Why do I still feel hungry after just eating?

Options

Replies

• MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    It's because all of the processed foods, pesticides, and genetically modified garbage we have been fed our whole lives (on top of any medications we might take) have completely screwed up our brain chemicals and have altered the way our bodies were originally designed to work. It's not your fault, and it is extremely difficult to change because so many hormones and chemicals are involved with eating and digestion. Do not feel like a failure because you can't control your appetite. And don't listen to those who say it's all about willpower; that is a myth.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Pregnant?
  • washingtonette
    Options
    Make sure you don't have an ulcer. The beginning of one can make you feel like you're just hungry, but as it progresses it will get worse and then you'll feel a pain in your stomach (feeling like a very severe hunger pain). And yes, you can get ulcer pains after eating food. If you're drinking enough water, eating enough fiber and protein, and still having an issue with hunger, I would talk to your doctor.

I had an ulcer that eventually turned into a bleeding ulcer, all because I thought I was just hungry.
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Make sure you don't have an ulcer. The beginning of one can make you feel like you're just hungry, but as it progresses it will get worse and then you'll feel a pain in your stomach (feeling like a very severe hunger pain). And yes, you can get ulcer pains after eating food. If you're drinking enough water, eating enough fiber and protein, and still having an issue with hunger, I would talk to your doctor.

I had an ulcer that eventually turned into a bleeding ulcer, all because I thought I was just hungry.

Thank you. This was very helpful. I emailed him and asked what he thought so hopefully we can see what's going on (=
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Pregnant?

As much as I'd love to be, pretty doubtful. This happens to me all the time when I start watching portions and cutting out bad food.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Pregnant?

As much as I'd love to be, pretty doubtful. This happens to me all the time when I start watching portions and cutting out bad food.

Maybe your body just needs adjusting. I am the same way when I eat healthy for the first week, but then I adjust and feel fuller. Also make sure you get a lot of veggies.
  • like_milk
    like_milk Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Just to comment on someone who mentioned ulcers. This is a possibility, do you take any anti-inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen or such as those can cause stomach pains that feel like hunger.

I sometimes get hungry later in the day and it feels like nothing can stop it. I've noticed it's more likely to happen if I have a high sugar/carb breakfast or lunch. Not sure why, it just seems to happen.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I ate so much for so many years that I was pretty much never hungry. I actually enjoy feeling hungry now. It feels "right".

This.

It took me a couple weeks after I changed my eating to even feel hungry, I wasn't used to the feeling. it was exciting. haha.
  • silverburk
    Options
    Your stomach takes 20 minutes to recognize what you just ate. Try eating slowly. I've read that you should count eat bite you eat. Like count how many times you chew it. you should chew it, I believe atleast 20-30 times. :)
  • thr33martins
    thr33martins Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Carb dependency. Lose the carbs, you will lose the hunger.
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I still get that way and the more my stomach growls the harder it is to fight! I hate it :(
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I doubt that you're hungry but you could try eating real food instead of shakes and processed stuff. Your food diary shows you've bought into the whole "diet" plan.

I left my BBV shake at home today and had to stop at the gas station to get something so I got a muscle milk but I don't have time in the morning to make a HEARTY breakfast, nor do I like the taste of breakfast food really and it's all too fattening. I don't like oatmeal, and the only breakfast I do like is eggs, pancakes, sausage and bacon, lol. The shakes work well for me and hold me over usually. Lunch is my biggest problem with feeling hungry, and sometimes dinner.

20 minutes
    fiber

I don't usually mention name brand foods here, but for instance check out Luna's new fiber bars. You can take one with you even when you don't have time to prepare anything. 7 grams of fiber and only 110 calories. The main problem with them is that you can eat them too quickly, but if you eat them on the drive and wait about 20 minutes...
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Save a few bites and have 20 mins after eating. Or eat something like a cheese stick.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Every once in awhile, I do. It's either because what I ate wasn't very filling - like the cookies I ate this morning. But usually I think it's more a mental thing. I like chewing and tasting things, I guess. Try slowing down and really chewing things down to a liquid; that helps me.

