Replies

• 2ndAct2014
    2ndAct2014 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I'm 44, I've been at this a year, and I'm looking down the barrel of a 100 pound loss soon.

Technically the weight has been coming off a bit FASTER for me now in my 40s than it did when I dieted (successfully) in my 20s. But I'm chalking that up to wisdom coming with age. I eat more calories than I did dieting in my 20s, but I exercise better and smarter than I did back then, and I track my food more accurately.
  • LanaBerk
    LanaBerk Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm here. I am 67 and have been a couch potato for 24 yrs. I have wasted all my muscle and couldn't sit in a Jacuzzi because I float to the top...can't even sit..*sigh.

So, I was 233 lbs. 6 months ago. Right now, I am 171. I didn't think it was possible. I got inspired and decided to get my brain out of the nonsense of only younger people can do it. I had to convince myself that it was possible. I didn't exercise for 4 months because I couldn't. I could only do x5 min on a treadmill. So I decided to wait it out...till I got to about 180 to start. I still don't do that much but I can over an hr on the treadmill now...walking.

I drastically had to cut my calories to get where I am. Nothing else will work for me. Not ready for strength yet due to I want to lose fat first. I mess around with some equip. but have no idea what I am doing. I sorta play at it. I can't afford a trainer.

Don't be fooled or mislead by the myths of "can't be done after menopause"...tell them to "Stick it". Sure my loss would have been quicker if I were younger but I am a perfect example of weight loss in seniors. I was using a scooter and then a cane till 6 months ago. If I did it, anyone can. People said it was unrealistic. My doctor said "No" also. Well, I'm glad I'm doing this and I am shocked at the results.
  • sybilmaybe
    sybilmaybe Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Don't give up...you'll look and feel great:flowerforyou:
    cd55a2ef0d_zpsbe6edb7d.jpg
  • CLDeyette
    CLDeyette Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Outwardlycalm
    Outwardlycalm Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I lost 10 pounds then had to have surgery in 2011 gained 15 pounds back and long recovery. Then lost 10 pounds again and back went out. Funny not only did I gain weight I lost inches in height. went from 5'5 to 5'4'. Got back on track and lost 15 pounds. The had to have surgery again. Looking at 3-6 months of recovery, but told I could walk. So in three years I have gained and lost, it seems the same 15 lbs. This is the definition of a roller coaster for sure! Hopefully I am finished with the surgeries for good, but still have to deal with back and knees. Nothing can be done there and pain pills are out. My doctor even joked that because I couldn't take pain pills maybe I could just drink a few beers, lite of course! LOL. Going to start walking 15 mins at a time 5 times a day until I can do more. Wish me luck.
  • mbadam69
    mbadam69 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Phew! So glad you said that...I just turned 45 on April 29th...I never considered myself one of the 'older ladies' before...maybe at 70 or so....but anyhow, I agree...put the mind to it and there's nothing we cannot achieve!
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I'm here. I am 67 and have been a couch potato for 24 yrs. I have wasted all my muscle and couldn't sit in a Jacuzzi because I float to the top...can't even sit..*sigh.

So, I was 233 lbs. 6 months ago. Right now, I am 171. I didn't think it was possible. I got inspired and decided to get my brain out of the nonsense of only younger people can do it. I had to convince myself that it was possible. I didn't exercise for 4 months because I couldn't. I could only do x5 min on a treadmill. So I decided to wait it out...till I got to about 180 to start. I still don't do that much but I can over an hr on the treadmill now...walking.

I drastically had to cut my calories to get where I am. Nothing else will work for me. Not ready for strength yet due to I want to lose fat first. I mess around with some equip. but have no idea what I am doing. I sorta play at it. I can't afford a trainer.

Don't be fooled or mislead by the myths of "can't be done after menopause"...tell them to "Stick it". Sure my loss would have been quicker if I were younger but I am a perfect example of weight loss in seniors. I was using a scooter and then a cane till 6 months ago. If I did it, anyone can. People said it was unrealistic. My doctor said "No" also. Well, I'm glad I'm doing this and I am shocked at the results.

