Older women success stories please!

Options

Replies

• Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I am 48 and, as my ticker states, have lost 36 lbs so far. Another pound and a half and I will weigh less than I have in the last 10 years - or when I went through menopause at the ripe young age of 38. It's definitely harder for me to lose the weight now than it was in my younger years, but apparently I can do it by logging everything, even taking accountability for what I'm consuming (like my alcohol on Friday and Saturday nights) and exercising my a** off. I'd like to lose another 15 lbs or so and I'm not giving up until I do! My biggest issue with age/menopause is that I no longer have a waist. My body shape is referred to as the banana! How exciting is that? All I can do is hope that my waist will at least be noticeable as a waist in the next 15 lbs. I am 5'5" and 151.5 lbs currently. We can do it, we just have to make it a priority! Go "older women", go!
  • teacher5mom3
    teacher5mom3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    With my forties approaching, I found that I couldn't get rid of my stomach and I really couldn't blame having kids anymore. :) I started jogging/walking, and now with this app I can see how many carbs I am eating, which was so much more than I thought I was. Hoping that it will help to be on this, and I am training for my first full marathon in May. Thumbs up to all of you.
  • BabyJago
    BabyJago Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    No, don't give up on yourself. I lost more than twenty pounds 10 years ago and have kept it off. I was 42 at the time and now I'm 52 heading for 53. I use My Fitness Pal to "maintain not gain", since I am currently going through menopause and maintaining my weight is harder than ever, despite regular exercise and diet.

Yes, your body does change - I'm still wearing the same clothes and size that I have for more than 10 years, but things feel softer and less defined. People tell me I "look great" but some days, I just feel old (it's the hormone thing).

But, keep at it and NEVER give up. Counting calories and exercising at least 3-4 times a week has kept me the same size for more than 10 years. It's harder now, but I'll never given and let me myself get old and fat. Believe in yourself and celebrate your successes. I don't smoke, I avoid the sun and only have an occasional drink - that has helped me in my attempts to stay "young" as well.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I have lost 30 pounds or more 4 different times in my life, then put it back on plus more. I'm so mad at myself! The last time was in 1989 on a 480-calorie-per-day diet through Weight Loss Clinic (curse them!). As I regained weight, I told myself that I was done with dieting and would let my body settle where "it wanted to be". In 2009 on New Year's Day, I weighed 207. Ack! I abandoned the "let my body settle" plan and actively started on a campaign to improve my fitness and reduce my weight. I exercised like a maniac in 2009 and lost 15 pounds, which was SOOOOO disappointing. I didn't realize then that you couldn't get rid of excess fat with exercise alone. Since then, it's been up-down-up-down, starting a new diet plan on one day, abandoning it within hours. Repeat.

Anyway, here I am, age 58. Something finally clicked about my eating habits in September 2012, and I have done pretty well since then. I've lost 11 pounds (4 before MFP). I decided to weigh in again on Thanksgiving morning and am so nervous about it. I haven't had many slip-ups in my diet, but I'm so scared that the scales will show 0 loss. My clothing doesn't fit much differently since the last weigh-in. Anyway, not being an eating machine anymore is its own reward, but I want fat loss to follow.

I've been exercising a little, but I really need to step that up. I don't want to be all flabby. I really fear the amount of loose skin I might end up with.
  • SweetMe1
    SweetMe1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm 62 and in the two months I've been on MFP I've lost 20 pounds. I'm a third of the way to my ultimate weight loss goal. Six years ago I weighed over 300 pounds (see photo in my profile). Yes, it can be done. Yes, it's slow. And yes, it's hard. But don't let age stop you!
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I'm 42. I started Aug 2011 at 238lbs size 24. Today I'm ~170 (I don't weight myself often) and I am a size 8/10 depending on the cut.

I lift heavy and I work out 3-5 x a week .. cardio/yoga/lifting/swimming with lifting 3x a week for 2.5 hours total.

