ugh too much protein?

Options
It's 3:11 and I've already exercised today. which put me back at 1,014 calories left for the day, but I have one gram of protein left for the day. What to eat?

Replies

• Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    What is too much protein? At least 1 G per LB of body weight is a good place to start.
  • blessed0910
    Options
    They say that you could eat something like .88 to 1 for every lb you weigh. I eat way more than MFP suggests.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    MFP sets the protein way too low.. I eat at least 120g of protein per day - don't sweat it - protein is good for you! Oh, and if you do exercise, it's more than good for you!
  • JennKie1
    JennKie1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and eat protein. It's not "bad" for you. It fuels your body and is good for building muscle. Besides, unless you load up on a bunch of fat and carbs (which is kind of pointless), you won't be able to come close to that 1000+ calories - that's a whole lot of veggies. My doctor suggested way more protein than the MFP recommendation (of course we're all different and that's based upon me and my exercise, etc). I'm not even going to pretend like I'm any type of expert - just my opinion.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    meat
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    What do you have your micros set to? MFP sets protein to low.
  • wesl3y60
    wesl3y60 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    wow! alot of responses already..I wasn't expecting that.. I just set up my profile on here yesterday so I'm still not sure of all the tweaks and whatnot. Also, I'm not sure of protein intake in GENERAL. I just started eating meat again, I was pretty much vegetarian so it's kind of a guessing game for me right now. tips/advice would be very welcomed!!!
  • Christineab
    Christineab Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Agreed----don't worry about too much protein.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    if u take in more protein needed for growth and repair the rest goes to energy. if it put u in a calorie surplus it gets stored as fat like everything else.
  • TheSink
    TheSink Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    wow! alot of responses already..I wasn't expecting that.. I just set up my profile on here yesterday so I'm still not sure of all the tweaks and whatnot. Also, I'm not sure of protein intake in GENERAL. I just started eating meat again, I was pretty much vegetarian so it's kind of a guessing game for me right now. tips/advice would be very welcomed!!!

Maybe salmon?
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options

If you are working out, you want to eat 1g of protein per pound of LBM...you can find calculators online to figure your LBM roughly...or you can do a BF% test to figure out exactly.

A good ratio for calorie breakdown is 35% carb 35% fat 30% protein. Some people go 40% carb 30% fat 30% protein
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    %7BCB438B5E-0FDA-5260-DF57-DFE12811272E%7D.gif
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    You really can't have too much protein, MFP often sets people very low. I aim for 142 g per day. It's really only bad if you're at like 500g or something. Protein is good for you!
  • wesl3y60
    wesl3y60 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I work out pretty hard, I ran 2.5 miles today burning 311 calories and I was planning on going again later today.
    so pretty much the more meat the better?
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    the answer is ~1,014 calories worth of food.
  • Copaiba
    Copaiba Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I gotta say... We don't really need as much protein as we think. I know I'm starting a s*&t storm. Sorry. MFP suggests roughly 15% of calories be from protein. FOK suggests no more than 10%. I lost a LOT of weight in the 90s with a high protein diet but ended up with some issues from it.
    http://www.forksoverknives.com/meeting-protein-needs-simply-by-eating/
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    That number for protein is a minimum not a maximum. And you need more when you exercise. The only time you eat too much is if you have >300g (ISH) per day for weeks then you'll get kidney stones.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I gotta say... We don't really need as much protein as we think. I know I'm starting a s*&t storm. Sorry. MFP suggests roughly 15% of calories be from protein. FOK suggests no more than 10%. I lost a LOT of weight in the 90s with a high protein diet but ended up with some issues from it.

Look at the abstract:
    We cannot be certain that our estimates are accurate because no method of verification exists, but progress will be made through successive approximations.

The article is just a push for a vegetarian diet.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Look at the abstract:
    We cannot be certain that our estimates are accurate because no method of verification exists, but progress will be made through successive approximations.

The article is just a push for a vegetarian diet.

Wha?!? Forks Over Knives isn't an unbiased documentary but is instead veg*n propaganda?

Who knew?
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    What is too much protein? At least 1 G per LB of body weight is a good place to start.

Actually, I think it is supposed to be 1g per kg of body weight. Divide body weight in lbs by 2.2, and that is kg.