what your best tip to give someone

Options

Replies

• osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Be patient! It takes a LONG time to see changes on your own body.

Remember, it's what you do most of the time that counts. If you eat healthily at a deficit all week and then eat a cheeseburger one day, you will probably continue losing weight. It's not a setback, or anything to worry or complain about...it's life. Delicious and sometimes unhealthy food is a part of life. On the other hand, if you eat fast food and other junk in a surplus and eat a salad every once in a while, that one salad is not going to help you lose weight.
  • dayotte33
    dayotte33 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Watch Super Size Me.
  • flensburger
    flensburger Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For me it's about eating when I get hungry and not when I feel like it's "time" to eat. I keep a drawer filled with low-calorie snacks and always keep some fat-free yogurt and cheese in the fridge at work. When I start to get hungry, I eat a little bit. That way I'm not waiting until meal times and then eating way more than I should. I've also developed what seems to be a pretty healthy relationship with the open-faced sandwich. When I go somewhere for lunch where my options are either eat a sandwich or don't eat, taking off the top bread (or bun) really helps cut down on calories.
  • IronDame
    IronDame Posts: 275
    Options
    Turn your just do it, into just did it.
  • cally69
    cally69 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    It all comes down to persistence. It's going to take time but it's time well spent. The weeks and months will roll by no matter what, you might as well use them positively.
    JUST DO IT
    X
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Few things that helped me...

Try to get enough sleep. If you don't get enough sleep you'll have more cravings, your body will want more food to stay awake.

Pay attention to how your body reacts to foods. Find things that are filling and satisfying for you, weed out the things that aren't worth it.

Water tastes better if you put it in the freezer and let it get very cold, just short of freezing. Drinking 2 liters a day helps with snacking.

Walking is actually really good exercise, even though it feels easy.
  • tidetevo
    tidetevo Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    What work for me... I log all my meal in advance before breakfeast ..this method show me all my calories intake before starting my day and when I come back from work I'm not stuck whith *What I'm going to eat tonight* and cheat with calling a pizza or fast food.
  • charlena48
    charlena48 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Stay the course. If you are not an exerciser - start with at least 20 min. a day and work up. It's amazing how much better you will feel - you will miss it when you don't exercise. Good luck!
  • aphid
    aphid Posts: 47
    Options
    Do not reward yourself with food, you are not a dog.

i like this!!
  • joyceellison
    joyceellison Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I joined a eat well course and the first thing they say is Eat 3 meals a day to start with many people only eat 2 starts your metabolism
    hope this helps I have lost 2 stone since starting it x
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Don't freak out if you're "under" your calories, do not freak out if you are "over" your calories, just keep trying everyday, and remember that your body doesn't lose weight on a 24 hour only basis; meaning, you can eat 500 calories under on Monday (when you're not hungry) and eat 500 extra on Tuesday, and still lose weight.

Also, continue to have fun and have small splurges- life is all about balance!
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    1) Don't be in a hurry. Slow/steady weightloss = better chance of permanent weight loss

2) Small changes you can live with, one or two at a time

3) Forget whatever flubs you had yesterday. Today is a brand new day, and you get to start each day with a clean slate.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Find a physical activity that makes you smile huge. Find the joy in the whole process. If it is the best thing you do in a day, you will do it everyday.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    It's not a diet. Don't deprive yourself of the things that you like. Make them better when you can and when you really just need something that is considered bad, make sure it fits into your calories and macros for the day. This absolutely has to be something you can live with every day.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple, keep it sustainable.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Get your head right before you try to get your body right. If you are doing it for someone other than yourself and before you have made a REAL commitment to yourself than you have NO chance of succeeding :flowerforyou:
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for weight loss advice- only listen to those who have actually lost weight. Much of what you will receive on here is stuff someone read in a magazine or on a website. Or heard from someone else who read a magazine or an internet article.

Also, find as many people that are your gender, around your age and height, similar life circumstances, and have around the same amount of weight to lose, (or started at your weight), that are succeeding at losing weight and getting healthier. See what they are/have been doing, and do that. If you are a working mom with limited time to exercise, don't compare yourself to someone 20 years younger who is single with no kids and can spend several hours in the gym, .

Don't be confused with all the BMR, TDEE, eat back your exercise calories, whatever 'rules' you hear. Figure out what works for you.

And most of all- don't quit. Many factors will affect how quickly you lose or don't lose. Don't get discouraged when the scale doesn't move like you want it to. Keep at it and look at long term.

Eat Better-Eat Less-Move More
  • Lozzy_82
    Lozzy_82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Find exercise you enjoy! If you loathe and resent every minute you spend on a treadmill then don't go on the treadmill. If you find something you enjoy, whether it's spin, running, Zumba, or whatever, then it won't feel like a chore and you're less likely to give it up or find excuses not to do it.

When you're tempted to skip a workout just think: "In one hour's time I will either feel awesome and proud of myself for working out, or angry with myself for skipping it. How do I want to feel in one hour?". This thought has got me up and moving SO many times when I've just wanted to collapse on the couch!

If you make a bad choice don't let it derail you, just get straight back on track. If you find yourself giving in and scoffing a massive piece of cake, don't think "Oh well, I may as well take today off and start again tomorrow"! You'll soon find yourself thinking "I'll start next week, or "I'll start after that party at the end of the month".

Also, drink lots of water!
  • earndien
    earndien Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Do not reward yourself with food, you are not a dog.
    love it
  • lilteepot
    Options
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!