Beef vs Turkey? ARE YOU SERIOUS!?

Options
13»

Replies

• SnakePlissken
    SnakePlissken Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If you buy boneless skinless turkey breast its 99% fat free.
    But if you buy ground turkey they grind in the skin and dark meat which are fattier.

Great cuts of sirloin or filet are very healthy, but I think the best meat for the buck is Pork tenderloin. It's the filet of a pig.
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I go to walmart and get the extra lean ground beef and get the small pack..(it is 4 servings)..then put it on one of the thin buns that you can pick up around the deli area( they come 8 in pack).. and they are wonderful and very filling..Good Luck..

Those thin buns are phenomenal!!! I love, love, love them for breakfast sandwiches! Add an egg, a piece of cheese, and a slice of turkey or ham, and YUMMO!!! As a matter of fact, that's what I'm having tomorrow for breakfast! Havent had one in a long time!!!!

Tell me more about these thin rolls!!

I'm not sure of the brand but they sell them at Walmart near the freezer section (not the Super Walmart). They are better than slices of bread because they maintain theire shape for things like burgers, chicken sandwiches, etc. But they are whole wheat, and much, much thinner than a regular hamburger bun. They are also great for breakfast sandwiches. If you've ever had the reduced fat turkey bacon sandwich from Starbucks, and my memory serves me correctly, they are like that!

I will check the info when I get home and post to this thread!
    The thin rolls are Orowheat Sandwich Thins. I love them. I use them for hamburgers, sandwiches, grilled chicken sandwiches, breakfast sandwiches and I've even made french toast with them as well as grilled cheeses.

I buy the Honeysuckle White 93/7 chubs in the meat department for $1.97/lb (in Texas). I dont "not" eat beef, but I try to limit my red meat due to cholesterol issues. And beef makes my tummy hurt.

And, I, too, have the "GO MEAT!" song in my head. I love those commercials!

Mine are made by Arnold, which as you can see from this thread, is a reliable brand! All whole grain and no HRCS...100 calories per bun, 1 g fat 230 sodium, and 5 (yes, I said 5)g of fiber!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I love beef! 000203AC.gif
  • buggaboo73
    Options
    Since I've been exercising I crave beef, but not the lean kind :laugh: And I'm not a fan of ground anything. I'll admit it, I love love love very rare beef steaks!!!!!!!!! I can eat raw beef! I don't, but if I go to a asian restaruant sometimes they have a lightly seared beef which is yum! I treat myself to beef once or twice a week! I get my fair share of chicken and fish, but nothing compares to a juicy steak!

I can do ground, no problem, BUT I am with you on the rare steaks or even raw, if it were safe.....or when it was safer I should say. I usually get a pack of the small 3.5 - 4 oz lean top round mini steaks. I trim them right down and have a steak sandwich for lunch one day or have one with an egg for breakfast. I notice I crave beef / iron during TOM, as well.

Interesting on the raw beef...I can do medium rare...that's it! LOL. I am going to have to find those mini steaks to curb my cravings because I definitely miss my steak!

I don't have any in the fridge right now but when I get some with groceries I'll read the label and tell you exactly the cut, but I believe it's just a top round roast that's been sliced into steaks. I have to watch my cholesterol but I am a big carnivore so it's hard.....those little steaks keep me on track nicely!
  • Questfor250
    Options
    Beef.... It's what's for dinner. Beef.
  • tasha30
    tasha30 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    LOL you are crazy lady.:tongue:

I prefer Turkey over Beef because I read it takes ground beef up to 30 days to digest in your stomach and gound turkey didn't. Plus I've just gotten used to the change and dont buy any read meats. But I will eat it if someone else prepares it.

I heard that too about beef being digested. I will still stick to turkey over beef for most things that you cannot tell the difference for, but for a burger, beef all the way!

So you'll eat beef if someone else cooks it, huh? Are you looking for a dinner invitation??? hehehe I'll tell you, dinner is free but it's still gonna cost you a couple hundred bucks! LOL :laugh:

LETS just say I dont turn any meals down HEHEHE, but I wont buy it for my household.

Where is it that you live again... :laugh:
  • angelwings2000
    angelwings2000 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I am definitely a beef girl...but I lvoe any meat. Last night we had some wonderful turkey burgers from Jennie-O. Sometimes my guy adn I just want a steak, but now instead of eating a one pound steak we take a smaller one and cut it in half, then fill up on veggies!
    I don't always use the leanest ground beef out there, but whenever I cook it off for ghoulash or spaghetti with meat sauce or something, I put the cooked meat into a colander and drain it under running hot water to wash off all the extra fat. Then I squeeze out the excess moisture and season the meat. You'd be a,azed at how much grease comes off the hamburger!
    Red meat keeps me and my daughter from becoming anemic, we both seem to have issues with keeping enough iron in our blood. Besides, I do so LOVE good beef!
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Speaking of burgers, instead of using a bun I grill two large portabello mushroom caps. I sprinkle then with a little garlic salt and grill them beside the burgers and use that as my bun instead of bread....saves you some calories and WAY better than a bun!!
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    We just did Walmart's 96/4 beef last night in Tacos and you really can't taste the difference.

I heard the other morning from the nutrition expert on the Today Show that if you rinse your ground beef in a colander- with 3 to 4 cups of almost boiling water- that you reduce the amount of fat in ground beef by up to 50%!!

I have a box of Jennie-o turkey burgs in the freezer...I think that's what I'm gonna make for dinner tonight! On my Arnold Sandwich WW thins, with caramelized onions and portobella mushrooms :)
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Buy lean, watch your portion sizes, and flip off anyone who tells you to switch ever again. :flowerforyou:
  • karmasBFF
    Options
    LOL you are crazy lady.:tongue:

I prefer Turkey over Beef because I read it takes ground beef up to 30 days to digest in your stomach and gound turkey didn't. Plus I've just gotten used to the change and dont buy any read meats. But I will eat it if someone else prepares it.

I heard that too about beef being digested. I will still stick to turkey over beef for most things that you cannot tell the difference for, but for a burger, beef all the way!

So you'll eat beef if someone else cooks it, huh? Are you looking for a dinner invitation??? hehehe I'll tell you, dinner is free but it's still gonna cost you a couple hundred bucks! LOL :laugh:

LETS just say I dont turn any meals down HEHEHE, but I wont buy it for my household.

Where is it that you live again... :laugh:

The 'GO!!!! Feel like heading just bit north!????? LOL
  • karmasBFF
    Options
    Buy lean, watch your portion sizes, and flip off anyone who tells you to switch ever again. :flowerforyou:

WILL DO!!! LOL