Older women success stories please!

Options

Replies

• just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 and my original goal when I started in May 2012 was 30lbs, but I can't top this:

@wimeezer you ARE a success... so inspiring!
    I'm 52 and on my way to being a success. I've lost 78 lbs since May 2012 and have about 200 more to lose. Started water aerobics and lifting two weeks ago, 5-6x a week, 60 min each. I'm 5´ 10“.

I've been very overweight all my life; i have no experience of life at a normal weight.

Looking forward to having that experience. Nothing will stop me :)
  • MarincicS
    MarincicS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm 49, soon to be 50. I started with a personal trainer in December last year, but did not start managing food or losing weight until February. Since then, i've lost 69 pounds, not quite half way there. I have slowed down in the past 2 months - work related travel has resulted in a bit of lost focus - but i am still going just more slowly.

I have noticed a million little and a few big things that have made this journey awesome so far. I am obsessed with my collarbones, for example! :-) Oh, and defined biceps. Awesome.

I think my face looks a bit older, but so much about my body, my energy, my overall health and the way people see me is so much improved that it is absolutely worth it and i will keep plugging away - even if i have slow-downs and it takes me 3 years to reach my goal.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    YIKES! I am 60!
    I wanted to be down 100 pounds by my 59
    birthday. I made it now for the past year
    I am just trying to stay on target.
    My start weight was 264 pounds
    my weight today is 116.
    I NEVER want to be fat again. I never dreamed I would feel so good getting all
    that weight off.
    It is worth it!
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I started my journey at almost 49 years old and 232.8 pounds...I am now 50 years old 5'5" and I am 113 pounds...it can be done. You just have to really want it...enough to change your eating habits. I have totally changed....I used to eat out all the time. I ate what ever I wanted. I drank lots of diet Coke which just made me crave more sugar.

Now I chose to pass on all junk foods...I very rarely eat out anywhere....I cook at home always! I don't drink diet soda, it just makes me want sweets. I don't eat processed, or premade foods. I eat lots of Veggies, lean meats, and apples, & berries mainly.

I walk everyday!

Just remember nothing tastes as good as having the weight come off!!
  • ShellyShuey
    Options
    I'm 44 and I've lost 31 pounds/kept it off 3 months and counting
  • rooster70460
    rooster70460 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    45 yo single mom here.. finding it hard to lose the weight too. I have lost 12 lbs on here and about 45ish before on WW. Would love to add older women to my list too.

DO NOT GIVE UP...FAILURE is NOT an optinion!!!

Colette
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    hi. I'm 45 and not done yet, but I've been doing well. I find that I need to keep my calories fairly low to lose, but it does happen.
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    44 here. Exercise more than diet will help keep you feeling young & strong. What towel?
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    You can do this! Strength training has really made a difference for me.
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    It is totally achievable! I'm 49 and over the last year I've dropped about 45 lbs and am in the best shape of my life! There are before after pics in my profile :smile: I've just eaten healthier and made exercise (Jillian Michaels DVDs) part of my routine. I'm currently maintaining and eating around 2200 cals a day - totally sustainable! You can do this!
  • Tucsonwoman
    Tucsonwoman Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! I'll be 52 on Tuesday and am also post menopausal; I've lost almost 50lbs since April 28th, 2012. I hit a plataue every few weeks or so and it gets discouraging but I won't give up. I tell myself I'm just changing on the inside that week.! Try changing your workout routine and see if that helps. And don't worry about looking "45"! I have been told numerous times that I don't look 50+. I actually look much younger since my weight loss and I'm sure you will too!! Hang in there!!
  • janbez
    janbez Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 years old. I'm down 23 pounds since mid August. It takes a little more focus than it did when I was younger, but it feels more stable because of motivation. It is all about health now, not looking cute for a special day.
  • VogtAndrea
    Options
    I'm 57. The pounds I've lost since starting MFP are only 1/3 of the weight I've lost since February 2012. Over 60 pounds total so far. There's a long road ahead of me and I know that it's only going to go through very hard work.
    I swim, do aquafit, walk on the weekends, and keep busy as much as I can.
    Don't give up. It's harder now than when you were a kid but you can do it.
  • Michellerawrrr
    Michellerawrrr Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to get intimidated by all the 20 something people who lose 100 lbs and look AMAZING!! I'm afraid that when I lose my 60 lbs, I'm still going to look like an "eh" 45 year old. I also have heard that it's so much harder to lose weight post-menopause. Should I just throw in the towel now?:ohwell:

As you can see there are plenty of women on this site that are way over the age of 20. I'm 40 years old and I'm damn proud of it!! Trust me determination and having a positive attitude matter much more! You can do this if you really want it! Best advice I can offer you is to start lifting weights!! You will find tons of inspiring stories and amazing support on this site. My before/after pic's are in my profile, I'm living proof this can be done! Cheers to you and cheers to all the awesome posters in this thread!! Rawrrr :drinker:
  • babycakes1970
    babycakes1970 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am 42 and have been working on losing weight for more than two years now. So far I have lost seventy pounds and counting. I still have about 26 more pounds to go.
  • rusang
    Options
    I think the "youngins" are just more vocal than us "oldies"...

Age is just a number!
  • SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm here! 49 and within single figures of lbs to go to reach my target. Some of stories here are so inspirational. Well done to all older MFPs, do add me as a friend if you are doing this the sensible way, eating enough and avoiding fads :flowerforyou:

PS, please excuse the messy bedroom and lack of hair / makeup in my profile pic; I was after advice from my MFP's about a potential outfit to wear at a belly dance performance next month :blushing:
  • oceanblue67
    oceanblue67 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm here 45 years old.. I just started and for years I have gained and lost the same 10 pounds.. I was also wondering were are all the ladies my age.. Good see so many here.. please feel free to add me as a friend.. :smile:
  • genevieve66
    Options
    Keep your chin up! I am 46 and teach Preschool & this summer decided that I am tired of being so tired all of the time & having trouble getting down on the floor. Plus I went to the doctor & really needed to work on some of my blood levels & just get healthy! I decided that was it & with the help of some great & encouraging ladies; also my cousins, I have continued to lose not only pounds, but inches. When I get frustrated, my cousin reminds me it is not only the number on the scale, but the inches AND how much better I feel!. So True! I still have a long way to go, but feel so much better. I have been doing MFP since June & feel much better! I think logging all of your food is going to really help. I was amazed how much I was eating before MFP & how much less I eat now!
    You will do great! Feel free to friend me if you would like!
  • dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    DO NOT throw in the towel. You can lose the weight, you just may have to work at it..... I am 56 and I lost a total 25 pounds. I am now "around" my goal. So it is possible. And when the doctor scares you with all the health problems that you may have, it's a bit easier. I am now no longer pre- diabetic, have high blood pressure and my cholestrol is in the good range..... So it may take you longer --or shorter-- time to achieve you goal but it definitely worth it!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!