Wrong Names??

Options
Mina133842
Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
Co-worker's name is Marivic....have a customer that can't wrap his head around her name, and calls her Maverick....we all crack up now, and have started calling her Maverick - told her she needs to see Top Gun (She's from the Phillippines and hasn't seen it)...and just made me think of all the times someone gets a name wrong, and it's just funny..

Best bud Phebe- (like Phoebe from Friends) got a call from another dept one day, and they asked for "Puh-HEEEb" cracked us up. She gets the name "Stevie" a lot too- Stevie called me?

Any similar situations?

Replies

• clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    my name is erin, but everyone that hears me on the phone thinks i'm saying anne... anne is one syllalbe and erin is two, so i'm not sure where the disconnect is.. but almost everyone hears it that way so it must be me :)
  • SquidVonBob
    SquidVonBob Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    My name is Shayna (sh-ey-nuh), but more often than not people get it wrong. The most common is Shana, but I've also gotten Shannon, Shania (like Shania Twain), Shane, Shea , Sheena, and of coarse in elementary school, Shayna-Shayna-Bobayna-Banana-Fana-Fofayna-Mi-My-Momayna-Shayna.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    My name is Erienne. Which I know, can be intimidating to pronounce so I won't fault people for that. It's when I tell them it's "air-ee-en" and they go "ariel?" or "erin" or "Irene"....no. air-ee-en. Like the Aryan race. Come on I know you took a history class!
  • jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    My name is Jacques - French version of James. Lots of silent letters at the end.

When I typed my name using the old WORDPERFECT software, the spell-checker would pop up and tell me " Don't you mean: Jocund, jocular, jaywalker, (or my favorite) *kitten*?
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    My name is Kim - love it, easy to spell and easy to say. There's someone who calls my husband Steve - but his name is David. Not even close. I called my son Camden and regret it already. Poor kid will be confused with Cameron for the rest of his life.
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    This isn't nearly as funny... but my new married name Killough is often mispronounced as Kee-low. As in, kilo. I just don't get it. It even looks like "kill"... why the hell would you think Kee-low?? These rednecks here aren't French... they certainly aren't mistaking it for a French pronunciation, you know?
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Oh, I cannot wait to see the cluster**** of names in this thread.
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Erika-America...I guess from saying Hi I'm Erika lol
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    my son Mason gets mistaken for Nathan all the time...
    my given name Corrina (Core-E-nah) gets butchered a lot- Katrina (really? there's no T in there at all?!) Corinn.. No wonder I go by Mina. lol

ETA: a lot of older clients see my name tag and call my Connie...um? It clearly says Corrina.
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Pretty hard to screw up Jen, but over the phone I've been called Jane and Jenna, and by one sweet little old lady, Ginger. I thought that was awesome, and her salesperson corrected her but told her how much I liked it, so she just kept calling me Ginger. That's actually the origin of the "ginger" in my name, even though my hair WAS red when I joined MFP.
  • Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Wow...where do I start?

So my name is Chanelle, but I have had: Chantel, Michelle, Janelle, Charmaine, Charlene
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    My name is Kelsey and people ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS CALL ME CHELSEA!
    And the odd thing about it is that my mom almost named me Chelsea.. But, it always bugs me and i just smile and correct them.
  • musicstardust67
    musicstardust67 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    My name is brooke, but when I meet people for the first time I have to really yell the name cuz they apparently can't hear a one syllable name. Thats the downfall to having a name like brooke, you can't really make a nickname out of it and people think you're saying Brock, bach, call you brooklyn etc etc. Lame.
  • MissDevin
    MissDevin Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    My name is Devin and I have been called: Deveen, Devine, Devon, Devan, Diva (once by an old boss), AND I have always been called "Devin the Dude" (Houston rapper).
    A nickname that my friends and family call me sometimes is "Debo". Pronounced dee-bow; like from the movie Friday.
  • IndigoFlowers
    IndigoFlowers Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    My name is Janell... but everyone spells it wrong... they all spell it Janelle or Jenelle, or Genelle. Even my own family members still spell my name wrong!

I've had people call me Michelle, Danielle, Janet, Jane, Janice... Or pronounce my name with a strange French accent!
  • LilMissImperfect
    Options
    My name is Abigail. No one has ever really gotten my name wrong. I worked in a restaurant once with a variety of people from all over the place, and they all had different ways of pronouncing my name so that was fun lol. One girl from Bolivia would say "Ah-bee-gah-eel" , a guy from Iran would say "Ah-vee-ja-hall" and another guy would just say "Obby" instead of "Abby"
  • kelseylou
    kelseylou Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My name is Kelsey and people ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS CALL ME CHELSEA!
    And the odd thing about it is that my mom almost named me Chelsea.. But, it always bugs me and i just smile and correct them.

I get that a lot too! When I worked in the call center, people would think I said Kathy or Katie and even when I would correct them, they'd continue calling me that. @_@
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    My name is Vanessa and my doctor, who is from India, always calls me Va-NEESH-a. Lol.
  • angelizer
    Options
    My name is Kerrie but when I tell people my name over the phone it is sometimes mistaken for Gary! I'm female so I dont know why/how this happens.
  • ZeeShay
    ZeeShay Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    My whole name is constantly being mispronounced
    my first name i feel is pretty straight forward Shayda (shay-duh)but i get shady sheeduh shayna shayla shyda
    my last name i think people see a Z and a bunch of letters and they get intimidated
    Zomorrodian (Zoe-moe-row-dee-ann)

now i just go by Zee to avoid confusion and make it easy on people.