By the way, the stomach growling is more a digestive activity than a hunger signal. I've heard hunger described as a pulling at the throat, and that seems pretty accurate in my experience.
  • hello50s
    Options
    I find a bowl of oatmeal in the morning with some brown sugar fills me to lunch, so i don't feel like I'm still hungry after.
    I find I have the issue with always still being hungry once I start eating- esp after supper. like I can't stop till I've had something sweet.
    I agree with the others that sometimes it takes time to register you've eaten, eat something else then but healthy :)
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Nobody really wants to hear this, but it's the truth. The overweight are malnourished. They are starving to death. When we are hungry all the time, it means we are not eating foods that nourish our bodies with adequate nutrients. Instead, we are often consuming an acidic diet. By doing this, all we're doing is feeding the critters inside us what they want, rather than what our bodies need. Please read my blog www.hollycat50.wordpress.com.

Hollycat:flowerforyou:

Not every overweight person is malnourished, I'm sure.
    Alright. I will expand and explain. I might have said under-nourished, rather than malnourished. That's probably easier to accept. Actually, fat cells are an outward indicator of malnourishment [under-nourishment, if you like] and toxicity. There are two factors at play here: Toxins ingested in food and the acidity/alkalinity of the food we ingest. Toxins within foods make food difficult to digest and assimilate, even if it is considered high in nutritional value.

To keep toxins away from the internal organs, fat cells are formed which hold the toxins away from the internal organs. It is the body's protective response to ingesting toxins, in order to protect the internal organs from those toxins. Toxins are not just environmental toxins absorbed through the lungs and skin, but are also found in our food. Growth hormones, sodium nitrates, micro-organisms that occur during decomposition [rotting] and vaccinations found in commercially bred meats; growth hormones found in dairy products, artificial colours, [red dye No. 5 being the worst]; ethers, dioxins and molds in cheese; artificial sweeteners; all processed sugar [the absolute WORST toxin in existence - if we discovered it today, it would be banned]; processed fructose; processed white flour; processed oils, pesticides and fungicides found on commercially grown fruits and vegetables; plastic particles that come off in packaging. This list only touches on the dozens of toxins we ingest in our food every day.

Toxins can be man-made [chemicals], heavy metals or cells that are alive but not meant to be ingested by humans, either at all, or in excess quantities. Anything that the body is not meant to ingest it considers a poison or toxin and deals with it accordingly. When toxins are present in food, nutrients are mal-absorbed, resulting in under-nourishment. Toxins can also be an excess of natural cells the body WAS meant to ingest - such as excess protein. For example, the average person requires 2-5% protein as part of their overall diet. The average person in north america consumes 18% protein from animal products. The average person is over-consuming protein, which translates into toxicity and over-acidity in the body. Also, protein from animals has a pH in the acidic range, which makes it harder to digest and the nutrients contained within the meat are more difficult to assimilate. We don't generally puree our meat [eww], which would make it easier to digest.

Human blood pH should be slightly alkaline ( 7.35 - 7.45 ). Below or above this range generally means the occurrence of symptoms and disease. A pH of 7.0 is neutral. A pH below 7.0 is acidic. A pH above 7.0 is alkaline. The pH scale is approximately 1 to 14. Fresh meat has a pH level of between 5.8 to 6.3. It is prone to decomposition and micro-organisms by the time we get it commercially. So...we cook it, changing the pH level again and making it more acidic. It also destroys the enzymes that aid in digestion. When the body ingests cooked food, it reacts by going into a state called digestive leukocytosis - generation of white blood cells. It is the immune system's reaction to a TOXIN. If you ate 51% raw food, your body would NOT have this reaction, even when it ingested cooked food - just so you know you CAN eat cooked food. Chicken and fish are weakly acidic and closest to neutral acidity. This may explain why some vegans eat fish. Beef and turkey are acidic. Pork and shellfish are highly acidic.

Let's talk about dairy. I love cheese. Probably always will. Lots of us love cheese and identify it as the one food we don't want to live without. Want to know why we LOVE CHEESE? Because it contains opiates. That's right. You read it correctly. Opiates. It's a 'feel good' food. Don'tcha just love cheesecake? Well...now you know why. Cheese contains caso-morphines, which are casein derived opiates. If you add these chemicals to rat kibble, those little suckers will gain 46% more weight than their friends who eat ordinary rat kibble. It's not just what your'e eating, it's what's IN what you're eating! Can you seriously stop at 1 oz. of cheese? Who DOES that?! And if you can, don't you want more? Aren't you craving more? And more? And maybe just a little bit more?

