Older women success stories please!

Options

Replies

• kscharsu
    Options
    How wonderful of you to share!!! I am just getting started and have approx 60 pounds to loose. Having never been heavy until my mid-40's and having struggled ever since...I am so encouraged by your story. Thank you once again!!!
  • LisaLouisiana
    LisaLouisiana Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 and doing well on my journey. I went back to eating healthy and I exercise some and the weight is coming off. I'm not menopausal yet, though, so that may influence it some, but I think the main two things are that I figured out how to eat and I'm consistent with it.
  • WillowWindow
    WillowWindow Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks for great inspiration everyone!

:)
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm 45. Not close to menopause yet.
    I've lost around 60 pounds in the last 7 months on 1200 cals per day. Only exercise is walking.

Before:
    before_zpsaaa32e77.jpg

After (from last week's vacation)
    559706_10200664957410639_1977526264_n_zps52381cd4.jpg
    540940_4855164050316_1413779010_n_zps662dc842.jpg
  • cindiva65
    cindiva65 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Im going to be 48 this year.....I plan on being fierce!!!!! LOL :glasses:
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I'm 44...I don't call myself an 'older lady'....actually I'm still a girl!! :bigsmile:

You can do it, just keep at it! :flowerforyou:
  • d3gus
    d3gus Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    46 with 47 around the immediate corner lol... not found it too much of a struggle so far ( 23lb lost since 9th Jan ) but a long way to go till i'm the same weight as on my wedding day 140lb ! but i'm more confident that this is my time I will reach that magical number, and each day will bring me closer to it.

It's funny because at 140lb i was in a uk size 10 wedding dress, yet with the math i was still technically overweight! not entirely convinced about these bmi numbers!! unfortunately my doctor is!!
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I'm 40, in the last year I have lost 64lbs and gone from a size 16 to a size 8 - don't give up my dear you can do it!!!!!!
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 years old and lost 65 pounds in the first 7 months. The only exercise I did during that time was walking and riding my bike. I have 10 more to go that seem to be hanging on. With the winter months I didn't get out much for walks. Full time college course load has kept me extremely busy plus my 3 kids. I was able to get back out and walk the past couple of days but the weather has turned on me again. I do have a weight lifting set now and have used it but lifting has set off my MS and Fibro pains and spasms so one day of lifting for even 10 minutes has me in severe pain and spasms for over a week. For me its just not worth it. I do lift up to 80lbs but can't go above that. Still working on that last 10 pounds and not about to give up! I went from a size 14 jeans to an 8.

Just set small goals and don't look too far ahead. Once I meet those goals I award myself with something like a day at the hair dressers, shopping for new clothes, see a new movie etc. DON"T reward yourself with food...your not a dog. Do something nice for yourself.
  • Eatkansasbeef
    Eatkansasbeef Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • annlsinger
    annlsinger Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm 54, and post-menopausal. I started on October 15 in a study at UCSF. It is a pre-diabetes prevention study and the there are three components: walk 12,000 steps per day (they do a baseline assessment of your average daily steps for two weeks at the beginning and you start at that level and increase by 20% each week), count and log calories (mine were to be between 1500 and 2000), and answer a phone ap twice per day. The goal is to reduce your body weight by 10% and reduce your fasting glucose level.

It is March 12 (jus 3 days short of 5 months). I've lost 56 pounds, about 18% of my body weight, and am walking 12,000 steps (about 6 miles--takes me a bit over two hours) every day that I can. I always get the steps done on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. I get alot of steps (about 9,000-10,000) in on Tuesdays and Fridays. For various reasons having to do with work and child....Wednesdays and Thursdays are a bit of a challenge, but I do as much as I can.

All steps count. I go to Curves 4 times per week (and that counts in the step totals).

I'm feeling great. I have quite a ways to go. But, what a difference 5 months and 56 pounds can make.

The study is over in a couple of weeks, but I plan on continuing just the way I have been going.

I'd love some friends here, so send a message!
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP last fall but "fell off the wagon" and didn't rejoin(if you will) until after my 49th birthday last April. I decided then and there that I would reach my 50th birthday at my goal weight or damn close! Now that I am only 28 LBS from my goal, whenever I feel like it isn't coming off fast enough, I look at all the success stories and get re-inspired! You can do this. Don't listen to any of the nay-sayers. I have tried many times before to lose weight and have even succeeded to some extent only to regain it all back and then some. I truly think that the difference this times comes from really wanting this. Therefore, it is not a diet but, a lifestyle choice. Because of a changed mindset, I am actually finding it so much easier this time. I have my weak moments to be sure but, I will make it this time!

I found my earlier post and feel the need to update it, especially for the original author. I am now 8 LBS from goal and am even contemplating lowering my goal from 150 to 145 LBS. I turn 50 on April 4. I'm still not sure I will make goal by then but I will be so close, it doesn't really even matter. The point is, anyone can do this, if they really want it. It is all in the way you think about it. If you are doing this for any other reason than for yourself, you are bound to fail. It MUST be for you and you alone.
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I'm 44. I started with MFP a little more than a year ago.
  • Carma0410
    Options
    Please don't stop, I just started yesterday and I need some inspiration.
  • Carma0410
    Options
    So proud of you, I hope I will be able to lose like you. I am 60 and look forward to light at the end of the tunnel.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i just turned 46 and losing weight this time has been easier than any other time in my life. The excuses like menopause or slow metabolism are just that, weak lame excuses. I dropped 85 pounds in 7 months with determination and effort. Put me next to any 20 year old girl, they got nothing on me. My maturity and wisdom and experience and "older woman" finances has helped make me the healthiest and best shape i've ever been in my life.
  • pigote
    pigote Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Don't give up . . . just keep going! Between age 57 & 58 I've lost 54 pounds, it IS possible. Keep moving, keep logging, use friends for support. Remember, it's more about being healthy than looking 20. I wish I had appreciated my young skin and firmer parts back then but I'm doing what I can do for being "near" 60 . . . . yikes, how did THAT happen?!

I commend you for trying - we 40+ rock!
  • cindygretz
    Options
    I'm 43, full menopause at 30, hypothyroid since about that time. I was up to 240 being sedentary when my son left for boot camp in June of 2011. In August of 2011 I started a job that has me walking and moving constantly. In the first year I'd lost about 60lbs without changing my diet much at all then stalled, but 6 weeks ago (started biggest loser contest at work) I decided it's time.

I want to live long enough to take my great-grandchildren fishing, and I want to look good doing it, so this Biggest Loser thing is just the catalyst for a lifestyle change. I gave up my Pepsi, started looking at nutrition labels, and found this website.

So far, according to the 'official' scales for the contest, I'm down 17 lbs in 6 weeks doing nothing different than a calorie deficit. However, tomorrow a fellow 'BL' and I are starting the Couch to 5k program together. We're planning to do a 5k together in October. She's 10 years my junior but I'll be damned if I'm going to let her show me up on this one!
  • ColeyBear08
    ColeyBear08 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    n54fm9.png
    2q0odg4.jpg

195 to 150is

I have lost more since the after picture but I'm not taking a new one until May.
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I am not a success yet, but I am working on it. I have lost 16lbs so far. Only about half way there. I am 58. It is a lot harder the older you get. It seems like everything has to be in sinc for you to lose a pound, at least for me. Obviously everyone is different when it comes to how easy/hard they lose weight. I am doing more weights than I had originally planned on doing, hoping that helps to get rid of the fatty tummy that doesn't seem to want to go away.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!