Why do I still feel hungry after just eating?

Options

Replies

• minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Nobody really wants to hear this, but it's the truth. The overweight are malnourished. They are starving to death. When we are hungry all the time, it means we are not eating foods that nourish our bodies with adequate nutrients. Instead, we are often consuming an acidic diet. By doing this, all we're doing is feeding the critters inside us what they want, rather than what our bodies need. Please read my blog www.hollycat50.wordpress.com.

Hollycat:flowerforyou:

overweight people can be malnurished in the not having proper balance of nutrition sense but they are not "starving to death." You can also be hungry for reasons that have nothing to do with nutritional needs, ever heard of pica for example?

I have gone back and read your long response to a similar rebutal of your statement and have concluded ... you cray cray, so good luck with that.
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Nobody really wants to hear this, but it's the truth. The overweight are malnourished. They are starving to death. When we are hungry all the time, it means we are not eating foods that nourish our bodies with adequate nutrients. Instead, we are often consuming an acidic diet. By doing this, all we're doing is feeding the critters inside us what they want, rather than what our bodies need. Please read my blog www.hollycat50.wordpress.com.

overweight people can be malnurished in the not having proper balance of nutrition sense but they are not "starving to death." You can also be hungry for reasons that have nothing to do with nutritional needs, ever heard of pica for example?

I have gone back and read your long response to a similar rebutal of your statement and have concluded ... you cray cray, so good luck with that.

LOL! I'll keep you posted!

• moonfruity
    moonfruity Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It is called reactive hypoglycemia. You have insulin resistance, which means basically that your body is so used to having to put so much blood glucose into cells (what insulin does in the body) that normally what is released is now too much. So extra insulin in the blood tells your body you are hungry even though you just had a good meal. My suggestion is to eat less than 100 grams of carbohydrates (not including leafy greens) for a little while to decrease the amount of insulin your pancreas is releasing. Eat more kale, brussel sprouts (cruciferous vegetables) and protein. I suggest eggs with tomato and spinach for breakfast, fish, chicken tuna and salad, and then soup and salad for supper. You will notice a big difference in 3 days or so. Good luck :)
  • thr33martins
    thr33martins Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    What's the likelihood you could have diabetes, insulin resistance, or something of the like? I didn't check your diary, but are you eating quick digesting carbs by themselves?

For me, I never understood why for MONTHS, I could never feel full. I was hungry ALL of the time, even after I just ate. I was consistently limiting my calories, but I would eat something that was sweet (because I was hungry/craving carbs), and then I just got more hungry. Carbs do that to you, they make you want more because the rise in your blood sugar is so fast. Apparently, I have PCOS which can cause insulin resistance, meaning my body releases a lot of insulin to deal with glucose in my blood but it doesn't actually process it. My body doesn't feel like it's getting nourished because the sugar in the blood isn't going anywhere. Thus, still have feelings of hunger for carbs, because your body thinks you need them.

I was advised to do a low carb/low glycemic diet by my doctor. For the first 2 days off of carbs, I was insatiably hungry, although I was eating TONS of food, protein, fats, veggies, and what not. That's when I realized what I had been feeling all along wasn't really hunger, but carbohydrate cravings. After those 2 days, it's gone. I've been up for about 10-11 hours so far today and had about 650 calories, and I'm not hungry. I used to eat 650 calories by breakfast because I woke up insatiably hungry.

No PCOS here, but similar experience when I cut the carbs. LCHF is a breakthrough.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    My stomach is legit growling and feeling hungry.. It's so odd. Could it be because my stomach is bigger or something from having eaten so much before and not watching portions?!

It will shrink in a week of eating less. Everytime I start watching the amount of food I eat again it feels like I am withdrawing from food. My goal is to just never stop eating well so I dont have to suffer through that feeling.
  • MichelleLaree13
    Options
    I know everyone says stay away from salt but eating a nice soup makes me feel more hydrated and full. (Salt makes you retain water for sure but it is only water weight and your body will only hold onto so much fluid)
  • GrannySparkle
    GrannySparkle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Eat protein!! Eating protein will keep fill you up faster and your satisfied longer.
  • MichelleLaree13
    Options

Children who eat dirt are often missing nutrients in their diets. People of any weight can starve from the lack of malnourishment, think scurvy. By no means am I saying for overweight people to eat more. I am just saying eating a healthy well balanced diet will help with a lot of the physical need for certain nutrients.
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    Protein and Fiber doesn't hold me over like it's "supposed" too. I will try the eating slower. I do know that I eat incredibly fast I'm sure. I'm going to up my water and decrease carbs and sugar.
  • Cyriatan
    Cyriatan Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you have been dieting for little it may just be that you're used to eating at certain hours/quantity of food and now you're not. If everyday you eat something at 10 o'clock am, even if X day you just ate at 8 o'clock let's say, you will probably be hungry (unless you ate way too much sooner) at 10 o'clock. Your body is used not only to certain habits concerning "time of the day", but also with the quantity of food you used to eat. If you have been dieting for less than a month... just wait. Feeling hunger when dieting is normal, even if it is not that comfortable. If you have recently started to eat less (you were dieting before, but now you are eating less), I'd wait. If that's not the case (both of them) then search for another thing. It is a nice advice eating low-calorie food but with volume. You are going to eat more for the same calories.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    When I used to eat 6 meals a day, or even 3, I had this problem. I would immediately start thinking about food and then think about how hungry I was right after I just ate. I eventually discovered Intermittent Fasting from another MFP member. I pretty much fast throughout the day and then have a time frame where I eat all my calories for the day. I have noticed I am more focused throughout the day and I go to bed feeling satisfied.