Wow - what an achievement! It's amazing what determination can do!
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 56 and have on MFP since Sept 2013. I am 5'2" and needed to lose 25 lbs. I've lost 22 lbs so far. Feeling much better than I did last year! We just have to keep trying. We can be healthy at any age!
  • Donna6017
    Donna6017 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Just found this post and this is just what I needed. I was also feeling like I couldn't achieve my goal because I'm 51. All your stories have been inspiring. I need to get back to logging my food and dusting off my treadmill. Thanks ladies.
  • LanaBerk
    LanaBerk Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Me too. I haven't been tracking my food. I needed to post to reopen our stories. We mature ones need to stick together!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I was a very bad girl tonight. I have been seeing the add for the red white and blue breakfast slam at Dennys.
    they looked so so good. I love pancakes anyway, especially if they are special ones, not just plain pancakes. These are blueberry pancakes, topped with strawberries and then cream cheese drizzled on top with dollops of whipped cream on them. You need no syrup. Nut the breakfast comes with bacon, 2 eggs and hashbrowns. Now I know there are many substitions I can do for that breakfast to make it helthier. I'm not saying healthy. You can have whole grain pancakes, no whipped cream or cream cheese, substitute a fruit plate for the hasbrowns and and egg whites. But I wanted the whole shebang tonight. It was good. The waitress came back several times asking if I wanted a carry out box and I assured I could finish the whole thing, and I did. We usually get the senior grilled chicken breast but I have a sneaking suspicion that the chicken is a flaked and formed processed breast. I am going ot have to seriously relook at the menu items to find me something else.

Did I mention that it was scrumtiousdilyumptious!!!

Joyce, Indiana
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    3 weeks short of 72 and weight has been all over the place during my adult years. With MFP have lost and maintained a 15 lb loss. Have to log to keep track of things or it will start to creep up. A lifetime effort I'm afraid but worth it. Use resistance training and yoga to shape up.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    I like this thread! I'd love to see more pics of progress too, for inspiration. Can anyone oblige?
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I am 42. I have managed to keep 20 lbs off since 2009 and have recently started jogging and am seeing a difference even now. I'll never look 20 again, but I don't FEEL 42.
  • 2bassets
    2bassets Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I love the success stories of everyone here! I kept looking for girls my age (50's) on MFP. I have one question that doesn't get answered. How do you determine what you should weigh. This is a mystery to me. I've researched it on the internet and can't find anything that helps determine. Do we just loose weight until we feel we are at the correct weight???????
  • etremoi53
    etremoi53 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the weight lifting advice. I have heard it before and I thought that if I increased my aerobic exercise a lot that would do it, but I have done that and the scale has not budged. I will take your advice to work on strength training now.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Do we just loose weight until we feel we are at the correct weight???????

huh; never thought about that. i weighed somewhere between 120 and 125 in my 20's and i just assumed there wasn't any logical reason i knew of why i shouldn't weigh somewhere between 120 and 125 in my late 40's, if i felt like it. i'm within 10 pounds of 120 atm and i'm still thinking the same thing - like what's left to lose looks like around that much to me. just like it did when i was back in college.

except now you got me thinking about it :wink:

the only change i can think of is that i may be a little shorter now than i was, so that's a few pounds lighter. in the other direction, i'm doing stronglifts, which i sure wasn't doing when i was 23. so that's a few pounds heavier in the form of muscle (eventually). i figure they'll probably balance each other out by the time they meet in the middle . . . so that still sets the 'middle' at somewhere between 120 and 125, to me.

@etremoi53: so much yes. i'm sayin' do it! do the weights! aside from the fact that it did seem to kick my metabolism in the butt and get it moving again . . . do you have any idea how awesome it would be to be able to benchpress your own grandkids if you ever have any?
  • freckles2002
    freckles2002 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi all, im 46 years old and am in the best shape ever. Im 5ft7 and weigh 118 pounds. It is harder as Ive got older but very doable if you are disccipilined with your eating and workouts. I also work full time and am a single mum. We can do this ladies!!
  • sybilmaybe
    sybilmaybe Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    PhotosfromBeforeandAfter_zps7c78b349.jpg
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!