Why do I still feel hungry after just eating?

Options
Seriously, this is annoying. Don't tell me to drink more water because I do that already. Don't mention fiber or protein because I get enough of that already too. It's like 15 minutes after I eat sometimes I feel like I am starving and didn't eat a thing. I will message my doctor about it but I wanted to see if there is anyone else out there having this same problem?!

Replies

• stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    maybe you have a lightning fast metabolism? or is it mental hunger?
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    My stomach is legit growling and feeling hungry.. It's so odd. Could it be because my stomach is bigger or something from having eaten so much before and not watching portions?!
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Every once in awhile, I do. It's either because what I ate wasn't very filling - like the cookies I ate this morning. But usually I think it's more a mental thing. I like chewing and tasting things, I guess. Try slowing down and really chewing things down to a liquid; that helps me.

By the way, the stomach growling is more a digestive activity than a hunger signal. I've heard hunger described as a pulling at the throat, and that seems pretty accurate in my experience.
  • stines72
    Options
    My stomach is legit growling and feeling hungry.. It's so odd. Could it be because my stomach is bigger or something from having eaten so much before and not watching portions?!

i think that might be possible.. your body isnt used to the new smaller portions just yet.
    when this happened with me, i drank 16 oz of water before dinner, 16 oz during and tea right after. that kept me full lol
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    My mom always said that it takes a while for your food to be digested enough to raise your blood sugar enough to tell your brain that there was food in your system. Makes sense to me. Twenty minutes or so later, it should register.

The faster you eat, the more the problem. Chew.
  • alanabeehave
    Options
    Is it after every single meal? Do you stop when your full and it slowly creeps up on ya? I'm always hungry shortly after breakfast if all I've had is a protein shake. Maybe add some flax oil, almond butter or avocado to it. Are you meeting your fat macrost? I can only see two days worth of logging but have you tried eating more in the morning? Breakfast should be a hearty meal.
    Constant hunger could be a thyroid issue or (gasp!) diabetes. Unless, it runs in your fam, it's probably diet related.
  • stines72
    Options
    Every once in awhile, I do. It's either because what I ate wasn't very filling - like the cookies I ate this morning. But usually I think it's more a mental thing. I like chewing and tasting things, I guess. Try slowing down and really chewing things down to a liquid; that helps me.

By the way, the stomach growling is more a digestive activity than a hunger signal. I've heard hunger described as a pulling at the throat, and that seems pretty accurate in my experience.

the reason a stomach growls is because its anticipating food... most of us eat on schedules and when you dont eat for a certain amount of time the stomach will begin "digesting" in anticipation of food and thats what the noise is... so yes thats right
    edit: but what i said only applies for empty stomachs
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    It takes approximately 20 minutes for your stomach to tell your brain that you've eaten enough. (I don't know why.) This is why some people recommend things like eating regularly, small meals before you become hungry. (I don't.) Drinking before you become hungry can also help. Being aware of this biological reaction can help. Just know you need to wait 20 minutes.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    What are you eating?
  • kenazfehu
    Options
    When your stomach is growling after a meal, it's definitely digestion and not hunger.
  • kenazfehu
    Options
    What are you eating?

The diary is open.
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    When I was eating more surgary things or carbs, I found that I was always hungry.....I have less problem with this after I started drinking Ensure High Protein....and limiting my carbs
  • kperito
    Options
    I find this can happen when I eat too fast, or eat when I'm doing something else. It did happen more when I first started watching the size of my portions. It took awhile for my mind to adjust to what a portion actually was. And, well, there are just days when I've been more active than usual and need to eat more to compensate.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Do you eat too fast? Eat slower, give your body time to recognize it's eating. Back when I used to work out on my lunch hour I'd work out for 35-40 minutes, I'd inhale my food and often feel hungry after cos I wasn't giving my body time to recognize it has eaten and digest the food. Also I've noticed if I eat something with a lot of crabs it spikes sugar cravings and that makes me hungry. So maybe just watch your macro's make sure you're just eating when you're eating, try not to be doing anything else, eat slow and make sure you're eating enough .
  • kenazfehu
    Options
    Nobody really wants to hear this, but it's the truth. The overweight are malnourished. They are starving to death. When we are hungry all the time, it means we are not eating foods that nourish our bodies with adequate nutrients. Instead, we are often consuming an acidic diet. By doing this, all we're doing is feeding the critters inside us what they want, rather than what our bodies need. Please read my blog www.hollycat50.wordpress.com.

Hollycat:flowerforyou:

Not every overweight person is malnourished, I'm sure.
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it's hunger? Sometimes I have what feels like hunger, but it's really issues with digestion. If I drink coffee regularly, it burns my stomach and before it gets to the point where i feel pain, it feels like I'm hungry all the time. It's weird.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Fiber, enough liquids and good nutrition will help with hunger, but it will still take 20 minutes. And if you're used to eating much more, then there may be a period of adjustment. Eat foods that are not calorie dense, so you can eat lots of bulk.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    A quick look at your diary tells me you need to add more fiber. People think they just need a ton of protein to feel sated, but you need a mix of protein, fiber and fat.
  • merkuri22
    merkuri22 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry after dinner (either "real" hungry or just craving a snack) I have a cup of India spice chai tea with honey and a little soymilk. It's sweet enough to feel like a snack, and I think the protein in the soymilk helps my body feel full. And it's less than 50 calories (I use lite soymilk, and probably a teaspoon or less of honey).

It might help if you find something like that which doesn't have many calories, but is enough to satisfy your "I want food" craving.

In my experience, it's not good to feel hungry, whether it's because of too few calories or if it's just psychological. Feeling hungry will lead you to eat more later, or just make you unhappy and you'll associate negative feelings with your new diet. So don't just tell yourself to deal with it, find something that satisfies the urge without putting you over your calorie limit.
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    drink tall glass of water