You may want to try something similar, for example eating a smaller breakfast, a fruit or so for lunch and then eating the remainder of your calories later in the evening.
  • SkinnyLegendR7
    SkinnyLegendR7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old thread but it could be a leptin imbalance. Leptin is the hormone that tells your brain that your stomach is full. If that hormone doesn't reach your brain to let it know its full, your brain will think you're still hungry. There are great videos on youtube explaining this.

I know this because I have the same issue. There are solutions. One is the Leptin Protocol by Dr. Jack Kruse. People have lost lots of weight on this protocol. I hope this helps.
  • davidaward14
    davidaward14 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just experienced the same thing yesterday night. I was legitimately hungry after eating dinner as well. I looked at my MFP calorie totals and knew that I had eaten enough for the day. Some people are lucky enough to only have to wait 20 minutes to feel full; others, like myself have to wait up to an hour.

You may not want to hear this, but the "only" real solution I found so far is too tough it out until you start feeling full.
  • jayknox83
    jayknox83 Posts: 1
    Options
    I found this very problem last year when I was on a cut.

April 2012 I had a metabolism of a 20 year old (I was 28 at the time). After focusing on interval training and upping the frequency of meals from 4 a day to about 8 or 9 small meals I found that by August 2012 I had a metabolism of a 13 year old and had dropped from about 12% body fat to under 8%, but with this decrease in body fat and increase of metabolism I found that I was constantly hungry but not only hungry would start to feel lethargic.
    This didn't sit well with me especially once I started back at college as couldn't eat as frequent, so now I eat about 4-6 meals a day and my metabolism is of a 14 year old (now I'm 29), and body fat is 10-11%.

Conclusion
    I think it's more to do with the amount of body fat one has, of course metabolism plays a part, but if you don't have a sufficient stored energy in means or carbs or fats it will effect you this way too.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    It takes 20 mins for your brain to register that you are full. In those 20 mins after eating.... drink water till time is up. You should not be hungry by then. But then it also depends on what you ate.
  • RubyRunner14
    RubyRunner14 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Your body perceives a shrinking stomach (water from meal leaving stomach, digesting) as hunger sometimes, which is why fat and protein is so important for satiation and digestion. Cortisol also plays a role in our post-breakfast hunger.

So... as a high-protein/fat person that used to eat exactly what you did.... eat more in general or eat more fat. I can't live off of carbs anymore... I can eat 700 cals worth of oats, manage two glasses of water, and still be hungry after a few hours. 700 calories worth of peanut butter, I can usually swig 8 glasses of water during that time and I won't be hungry for a good 9-10 hours.
  • jacquelineperrystephens
    Options
    Hot green tea seems to help me. (I add just a spot of honey) and will last me till my snack time...which is @ 2.5 hours after I have a 'meal'.
  • Karenbaccellieri
    Options
    This has to do with a release of insulin after eating. The hormone insulin gets released after eating. When there is a large part of the meal which contains carbs you will have more insulin, more protein will have you releasing less insulin. Insulin causes you to feel hungry as well as makes you store fat. If you eat lower carbs ( and more fiber) and more protein components to the meal you will feel less hunger after a meal. Eating low glycemic carbs will help too. If you eat a hi fiber, hi protein meal and are hungry 15 min later try eating 10 peanuts. That should satisfy and end the insulin release.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I sometimes feel like that after a "lower fat" dinner. I usually just ignore it. I know I ate plenty. Sometimes a little chocolate or a scoop of ice cream helps, but if you're one of those people who don't do treats, then I suggest you make sure to include healthy fats in every meal.
  • jilliansfitzenjourney
    Options
    I've had this same problem and it's been what's made me have a hard time losing, when in the past I've lost a lot easier. I feel like I'm rarely satisfied. I know I get enough protein and drink enough water too! It's frustrating--VERY!
    Try looking into books about mindful eating and such. I've started meditating and journaling and finding lots of ways to keep myself busy. Also, getting enough sleep is important too. Sometimes when I don't sleep enough, I feel hungrier!

I'm a personal trainer, btw. If you have anymore questions or need support, feel free to contact me.

I know it's not much advice, just the comfort that you're not alone.