grumble:

Hope everyone is doing great...I seen losses on the main page...Great Job everyone!!!

AKA, I'm a big fan of the mp3 player too, I listen to Nickleback or ACDC and rock my time away......I should listen to a book ...:blushing: , maybe I'll try that too sometime!:bigsmile:

I need to get moving, will check in later!!
  • pinbotchick
    Options
    Okay - I have a question and need honest answers. I weighed myself at 6:30 and was 203.0 At 8 after using the facilities (and scared that the toilet might clog) I was down to 202.0... So, do I stick with the original weight or since it's still my official check-in day do I change it to the lower weight? Mon to Wed I was running 202.5 or so... If I don't count it this week, then I know next week will be really good.
  • akasullengal
    Options
    Pinbot, it's up to you! I would take the lower weight, as I usually weight to ehem... use the facilities in the morning prior to weighing in. But yeah, if you don't count it this week, you'll just have a bigger one in the final week of the challenge :wink:

I was actually down a little bit this morning in weight, which shocked me as yesterday I went out to dinner (salty!), went over my calories, and didn't work out. I think it bodes well for weigh-in tomorrow.

Today is the big day 3 week 5 run. 20 min. eep! If I'm feeling up to it afterwards, I'll try to also put some time in on the elliptical (if i'm feeling super motivated) or the bike (less so, but willing to stay, plus I can read my book on it).

Should be a pretty uneventful day, which should be nice. I've been so scattered all over town with my job, it's nice that I will be in just one clinic location today. I'm a bit worried about next week in that that special TOM is rapidly approaching, so it could be an ugly weight week, which is NOT what I need the last week of the challenge. Last month I gained like 3 pounds that week. Luckily they pretty much melted off the week after, but I felt like complete doo-doo. Until I really started logging my weight and calories consistently, I never realised how much it really fluctuated during the TOM. I just knew I turned totally crankypants and a depressive mess.
  • cds2327
    cds2327 Posts: 439
    Options
    Ladies...I totally had a moment last night. My darling husband, as much as I love him, yet again brought some yummy goodness to bed. that is one of my major problems is snacking in bed after our son is down. I felt like i was being dragged to the kitchen.....stared at some salami, stared at some oreos (all stuff hubby brings into the house) and then went back to bed and cried! I know, wacko.....big baby right?
    I just get so frustrated sometimes. i figured you ladies would understand.
    Anyhow!! sounds like you are all doing well with exercise.
    I did up my calories this week...or at least am making damn sure I am eating back all my calories. some days it is hard.
    as for exercise, i am sticking with the run for 4.5 for 20 minutes and then walk. i walk anywhere between 3,5 to 4.0 at various inclines.
    I am thinking about starting to train for a fun run in the new town we are moving to in April. It is a 5K, so we'll see.
    there is also one in May that is 7 miles....we'll see.
  • akasullengal
    Options
    cds, what a saboteur!!! That's really hard I imagine to deal with. Geez... way to be helpful. Be strong! the Fun Run sounds great. You can totally rock that! Once I feel a whole lot more comfortable with my running skills, I would love to do something like that. Great job on upping the calories a bit. You'll have to let us all know how it goes!
  • pinbotchick
    Options
    Thanks Kristina. I went ahead and changed it. Good luck on the run.
  • cds2327
    cds2327 Posts: 439
    Options
    it's funny because my hubby can be so super sweet and suportive.....and then here come the nutty buddies into the bed....lol
    i find myself understanding why he eats, because he is like me....gets stressed and eats. and i know, he isn't going to change until he wants to. making excuses huh? ahh well.
    just had a yummy breakfast and wanted to share in case any of you wanted to try.

1 soft taco size mission carb balance tortilla (100 cal)
    2 pieces turkey bacon
    1 scrambled egg mixed with 1/4 cup egg whites
    2 tablespoons salsa
    1/8 cup shredded cheese.
    it runs around 300 cals, depending on the cheese, but it is super yummy!!
  • pinbotchick
    Options
    cds - it sounds yummy. I may have to try it this weekend.

I just got back from a nice lunch. 2 friends took me out so we could catch up. Strawberry grilled chicken walnut salad with blue cheese and a nice strawberry dressing. 641 cal is my best guess but so worth it. Well now I have to get back to work.
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Options
    that recipe does sound really good!!
  • makeitallsue
    makeitallsue Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, making my rounds at mfp groups....I'm at the dealership and they have free wifi along with a ton of food...It smells so good, but I will have NONE of it...rather be here with my peeps....:laugh: :bigsmile: :laugh:

CDS, great recipe...it is actually something I can get my daughter to eat in the mornings...we also try the egg beaters, southwestern style and the same other ingre you mentioned and that is yummy too and keeps me going most of the morning. My Husband does the same to me....I know he doesn't realize it, but he is a huge late night snacker and ICECREAM...my gosh I can't believe the amount that man puts away...and forget the 1/2 cup servings...he's a total porker...he's lucky that his metabolism still burns it right off...he has been better about it though...my gosh a few weeks back I jumped him....oh, my ...that was fast my car is finished....I'll continue this story later....:laugh: