Older women success stories please!

Options

Replies

• Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    What a great thread! Very inspiring to read.
  • tmbf57
    tmbf57 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This thread is very inspiring! I had thrown in the towel up until 2 weeks ago. I was discouraged because, after losing 25 lbs about 3 years ago , I slowly let mysel regain all but 10 lbs :( I am 56 years old and convinced myself that I was just going to gracefully age and that weight gain was part of it. Two weeks ago, I was back at 200 lbs and I decided oh heck no! I got back on MFP and have lost 2 lbs a week for a total of 4 lbs in 2 weeks. I'm in it for the long haul. My goal is to reach 150 lbs so I have almost 47 lbs to go. I am very inspired by these stories of middle aged to older women losing weight and keeping it off. Thanks for the support.
  • Pamela_June
    Pamela_June Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I am 67 and have been on the program for a couple of years - have not lost much, but it was because the plan doesn't work, it was me- I felt like being 'older' I had no one to talk with or whine to... it's nice to see there are many of us more 'mature' folks trying to become healither...

Pamela June
    :smile:
  • Healthy67Chick
    Healthy67Chick Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    bump
  • toolgirl626
    toolgirl626 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight AFTER I turned 60. I will be 67 in a few days, and I've never felt or looked better. I've maintained my weight loss for 5 years, and even if I looked like a crone, I would not care. I am no longer on any medication, except for a blood thinner due to an irregular heartbeat that has been repaired. I lost more weight than what I weigh. I lost my weight by eating a sensible diet and exercise. I lost over 100 lbs. within 3 years. No matter how anybody does it, any weight loss program is the same, restriction of calories and movement. I might also mention, I've survived breast cancer and a stroke while in my 50's. I feel very blessed.
  • susieque25
    susieque25 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm 57, and it is harder. I do exercise 5-6 days a week for an hour. But lately I've had trouble making healthy choices in meals. I've indulged in many sweets, my weakness. And today I couldn't exercise because of pain. I usually can offer more encouragement;, but today I'm looking for support!
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    What an inspiration all of you ladies are! Thank you from someone new to MFP.
  • 2manyhats
    2manyhats Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to look like a 20 yo at 45, then yes, throw in the towel. But if your goal is to be fit and healthy, and look as good as you can, then hang on to the towel and use it to mop the sweat off your face as you workout.

I am 51. Last year I lost 27 lbs. I've been maintaining it since. It is harder now, but not impossible. I don't look like I did when I was 20, 30 or even 40. But I look d**** good for a 51 yo grandma!!!
    LOVE it!
  • 2manyhats
    2manyhats Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Sneaking up on the big 50 and you ladies rock! And give me hope! Thank you!
    :wink:
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 and haven't really had any trouble. I have my goal set for a teeny deficit so I can lose weight as slowly as possible. I am in this for the long haul.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    So true! I have to remember the health factor.

But, older ladies! Where are you?

I thought you meant " older ladies "...lol. 45 is not really old. I am 65, started here on April 10th and have lost 33 pounds. I have no thyroid and take daily Cortisone and weekly Cortisone shots for Lupus. According to many women here, that makes weight loss impossible.I don't agree.
    I exercise daily, but modestly and eat 1200 calories of natural food and practice IF ( 5:2 on two days as well as 18:6 for the other days of the week ) because it makes me feel good. I don't take supplements, or shakes, but eat well and try to get 7 hours of nightly rest and have a life with full time work and other varied interests ( which I think is important for a life style change).
  • lessele
    lessele Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am about a month from my 63rd Birthday. I have lost a little over 51 pounds and have been maintaining for some time. I do not deny myself the things I love, I just do them in moderation and make sure I compensate if I eat a little something more than I "should." People have told me that I dont need to lose more and that if I did it might make me look drawn or haggard. I am content although the desire is always to achieve the number in my head. I wear a size 8 and am 5'4". I have never been a skinny minnie and feel I look healthy. That is what matters to me. I lost slowly over about a year and have maintained since April. I try not to weigh myself more than once a month so that I dont go crazy with it. I walk and do casual excercise. At this point I will never be a swimsuit model...I just want to feel good, be attractive, and live a healthy happy life. It is important to be gentle on ourselves and appreciate ourselves and who we are. I have a level of acceptance but not complacency. My Doctor says I am "ridiculously" healthy....I love to hear that. No diabetes, no heart disease, no high blood pressure, no reflux...This is great. I can wear jeans and like what I see...It is all good!
  • roxanethree
    roxanethree Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss journey in Oct, turned 40 in Feb and am seeing the finish line coming up. :D I feel great. With daily exercise and watching my calories the weight has come off easily. Adding strength exercises has helped my skin. I'm sure I'll have a few problem areas left when I'm finished, but I feel so great now.

Life has totally changed for me. For anyone struggling, you can do this! Take it one day at a time and soon your first month will be over. Then it will be 3 months. It is really hard work, but worth it. :)
  • kayjaycee9
    kayjaycee9 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to get intimidated by all the 20 something people who lose 100 lbs and look AMAZING!! I'm afraid that when I lose my 60 lbs, I'm still going to look like an "eh" 45 year old. I also have heard that it's so much harder to lose weight post-menopause. Should I just throw in the towel now?:ohwell:

Definitely not! I'm 53, lost 25 lbs and feel great. Never give up. Come November I will have been logging for a year and I'm so proud of myself and intend to keep it up. It was nice buying smaller clothes instead of larger.
  • JeneaceT
    JeneaceT Posts: 3 Member
    Options
  • spirit05
    spirit05 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I am 50, have been on mfp for quite awhile but only got serious in Feb., on my birthday. To date I have lost 56 lb. mostly through diet and walking a few times a week.
    I also do 8 lb. hand weights 2 or 3 times a week. So far I have been happy with my results, though I have a long way to go. The only annoying thing I have noticed is the 'apron' that has formed where my belly used to be.
    Oh, and I do squats daily to keep the rear firm... usually between 50 and 100 most days.
  • MrsMX
    MrsMX Posts: 98
    Options
    This is without a doubt the best thread to read for motivation!!! (at our age) ...

Your go girls:flowerforyou:

:))x
  • GypsyRoad2
    GypsyRoad2 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I am 55 and just started this program last Wednesday. My sister had told me about MFP as I was completely unaware of it. I probably haven't lost any weight yet, but the information here is incredible. I am finding out what foods are BAD for me and I love the exercise section. I mowed and raked the yard today and earned over 300 extra calories for that.....Wow....I love this! I did lose 45 lbs about 11 years ago just watching what I ate and walking about 3 miles a day and working out with resistance bands and weights. I just need that determination and motivation back. I want to at least lose 35 lbs.
  • GypsyRoad2
    GypsyRoad2 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    spirit05
    I am 50, have been on mfp for quite awhile but only got serious in Feb., on my birthday. To date I have lost 56 lb. mostly through diet and walking a few times a week.
    I also do 8 lb. hand weights 2 or 3 times a week. So far I have been happy with my results, though I have a long way to go. The only annoying thing I have noticed is the 'apron' that has formed where my belly used to be.
    Oh, and I do squats daily to keep the rear firm... usually between 50 and 100 most days.

First of all I wanted to congratulate you on losing 56 lbs. I was looking at your before and after pictures and you look nice. I was wondering when you use the 8 lb hand weights what exercises do you do with those and for how long as in minutes, etc.? By the way my birthday is in Feb also, Feb 6 here!
  • ogiesmom
    ogiesmom Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm so glad I came across this thread, it's just the motivation I need right now!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!