Older women success stories please!

Options

Replies

• Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Don't throw in the towel. It is possible to lose wt. and look younger. I am 49 and I don't think that I look that age anymore and people have told me that I look so much better. I have more energy than I used to and feel much better. I am unable to do much exercise due to becoming physically disabled, so I've lost of my wt. through diet. Please feel free to add me for support and motivation.
  • barky586
    Options
    You can do it. I did. Today makes the 2nd day of my 19th month. I am 46. Down from 307 to my current 118...no surgeries, but a buttload (lol) of weights and cardio. If I can do it, anyone can....unless there are health challenges perhaps.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I turned 61 on 9/30/12. I signed up on MFP in February 2012, but have been active, daily, since 3/12/12.
    Yes, it can be done. It is as easy (and hard) as calories in, calories out. It does take desire, commitment and a lot of determination, but, "if I can do it, anyone can".
    You can teach an old dog new tricks, and I am continuing to learn.
  • BarbaraC47
    BarbaraC47 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I started my journey way back in February and have lost 55lbs to far. I'll be 65 in a couple of weeks - does this count as a success story??

Remember: NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SURRENDER!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 and still working towards my goal weight - and I started in March 2009. So I'm success in progress :)

I think it is harder to get the weight off, but possibly not harder to maintain it. Though my experience includes a really long plateau (2.5 years) but I 'm not giving up.

There's no reason to throw in the towel. i'm the fittest and healthiest I've been in my life. So I am still a few pounds overweight - I'd rather have it be like this than do this in an unhealthy way or gain the weight back (I've already done both of those in my life).
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I do. I went from a US size 14 jean on 12/31/11 to a size 6 jean this year. I lost 43 pounds. I am now 54 years old and am enjoying life more than I ever have. No matter what!

Look, everyone is told that as women age we get fat - to me, I put on excess pounds because I ate too much and didn't stay as active physically as I should or monitor my sleep patterns enough. We all need to monitor our health and as we age, we need to be aware of the daily discipline of caring for our health just as we should brush our teeth!

The book that shatters all the pre, during and post Menopause Fact vs Fiction is "The Menopause Makeover". I have it on my kindle ap on my iPad and refer back to it frequently.

My new inspiration book is "Ballet Beautiful".
  • Susanthecatwhisperer
    Options
    I'm 41, and have lost 30 pounds, since May. (15 more to my goal) :happy:
    My neighbor noticed, but no one else. I wear scrubs or jeans & a sweatshirt, so nothing to really show off anything. I don't know how much better I LOOK, but I certainly FEEL better! :tongue:
    It's WAY easier to put weight on than to take it off.
    Feel free to add me as a friend. We can help keep each other on track and motivated. :flowerforyou:
  • tsjourney
    tsjourney Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! I am about to be 50 and have been doing MFP for a year now and so far have lost 46 lbs! It is a slow process for me only because I have been doing it slowly. Am at the stage now where I can finally see in my mind where the exercise/weight lifting would benefit me greatly with the flab/skin stuff! You can do it!! Who knows what we are going to look like when we have finally "finished", but I know that I will be healthier and look a lot better than I did with 100+ lbs extra on me! People are already noticing and saying how great I look, my attitude has changed and my confidence is coming back. There are so many benefits to keep going, just reading all these success stories has motivated me this morning :-). Feel free to friend me if you would like!
  • debi_f
    debi_f Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and have lost almost 75 pounds since February just by cleaning up and eating and taking up more cardio exercise. I went from an EU size 42 to a 34 (I believe the US equivalents are a 12 to a 6 (ish)). It can be done!

You can do it!
  • mjrn1221
    Options
    I will be 42 next month (yikes!!! LOL) , I have lost 51 pounds since July. Still have about 80 pounds to lose but I can tell you that I already feel so much better!!! It was a struggle in the beginning, I can remember the first time I went out to walk and I got 1 mile in and thought I would collapse. Today I walk at least 5 miles/5 times a week and I am also starting Turbo Fit (the prep class right now) daily. This last week I bought clothes that were 4 sizes down from where I began, I literally cried tears of joy in the dressing room!!!! I wore my new jeans last night and I got so many compliments, felt so good to not be ashamed of how I look!!!
    You can do it, it does take more time than when I was younger. Just remember the time is going to pass no matter what you do, you might as well chose healthy!
    I sent you a friend request, I need more fabulous 40 friends since I have many of the youngsters and they are loosing weight like wildfire!!! LOL Good luck!
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    just a few months away from 42 here and going strong on my journey to undo years and years of neglect. I have never felt better and have enough energy now to keep up with my 2 and 5 year old. I haven't quite hit a hundred pounds lost but I'm on my way and once I reach my initial goal I may aim to take off another 10-15. I don't think you are ever to old to take better care of yourself but I do understand that it's harder. I'm not menopausal yet but my minimum calorie intake is definitely adjusted for age.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    My story: I'm a 58 year old woman who has had two knee replacements. During my first knee replacement they broke my leg and caused me to endure additional surgeries. That really slowed me down and even more weight started piling on. That started in 2005 and my knee/leg was more painful than ever before. Then January 2011 I had my second knee replacement and all went well with that, but by the summer I was having horrible back pain which was bulging disc.

