ugh too much protein?

Options

Replies

• wesl3y60
    wesl3y60 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help guys! I guess I'll go play with the settings more to figure this out. Good luck and congrats on being fit everyone!
  • wesl3y60
    wesl3y60 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    yes, by the way I am switching for personal reasons. When I switched to no meat I thought that my body would become healthier and I would feel amazing when in fact it did the opposite.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    There is a ton of research that shows this. I did a lot of research before I went vegan, because you hear so much concern about people not getting enough protein. What I have learned is that I don't really have to make a huge effort to get enough protein. I eat nothing but plants for the most part. While they have per serving a lower amount of protein than meat, there is protein in all of them, and I eat a TON. It adds up, and I get pretty much exactly what I need without extra effort. The recommendations for a woman my age is around 45g per day, and that is usually right where I am at. I have lost 106 pounds since switching to plant foods. I get a lot of negativity from people who hear that I am vegan, so at my physical last week, I discussed this with my doctor and asked for him to do a lot of bloodwork. What is showed is that I am way healthier than I was a year ago, and all of my numbers are dead center in the normal range, including my protein. The following is copied from the CDC wesbite, but the heart assocation, diabetes foundation, etc agree.

Thanks Deb.
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Yeah, don't worry about it. I figure, fat, carbs and sodium, I try to keep under what MFP suggests. But protein and fiber? Bring them on! Can't have too much.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Wha?!? Forks Over Knives isn't an unbiased documentary but is instead veg*n propaganda?

Who knew?

Look, just because what I said was completely obvious...well ok it was completely obvious =)
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    There is a ton of research that shows this. I did a lot of research before I went vegan, because you hear so much concern about people not getting enough protein. What I have learned is that I don't really have to make a huge effort to get enough protein. I eat nothing but plants for the most part. While they have per serving a lower amount of protein than meat, there is protein in all of them, and I eat a TON. It adds up, and I get pretty much exactly what I need without extra effort. The recommendations for a woman my age is around 45g per day, and that is usually right where I am at. I have lost 106 pounds since switching to plant foods. I get a lot of negativity from people who hear that I am vegan, so at my physical last week, I discussed this with my doctor and asked for him to do a lot of bloodwork. What is showed is that I am way healthier than I was a year ago, and all of my numbers are dead center in the normal range, including my protein. The following is copied from the CDC wesbite, but the heart assocation, diabetes foundation, etc agree.

I shoot for 200-250g per day. 45g is less than what's in a single protein shake.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I shoot for 200-250g per day. 45g is less than what's in a single protein shake.

Hope you have a living will
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Gotta go somehow. Sounds like a better way to go than being crushed by a ton of "research".
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

With the life insurance I get through work, my wife will be very well off when I kick the bucket...

...damn now I know why she's always offering to make me shakes and cook me steaks!!!
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Body will not absorb more then 30 g (approx) of protein per meal, if you eat more it will just get flushed out.

This is incorrect. Please don't post crap like that.
    thanks for telling the person that!
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Body will not absorb more then 30 g (approx) of protein per meal, if you eat more it will just get flushed out.

By way, while in theory that is true... it doesn't hold up in practice... most proteins are slow digesting so you wont be trying to absorb 30g or what ever is limit all at once... just sayin....
    what does get get flushed out mean?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

By way, while in theory that is true... it doesn't hold up in practice... most proteins are slow digesting so you wont be trying to absorb 30g or what ever is limit all at once... just sayin....
    what does get get flushed out mean?

Not sure, but if it were true*, then it would be the most popular diet in the history of ever. Seriously, just think about the implications of all protein you consume in a meal above 30g being "flushed out," presumably with the calories associated with it...all 4 cal/g.

*Just so we're clear, it's not.
  • stbrad6896
    Options
    it always tells me I eat too much protein. I just ignore it.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

(You do know you can adjust that, right? I mean, if you're one of those people who don't like the red numbers.)
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Too much protein? I did an hour of martial arts yester and had over 1000 cals left. My body was screaming for protein so I bought some ribs and devoured them. Nice!
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Too much protein? I did an hour of martial arts yester and had over 1000 cals left. My body was screaming for protein so I bought some ribs and devoured them. Nice!

*APPROVED!*
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I actually just finished some research to determine if too much protein is harmful. My conclusion is that there are no known negative side effects from too much protein.

So, if you've had plenty of protein for the day, it probably doesn't make sense to waste your money on a protein shake, but if throughout the course of the day your intake ends up being well over what MFP suggests, you are good to go.
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options

(You do know you can adjust that, right? I mean, if you're one of those people who don't like the red numbers.)

no, where? please and thanks :D
  • VictoriaWorksOut
    VictoriaWorksOut Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    pls verify ur info :)

Here you go - summary and links -
    Highlights -
    From Mens Health - Drink eight to 10 glasses of water a day and divide your protein among five or six small meals throughout the day. "Eating an average of 25 to 30 grams each meal is ideal," says Lischin. "Not only will you put less stress on your kidneys, but you'll also utilize more of the protein you're ingesting by giving your body only as much as it can use each time."

Read more: http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/eliminate_workout_saboteurs/Thirst.php#ixzz24ZsFurs0

Body can absorb about 30g of protein per sitting

How much protein body can absorb?

http://www.livestrong.com/article/502182-how-much-protein-in-a-meal-can-be-used-by-the-body/

The 30-Gram Rule

While how much protein you absorb can depend upon a number of factors, the generally accepted theory is that the body can take in about 30 g of protein in one sitting, according to Tom Venuto, an author and NSCA-certified personal trainer. This is why many bodybuilders and athletes break up their daily protein intake into several small meals per day. While it is possible your body may digest slightly more protein per serving, the 30 g is a general guideline.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    pls verify ur info :)

Here you go - summary and links -
    Highlights -
    From Mens Health - Drink eight to 10 glasses of water a day and divide your protein among five or six small meals throughout the day. "Eating an average of 25 to 30 grams each meal is ideal," says Lischin. "Not only will you put less stress on your kidneys, but you'll also utilize more of the protein you're ingesting by giving your body only as much as it can use each time."

Read more: http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/eliminate_workout_saboteurs/Thirst.php#ixzz24ZsFurs0

Body can absorb about 30g of protein per sitting

How much protein body can absorb?

http://www.livestrong.com/article/502182-how-much-protein-in-a-meal-can-be-used-by-the-body/

The 30-Gram Rule

While how much protein you absorb can depend upon a number of factors, the generally accepted theory is that the body can take in about 30 g of protein in one sitting, according to Tom Venuto, an author and NSCA-certified personal trainer. This is why many bodybuilders and athletes break up their daily protein intake into several small meals per day. While it is possible your body may digest slightly more protein per serving, the 30 g is a general guideline.

Your sources are an article in Men's Health and a post on Livestrong?

(And I won't even mention the perpetuation of the 8+ glasses of water myth...oh wait, I guess I just did.)