Well, it is officially time for a new gym

Options

Replies

• Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I may get flamed for this, but I agree with the Club Director on this one.

If you can't control the weights, you shouldn't be lifting so heavy.

totally agree.

I agree as well. That is distracting and annoying as hell.

O noes, your delicate ears have heard the sound of weight training equipment being used.

There is no strict policy or anything there. It is not a chain. AFAIK no one else there deadlifts that much weight even though it is really not that much. It is jsut rare for anyone to deadlift or squat there, and more rare for anyone to do either of them properly or with a lot of weight.

Leave so you can SMASHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I have officially been educated.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Deadlifting 350lbs you can control just fine on the way up but what I don't think people understand is when you bring it down gravity freaking helps it and you could injure yourself trying to control it so its better to let it go especially when your on your 8th rep and tired.

Surely he's not dropping 8 reps?

I dropped a 90kg deadlift (I have grip issues) and everyone looked and I was embarrassed, but no one asked me to leave. Although I keep expecting to be kicked out for being a girl. :sad:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

^^^^^deadlifts very light weights. or not at all. probably not at all

FoW, as long as the Club Director agrees to let you out of your Curves membership without penalty, you should probably move on
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Proper response would have been -

"I am much more gentle when I am putting down your wife....."

FTW!
  • shimewazaMan
    Options
    Is this the type place that has pretty neon lights on the walls and a smoothie bar??? Definitely does not sound like a hard core gym. I would definitely cancel my membership and let the noise nazzi know that, no only are you cancelling the membership, but that you are gonna write reviews on every internet directory you can find letting people know how ignorant the staff is.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

totally agree.

Do you even deadlift?
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    While it is excusable for people in here who do not dead lift to not know your technique (despite all the Olympic TV coverage recently) I would expect the Director of a Gym to know.

- or is this some sort of 'social director' who, presumably, therefore had no business criticising your technique

Probably. And he is old, and not like the kind of old that has a hot young wife, so that "proper response" might not have been so proper either ;)
  • chelovik
    chelovik Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Joining a new gym can be stressful but it also can be the best thing you can do to jump start your workout to the next level. Rock it out.
  • DavPul
    Options

I dropped a 90kg deadlift (I have grip issues) and everyone looked and I was embarrassed, but no one asked me to leave. Although I keep expecting to be kicked out for being a girl. :sad:

I love how this is a thinly disguised brag about her deadlifting prowess.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    You should have grabbed the cruise director and did this.

hulk-smash.gif
  • DavPul
    Options
    You should have grabbed the cruise director and did this.

hulk-smash.gif

LOL! best scene from a great movie
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I currently have 2 gym memberships one expires for good in a week or so!! deadlifts are banned in said gym I want to go and deadlift and not just drop the weight but throw it. (my working sets are in the 400s it sounds like a car wreck when I drop the weight)
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

You know me better than that Dave, if I'm going to brag, I won't try and disguise it... last night when I got my PB, I shouted it in 3 different spots on these forums, on Facebook AND Twitter... there is no where else left to brag! :smokin:
  • McBully4
    Options

I can dead Lift 500!!! suck it weaklings

Not so thinly disguised
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Deadlifting 350lbs you can control just fine on the way up but what I don't think people understand is when you bring it down gravity freaking helps it and you could injure yourself trying to control it so its better to let it go especially when your on your 8th rep and tired.

mpfffff this is not very ladylike!!!!

Good job :devil: :devil: :devil: :drinker:
  • McBully4
    Options

mpfffff this is not very ladylike!!!!

Good job :devil: :devil: :devil: :drinker:

Yes very awesome job!!
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    i assume you weren't dropping it from 3' off the ground.

assuming you were just deadlifting heavy and dropping the weight normally, it's ridiculous that a gym, where people are supposed to be lifting weights, doesn't have provisions for that.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I would join another gym. Obviously that one is foofy, not supportive of basic weightlifting, and obviously the gym director has no clue.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    i assume you weren't dropping it from 3' off the ground.

assuming you were just deadlifting heavy and dropping the weight normally, it's ridiculous that a gym, where people are supposed to be lifting weights, doesn't have provisions for that.

I wasn't actually letting go of it, just taking it down pretty fast with little resistance