I was given the option of back surgery, gastric bypass surgery, a pain management clinic or lose weight. As far as I was concerned I had no desire for any more surgeries and I didnt want to be on pain killers the rest of my life, so I chose to see a dietician and try to lose the weight on my own.

So my new life started on October 20, 2011. Honestly I figured I woudnt last two weeks. I joined MFP the same day. Luckily I made some amazing friends right away, that inspired and motivated me. I joined the YMCA and the only exercising I was allowed to do by my doctor was water aerobics, which was great because I am a water lover. My dietician set my daily calories and all my macro percentages.

Fast forward now to today and I have lost 114 pounds and have 31 pounds left to go. I was wearing 26W when I started, I now wear Medium tops and size 12 pants and dresses.

So I guess my message is, Yes You Can lose weight regardless of age. Of course everyone is different and may lose at a different pace.
  • FitzyFitzpatrick
    FitzyFitzpatrick Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    OK. Here it is.

I am 55 and have already gone thru menopause. Pffft! To the notion of difficult weight loss.

I'll never, ever, look like a 40yo again, but that's not what I'm here for. I'm here to regain control of myself, in a healthy and intelligent manner. Accepting who I am today is part of the process. (And some days I "get it", and some days I don't. The number of "get it" days" are increasing tenfold.)

No, the skin under my chin will ever be tight again (says my dermo), and my batwings will forever wave to some degree. I am very happy, very healthy and have the unconditional love of my husband. It's all good.

We've made the "lifestyle" change, that's what it was all about for us.

The time is NOW.
  • 19veronica
    19veronica Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Am I the only Pensioner on here , your all still spring chickens lol. I am 61 and put the weight on since I retired in June
    I have lost 9lb in 7 weeks. I go to Rosemary Conley class every Monday and that's when I get weighed . I dont own any scales
    which is a good job for me as I would be jumping on them every day. I am new to this site only joined last week. Nice to see your
    posts. :)
  • waistfinder
    waistfinder Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and although I've lost and gained most of my life, I find now is easier to focus on myself and get fit. I have less distractions, my life is more stable, I have so much wisdom from past experiences, and can spend more time on myself. I have heard that skin will bounce back, but I don't expect it. A little extra fat kept my wrinkles at bay by plumping them out. I will accept them because I don't believe expensive wrinkle cream is worth it. What's astounding me is my big firm muscles that are being revealed as my fat disminishes...I've been strength training for almost a year, but only got serious again with healthy eating in the past few months. I can FEEL and SEE muscles that I never knew were in there until I woke them up! It feels sexy inside to be strong.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Tanks for this thread...it reminds me that I do have it in me
  • ggrushing
    ggrushing Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am 59. I must be the oldest one here! Today is my first day on myfitnesspal. Failure is not an option.

I don't have a success story yet, but I can reinforce why you must never throw in the towel. Diabetes, cancer, high blood pressure and high cholesterol are just some of the life threatening diseases that lurk for the opportune moment to attack. I am speaking from experience. Think about the health risk involved in maintaining excess weight.
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Guess I'm the old one on here cause I'm the big 60. I started at 210 lbs and I am about 20 lbs from goal. To be honest I wished I would of done it alot earlier in my life. The health benefits are so worth the effort. Hang in there.
  • bikhi
    bikhi Posts: 175
    Options
    56 here and was guessed at 37 yesterday. i've lost 69 pounds total.
  • keepersmom8
    Options
    I'm 52 and have lost almost 55 pounds since the beginning of April this year. I have made changes to my diet, not simply for weight loss, but for my overall health. I am working out more, and harder, than I ever have in my life. I'm almost at the weight that I had originally set for my goal, but I know that I can do so much better. I certainly can be done.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!