Oil, sugar and salt cause much the same reaction in our pleasure centres. We're pleasure-based beings. We respond to these reactions by wanting more. The chemical reaction to ingesting these foods alters our perception of how good a food actually tastes. These foods equal artificial stimulation, thus addiction, but that's another discussion. Could it possibly be that certain food industries are conspiring against you through advertising to keep you addicted to their products? I hope by now you're reading that being fat is NOT and never has been a moral failure, but the result of chemical reactions that occur in the body. Stop beating yourself up right now! and start researching and acting on the truth.

Now for milk. Milk is a cow food designed to turn baby cows into big cows. Well...what about calcium? Isn't milk a great source of calcium? Yes. But it also contains excessive protein and some dairy products contain excessive sodium as well, such as everybody's favorite diet food - cottage cheese. Milk is acidic and high in sugar, which actually causes an unexpected reaction in the body. To counteract the acidity, calcium is leached from the bones to neutralize the acidity. Dairy actually LEACHES calcium from your skeleton! Bet you didn't hear that from the guys who asked "Got milk?"

All fruits and vegetables are alkaline and strongly alkaline, which is why they are more easily assimilated and used as energy by the body. They don't have to be 'worked on' as much and they are close to the blood's own pH level, particularly green leafy vegetables. The chlorophyl cells found in green leafy vegetables are almost bio-identical to red blood cells. Fruits and vegetables that are liquified or artifically masticated [chewed], such as fresh juice and smoothies, are almost immediately assimilated into the body. Their micronutrients are immediately absorbed and used and if they are organic, the body does not have to deal with toxins in addition to expending energy digesting.

What we are, quite simply, missing in our diets [read: under-nourishment] by NOT eating enough organic fruits and vegetables are the hundreds of trace minerals and nutrients found in these foods. For example, there are 900 micronutrients in broccoli, 700 micronutrients in strawberries. Fruits and vegetables are quite simply amazing in their health-promoting and healing properties. However, when you ingest foods that contain lots of micronutrients, as well as lots of toxins, such as pesticides and fungicides found in commercially grown foods, you counteract the body's ability to absorb those fabulous nutrients, because it is working so hard to remove and separate the toxins [creating fat cells]. The toxins almost counteract the effects of the nutrients ingested. Not to mention the fact that 5-day old food has 40% of the nutritional content it had when it was first picked. Does your food have to travel to you? And let's not forget the fact that commercial soil is 'fertilized' with three chemicals - potassium, nitrogen and phosphorous. We need 52 minerals. Where are the other 49 going to come from?

Another factor in the equation occurs when we ingest a diet that consists of mainly [over 50%] acidic foods [foods on the acidic end of the pH scale -meat, dairy, processed grains and foods]. I think by this time, I've explained thoroughly that these foods generally contain more toxins than found in organic fruits and vegetables, because of the way they are raised and processed. When the bulk of our diet consists of mainly these foods, our acidity and toxin levels rise in a compounding fashion, which essentially equates to the body having to create more fat cells to protect our internal organs. The more fat cells we have, the logical conclusion is that we hold more toxins than someone without those fat cells. That could be true, but a slim person can also be acidic and prone to the same diseases, even if they burn off the fat cells through exercise or a high metabolism [which ages the body prematurely, but that's another discussion]. Thinner isn't necessarily healthier.

Eventually, the protective response no longer works and our blood becomes highly acidic, allowing yeast, mold and fungus to exist in the interstitial fluid/plasma, which breaks down our immune system's ability to function at optimum levels, thus allowing disease to begin and thrive in the internal organs because the white blood cells are so busy trying to kill the invaders in the interstitial fluid. If the environment becomes acidic enough, blood cells are poorly formed and even less effective. These organisms [yeast, mold and fungus] can only survive in an acidic environment that we create by ingesting acidic foods. If we ingest mainly alkaline foods, they simply cannot exist. Because we allow it, by believing we are eating 'healthy', according to what our doctors, the media and the food industry tell us, we get sick.

Are they lying to us? Probably not intentionally. Consider the fact that the food industry is profit-based. Consider the idea that the food industry and the pharmaceutical industry supplement university doctor training. Consider the fact that corporations fund most of the 'studies' that are done, whose 'wisdom' we rely on to judge nutritional discussions. Consider the fact that the information I'm sharing is NOT profit based and those that believe it are not as able to widely distribute the information and facts they have. They don't have millions to spend on advertising.