I EAT.. that's the best part. I eat enough to keep my muscles happy and my body strong. I eat more and I lose weight.. or I don't gain weight and still lose inches. The number doesn't matter too much to me. I just want to be toned and look healthy.

good luck, friends are always welcome.
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I am 50, started my weight loss journey 3 years ago (sept 25th 09).
    No matter your age.... you can do it... set your mind to it... get healthy and it will show... from the inside out... health is wealth !!!
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm 64 and as you can see, I have had a bit of success. Don't throw in the towel, it's not just about how you look but how healthy you are and how good you will feel!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    ^^^what she said.
  • 4d9r
    4d9r Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Bump to read more of this later. All these stories are so great! You all rock! :drinker:
  • RiverDancer68
    RiverDancer68 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I'm 44 and in the best shape of my life! I came here in May of 2010, with the intent to lose weight and get in shape :drinker: I actually lost too much weight, I was at 155ish and got down to 126ish...now I am at a healthy 135-140. I do yoga and dance 5-6 days a week. I also have had 3 kids, so other than the loose skin that I have on my belly from pregnancy, I am pretty firm (and happy!). All and all I sometimes get a little nostalgic for my 20's and 30's, but really, happiness is only in the Now, not holding onto the past!
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Age 71. Lost 55 pounds so far. More to go.
    It's not the age. It's the attitude.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I am a 52 year old women and have been active all my life. Three years ago I put on 30 pounds and at 5'-3" 160 pounds was just too much. Fortunately I am muscular and I gain weight proportionately, so I didn't look too bad. BUT I felt huge! I dropped the first 20 pounds pretty easily once I started going back to the gym. The last 10 lbs. was possible by adding weight training and logging into myfitnesspal.

My weight has remained about 128 the past year and a half. Now with the holidays upon us, I have decided to login again just to keep myself in check.

Exercise, weights, friends, sleep, water and a healthy diet have been the key to my success.
  • SoopraBint
    Options
    I'm 45 and just starting my journey.

My inspiration is Laura London www.lauralondonfitness.com

She's 46 and she looks amazing!!
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    probably posted before but I'll post again...

I'm 50 now and in the best shape I've ever been. I was a heavy kid, middle schooler, thin high schooler and college kid (smoking and not eating)..then gained it all till I was close to 200 lbs ...had babies and now I am at 135....in a size 8 jean (never not even the thin high schooler)...and just bought my first pair of zumba pants that I wear to class.

anything is doable if you put your mind to it! :) feel free to add me

beforeafter.jpg
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Don't know if anyone's mentioned it (this thread is LONG), but one of the best favors you can do yourself is PICKING UP HEAVY WEIGHTS. Look up LorinaLynn's profile. Yeah, I'm a young'un still, but listen to me. :flowerforyou:
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I am on older woman ( 64!) and 4 years ago I lost 150 pounds. I can walk 2 miles on the treadmill--instead of spending my days sitting in a wheelchair. I sometimes misplace my walker when I walk off and leave it in another room--instead of not being able to take a single step without it. My hours in the gym have paid off in increased strength and decreased arthritis pain. And, oh yeah, people who knew me "before" tell me I look amazing. Go for it ladies. I promise it is work it!!!
  • Kismet_35
    Kismet_35 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am 47 and have battled with weight issues most of my adult life but I have recenly lost 27 and hope to lose about 35 more. It doesn't come quickly, that is for sure, but I feel like I am on a path and that path will eventually lead me to a place where I want to be...fit and healthy. I will never look like a 20 year old but I am okay with that. I just want to be the best 47 year old I can be. If you want to add me as a friend please feel free. We fierce women in our 40's need to stick together :)
  • LeslieC1970
    Options
    Funny that I just posted a note to my MFP friends about being frustrated with this. I am finding that losing weight in my 40s is brutal. It used to come off so easily and now I am working out with a trainer, doing extra cardio sessions, and counting calories and I can still go weeks without seeing the scale move. I have 60lbs more to go so it gets a little overwhelming at times. What is good is that my size is changing so hopefully the scale will catch up with it.
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I was average weight most of my life but in my 40's it started to creep up. By age 53 I reached my top weight of 185 (I'm almost 5'1"). I developed Type II Diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, joint issues, breathing issues... you name it. I felt horrible, I looked horrible and I resigned myself that this was going to be my lot in life. Well.... it wasn't! One day I woke up and said ENOUGH! It took me over a year once I really put my mind to it, but by age 55 I was down to 118! I remarried on the first day of spring (Spring Equinox) in 2011 and with the happiness of my new relationship came the food celebrations and 17 pounds came back. There was no way I was going to continue down that road again, so I joined MFP, started logging and seeing what I was REALLY eating (makes a huge difference when you see it in black and white) and I have lost 12 of those 17 pounds. Age has nothing to do with it! Is it harder to lose weight as you get older? Only if you're moving less.... I have a bad hip (being replaced in January) and that HAS slowed me down, but I've made adjustments and I'm doing well. I'm losing around 1 1/2 to 2 pounds a week and I feel like a curtain has been lifted! I am 60 years old and I feel awesome! Don't give up! No excuses!!! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!