ugh too much protein?

Options

Replies

• VictoriaWorksOut
    VictoriaWorksOut Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Body will not absorb more then 30 g (approx) of protein per meal, if you eat more it will just get flushed out.
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein LOL...

Enough protein? ENOUGH PROTEIN?????

Is that even a possibility? I mean protein is just awesome... it is the building blocks of life itself!

Muscle is made from protein, the heart is a muscle, so without protein your heart dies, so eat protein, besides MFP is screwed up...

The protein is WAY too low and the carbs WAY too high... :/
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    Yeah what they said....more protein. My minimum is 100g/day w at least 25g-30 at each main meal plus snacks/pre-post workout supplements to make up the remainder.

But my goal is to maintain muscle and decrease body fat %.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    More protein :)
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Body will not absorb more then 30 g (approx) of protein per meal, if you eat more it will just get flushed out.

By way, while in theory that is true... it doesn't hold up in practice... most proteins are slow digesting so you wont be trying to absorb 30g or what ever is limit all at once... just sayin....
  • Cathleenr
    Options

This is incorrect. Please don't post crap like that.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Eat all of the proteins.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    pls verify ur info :)
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    bacon
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I gotta say... We don't really need as much protein as we think. I know I'm starting a s*&t storm. Sorry. MFP suggests roughly 15% of calories be from protein. FOK suggests no more than 10%. I lost a LOT of weight in the 90s with a high protein diet but ended up with some issues from it.
    http://www.forksoverknives.com/meeting-protein-needs-simply-by-eating/

This is true. It is not a popular statement here, but it is true!
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I work out pretty hard, I ran 2.5 miles today burning 311 calories and I was planning on going again later today.
    so pretty much the more meat the better?

protein from any source.......lean meat, beans, dairy whatever works for you. I did my first 2 weeks on MFPs settings for carbs/protein and fat and was hungry at times and always over my protein. DUH, then I realized that the default setting is only for 15 % protein......I am by no means an athlete but I changed my settings to 40 carbs, 30 fat and 30 protein. I often don't hit my macros as far as being a tad over on carbs, often a tad under on fat and a little under on protein. But I feel full!!!!! I often have to fit in an extra snack to meet my calories or get close to the goal. I don't want a crash diet, too may restrictions or learn yet more bad eating habits by eating really low cal. I have an occasional day where I go over my calories but the majority of the times I am at least a little bit under. Now before anyone screams that you have to eat a minimum # of calories and that you should eat your exercise calories back........I generally try to eat enough calories but there are days when I just can not eat more because I feel stuffed. Paly with your settings, make sure you get a lot of protein, fiber and healthy fats and you will not feel deprived/hungry. JMHO
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Myth. Check out how much protein in one meal these elderly women were consuming and notice the pulse group had a much higher nitrogen balance and retention rate than the spread group.

Elderly women with a LBM between 31.7 to 45kg were eating 1.7 grams x LBM kg a day. The pulse group ate 80% of their daily protein in a single meal. So the women were consuming between 42 to 61 grams of protein in that single meal.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/69/6/1202.long#T3
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I gotta say... We don't really need as much protein as we think. I know I'm starting a s*&t storm. Sorry. MFP suggests roughly 15% of calories be from protein. FOK suggests no more than 10%. I lost a LOT of weight in the 90s with a high protein diet but ended up with some issues from it.

If I were veg*n, I would want to believe this too. It would be difficult enough getting to 10% protein
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

Can you share why you think this is true please? I'd like to hear both sides to this issue.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    The protein amounts set by MFP are a MINIMUM goal not a maximum goal.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    There is a ton of research that shows this. I did a lot of research before I went vegan, because you hear so much concern about people not getting enough protein. What I have learned is that I don't really have to make a huge effort to get enough protein. I eat nothing but plants for the most part. While they have per serving a lower amount of protein than meat, there is protein in all of them, and I eat a TON. It adds up, and I get pretty much exactly what I need without extra effort. The recommendations for a woman my age is around 45g per day, and that is usually right where I am at. I have lost 106 pounds since switching to plant foods. I get a lot of negativity from people who hear that I am vegan, so at my physical last week, I discussed this with my doctor and asked for him to do a lot of bloodwork. What is showed is that I am way healthier than I was a year ago, and all of my numbers are dead center in the normal range, including my protein. The following is copied from the CDC wesbite, but the heart assocation, diabetes foundation, etc agree.
  • simonkurth
    simonkurth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I eat 200 plus grams per day. Feel great. Your body burns extra calories processing protein. A calorie is not a calorie. Check out the smarter science of slim web site.
  • wedgylx
    wedgylx Posts: 3 Member
    Options

People love throwing this number around even though there's no evidence to support it
  • wedgylx
    Options
    The human body was created through thousands upon thousands of years living the hunter gatherer lifestyle. Obesity is an epidemic that only began when we began eating copius amounts of processed carbohydrates.

So thousands upon thousands of years we lived on meat, vegetables, fruit, and maybe small amounts of dairy depending on your culture. Mimick this with your food selection, stay close to the caloric suggestions and you'll get awesome results
  • wedgylx
    Options
    Lastly, as a personal trainer, my clients who are vegan or vegetarian do not get anywhere near the results of those eating a "normal" diet.

If you're making the switch for personal reasons - more power to you - but if you think switching to vegetarian/vegan diets will help you lose weight or become healthier, it simply isn't true.