I know from personal experience that 50 years of eating the standard north american diet will lead to a highly acidic body with the beginnings of one or more systemic diseases. In my case, heart disease and diabetes. I could also have contracted cancer, MS, arthritis, hypertension, lupus, crohns and chronic fatigue. Or 'lesser' conditions such as alopecia, psoriasis and urticaria, which are usually indicators of greater problems. That is not to say that only fat people get these diseases, but the prevalence is greater in those with excess fat cells, because they are not only battling acidity, but toxins.

My purpose in pointing all this out is to also point out the 'good news' alternative. It can all be reversed. Seriously. Eat a 70-80% nutritionally optimum organic, plant-based diet and YOUR BODY WILL RELEASE FAT CELLS LIKE CRAZY, because they are no longer required! And you will attain optimum health. In fact, even if you eat 51% raw, your body will release fat cells like crazy. If you're not ingesting mainly acidic foods and toxins, the body will release the toxins. Again, where are the toxins? In fat cells. Allow me to repeat: Eating a 70-80% alkaline, plant-based diet, releases fat cells like crazy. It almost literally melts off your body, because it is NO LONGER REQUIRED. The body receives the nutrition it has been craving, reverses the acidiity and the whole system starts working better. White cells are no longer sluggish and confused, so they attack disease efficiently. Red cells are beautifully formed, so they carry oxygen efficiently to every part of your body [no more huffing and puffing]. The interstitial fluid is no longer acidic, so yeast, mold and fungus can no longer exist, therefore disease is almost non-existent. Your internal organs are efficiently protected by your immune system.

If the north american public accepted this truth, instead of the profit-motivated myths that pervade our understanding and myth-based arguments, and are deemed 'true' because of simple repetition, hundreds of thousands of doctors would be out of business and the 'obesity epidemic' would be ancient history. And our quality of life and longevity would be absolutely astonishing. Talk about health insurance! The HMO's and pharmaceutical companies would be out of business too. No more pills. No more side effects. Stand up and fight back, for pete's sake! The good news is...it's easy. Eat a salad. Scour the internet. Buy organic. Buy a juicer. Buy a good blender. Or don't. Pick one up at a yard sale. Just puree longer. Eat raw nuts and seeds. Do your homework. Watch videos. "Food Matters" is a really good one to start with. So is 'Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead". If there is a spark of interest in you, please please please find out the truth. Be one of the few who can say they are a Great Grandmother/Grandfather. Get revenge on your relatives by living forever and spending their inheritance on highly nutritional foods. It's cheaper than a hospital visit.

The Japanese breast cancer rate is less than 1%. They eat a plant-based, seafood rich diet. 29.6% of people [male and female] in Canada will experience some kind of cancer during their lifetime. THAT'S A THIRD of the population!! We generally eat a mainly acidic diet of commercially grown and developed and processed foods. Hmm.

Are we getting the connection yet? Are we understanding that prevention through optimal nutrition and after-disease treatment of symptoms are completely different things? Are we getting that doctors have no cures, only treatments and they're doing the best they can in the environment they're locked into? They are not in the disease prevention business. They are in the treatment business. Less than 6% of all doctors receive ANY nutritional training. It is up to US to prevent disease. Are we getting that taking personal responsibility for our nutritional intake and education is quite simply and easily the only way to prevent disease? Am I the only one getting it?

Bash me if you will, but these are the facts, folks and I just can't hold back any longer.

Hollycat:flowerforyou:

"Let thy food be thy medicine, and thy medicine be thy food." Hippocrates
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Wait like a half hour. Usually takes me that long to feel full after I eat. Also drink lots of water, especially try having a glass before the meal. Workout so you can eat more.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it's hunger? Sometimes I have what feels like hunger, but it's really issues with digestion. If I drink coffee regularly, it burns my stomach and before it gets to the point where i feel pain, it feels like I'm hungry all the time. It's weird.

I was thinking this too. Sometimes I'll eat things that create a lot of stomach gas and it almost feels like hunger pangs...
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I have this problem!

My theory, rough though it may be, is that my stomach hasn't sent the signal to my brain saying: ALL FULL! So there's this lag and I THINK I'm hungry but I'm not actually.

Try eating more slowly?
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could try eating slower, a meal "should" take you about 30 minutes to eat. Eat mindfully and enjoy, don't snarf. :P