Well, it is officially time for a new gym

Options

Replies

• losindood
    losindood Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's unreasonable for the club director to not want their building and equipment destroyed. There is no need to drop weights or put them down hard. And yes, I know of what I speak. I was an all-american dead-lifter in high school. (515lbs)

Sounds like you need to buy some weights and lift in your garage then you can drop away and nobody will care. Good luck. :smile:
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    You should have grabbed the cruise director and did this.

hulk-smash.gif

LOL! best scene from a great movie

better than this?

Hulk-punches-Thor-XD-the-avengers-30656412-320-240.gif
  • xcoyote
    Options
    It's difficult to say, without actually seeing or hearing it, but I may have to agree with some other people here. If you are constantly "dropping" the negative rep or a partial of the negative rep, then yes, you're deadlifting more weight than you can handle. With the deadlift you can recruit so many different muscles, that if you don't know what you're doing it is easy to "cheat" the rep and be able to pull up more weight than you actually should, by doing this and not having your core as tight etc, you are setting yourself up for injury. People lifting heavy, and curving their back towards the middle of the rep is one example of this.

If the Director is just complaining about the slight "Thud" as the deadlift comes to rest on the floor, then yes I agree that he's an @$$, and you should get another gym!

As a side note, in case you feel like accusing me of not ever lifting heavy deads (like you did someone else here) because I may not agree with your opinion, I rep 418lbs.
  • xcoyote
    Options
    i assume you weren't dropping it from 3' off the ground.

assuming you were just deadlifting heavy and dropping the weight normally, it's ridiculous that a gym, where people are supposed to be lifting weights, doesn't have provisions for that.

I wasn't actually letting go of it, just taking it down pretty fast with little resistance

And missing a whole half of the rep (negative) in the process. So my assumption in my above post is correct then it seems.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    i assume you weren't dropping it from 3' off the ground.

assuming you were just deadlifting heavy and dropping the weight normally, it's ridiculous that a gym, where people are supposed to be lifting weights, doesn't have provisions for that.

I wasn't actually letting go of it, just taking it down pretty fast with little resistance

And missing a whole half of the rep (negative) in the process. So my assumption in my above post is correct then it seems.

In a bench press, the rep consistist of bringing the weight down to your chest (the negative part of the rep), then pushing it back up. but in a deadlift, the only part of the lift is picking it up from the floor and bringing it up to a standing position. The weight should be assisted back down, but it's not part of the lift.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I may get flamed for this, but I agree with the Club Director on this one.

If you can't control the weights, you shouldn't be lifting so heavy.

The negative phase of a deadlift is unecessary for anyone training for explosive strength. It's also the phase of the lift with the most potential for injury, and pretty much the only benefit of it is in hypertrophy. Compared to being able to do another rep, it's just not worth it.

When I do deads, I lower it to below the knee and just let it drop in my current gym so as not to shake the shop below too much. In another gym I've used, a pro bodybuilding/powerlifting gym with a platform, I let that sucker go from the top. And because these are both serious gyms, nobody gives a crap.
  • xcoyote
    Options
    Sorry but I don't agree, with the exception of powerlift, and explosive lifting as mentioned by ironanimal, you can operate the bench press much the same, explode up and let the negative fall, but it won't be good for hypertrophy. Same applies for Deadlifts.

Bearing in mind when you lift for Hypertrophy "generally" it's in the 8+ rep range, so you shouldn't need to drop the negative part of the rep (maybe with the exception of the last one when going to failure?).
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    If your Director really has a problem with everything rattling when you release your dead lift, then yes, you should go find another gym. Preferably one that's more structurally sound, has better flooring, or has a heavily padded lifting area.

Also, for the record, I am a former lifter and current "cardio bunny" and the only thing that breaks me out of my zone is the fire alarm.
  • shimewazaMan
    Options
    Why is it every thread (OK ... I'm exaggerating ... A LOT of threads) around here lately has to turn into a pissing contest? Everyone trying to prove they know more than everyone else or that they can lift more than anyone else or blah blah blah. At first it was kind of humorous to read, but now it's just plain old and annoying.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Why is it every thread (OK ... I'm exaggerating ... A LOT of threads) around here lately has to turn into a pissing contest? Everyone trying to prove they know more than everyone else or that they can lift more than anyone else or blah blah blah. At first it was kind of humorous to read, but now it's just plain old and annoying.

There's threads where people try to prove who can lift more? Around here? Don't keep it to yourself man, where dey at??? Let's get in there!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

There's threads where people try to prove who can lift more? Around here? Don't keep it to yourself man, where dey at??? Let's get in there!

Yeah, I haven't seen many of those on MFP...which is surprising because nearly every other fitness site has them...

...which tells me something...I'm just not exactly sure what it is...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Yeah, I haven't seen many of those on MFP...which is surprising because nearly every other fitness site has them...

On here people rant about the girl that wears too much makeup at the gym or if someone used a treadmill to close to theirs instead of bragging about tons lifted. Pretty much tells the tale of this site.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

On here people rant about the girl that wears too much makeup at the gym or if someone used a treadmill to close to theirs instead of bragging about tons lifted. Pretty much tells the tale of this site.

Or they rant about this *cough*

images53.jpg
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Slow lowering the deadlift back to the ground on high-effort reps is pretty much asking for an injury with very little reward in strength. A real gym allows deadlifts to be safely reset.

Cardio bunny hamster farms do not. Sadly, that is 95% of gym these days. Big boxes full of mediocrity.
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    Planet-Fitiness-Lunk-Alarm.jpg
    Also the free weight area is on the second floor, so that is of course problematic.
    Well that was great planning wasn't it? Pretty funny.

I feel for the OP. Unless the gym states everywhere that they don't like dead-lifting, then he should not say anything to you. It's how you do it, and I completely support finding a new gym. It's all about finding a comfortable place for you and your particular routine. Best of luck finding an understanding place.

But this alarm. I hate this thing. I love my PF, but this thing could just stop working and I'd be complete. It's louder than anyone dropping any weights. I tend to get bad headaches from slamming weights (my old gym had a lot of dead-lifting and I always left almost in tears from my pounding head) and that thing is just as bad!
  • Shaolin_Papa
    Options
    Sound s like Planet Fitness...They have a "Lunk Alarm" that the employees actually activate if you're making to much noise (breathing, grunting, etc.) :laugh:
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    you should be able to control your dead lifts on the way up and on the way down... nobody wants to be distracted from their workout by you dropping the weight because you are trying to be heman and cant handle the weight. I deadlift very heavy twice a week and i never slam my weights down i have total control over the weight.
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I checked the rules of both USA Powerlifting and N.A.S.A (Natural Athlete Strength Association) and both say:

Causes for Disqualification of a Dead Lift
    7. Allowing the bar to return to the platform without maintaining control with both hands.

That's what I go by....
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Sorry but I don't agree, with the exception of powerlift, and explosive lifting as mentioned by ironanimal, you can operate the bench press much the same, explode up and let the negative fall, but it won't be good for hypertrophy. Same applies for Deadlifts.

Bearing in mind when you lift for Hypertrophy "generally" it's in the 8+ rep range, so you shouldn't need to drop the negative part of the rep (maybe with the exception of the last one when going to failure?).

but if he's lifting that heavy, he's not deadlifting for hypertrophy, he's lifting for explosive strength (powerlifting).
    The gym should have said that powerlifting isn't allowed because every powerlifter I know (I used to compete), drops the weight at some point after a deadlift - many from a completely standing position.
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    so what is dead lifting? How does it work/benefit/challenge? ( I am asking because I honestly have no clue- maybe more need to understand what it is and the benefits)