Older women success stories please!

Options

Replies

• Riley4ever
    Riley4ever Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I'm 45yrs, 5ft 9".
    See my profile pics for before (@ 233lbs / 16 stone 9lbs / Size 20+) and after (@162lbs / 11stone 8lbs / UK 12-14).
    Took me about 9 months (with a long break over xmas!) to lose 70lbs.
    I just stuck to MFP calorie tracking and walked my dog 2hrs a day. Wish I had done more toning along the way as I do have a bit of loose skin, nothing terrible but it's amazing what you can beat yourself up about!

Good Luck!
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Im a fresh 48 lol and have lost 16 lbs in 2 mths, these numbers work for me. I still have 12 lbs to lose, my challenge is to lose it by the the new year 2013. Its inspiring to read that accomplishment the ladies have made on this thread, thanks for getting this out there . Your hard work and determination i don't have to tell you, "you can do this"

Cheers:drinker:
  • amydee714
    amydee714 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 and feel better today than I ever have! I am not done with my weight loss, but I consider myself to be a success. I know that I will never go back to the way I was before. This is my new life and I love it!
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I'll just add-I wish I had been able to do this when in my 40's--you gals are still young. Do it now, it gets even harder in your 60's but not impossible.(I'm 66). For many of us in our 60's exercise is pretty limited due to joint problems or other health issues. I understand about the 20 yr olds losing so easily, in fact I removed all of my friends on here that were under 40 for that reason--couldn't relate to them. Don't give up, even when not losing you are improving your health by eating properly and getting what exercise you can.
  • cattraxs
    cattraxs Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    59 yo here. Have lost 53 pounds since January. Everyone tells me I look much younger since my weight loss (can see it in my face). I do know that I feel a heck of lot better since the pounds are gone and my knees and joints are singing the hallelujah chorus. Determined to stay within my goal weight but finding it much more difficult to maintain than to outright lose. Good luck to you on your weight loss course - stay focused and you will begin to see a different "you" in the mirror. :flowerforyou:
  • ohmariposa
    ohmariposa Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I am 42...and I feel fabulous!
    Better than I ever did in my thirties....
    here is fat me and new me
    fat2008.jpg
    espe.jpg
    nuevohai.jpg
    bonitome.jpg
  • larnsperger
    larnsperger Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 and since June 6, 2012 I have lost 35 lbs. through logging every bite of food and working out. I started out walking and a couple of months ago a friend and I hired a trainer two days per week, who kicks our butts. It is possible, and your body reacts so quickly to working out. It has amazed me how quickly my body has changed, how much more strength and stamina I have gained since being with a trainer. Hang in there and stick with it!

Hopefully these pictures will post I have never posted pics :/

IMG_5557.jpg

p1233246422-3.jpg
  • appyspirit
    appyspirit Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I will be 52 next week. Maybe I'm odd, but I have found it easier to lose weight at this age than when I was younger. Don't give up!
  • amydee714
    amydee714 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I understand about the 20 yr olds losing so easily, in fact I removed all of my friends on here that were under 40 for that reason--couldn't relate to them. Don't give up, even when not losing you are improving your health by eating properly and getting what exercise you can.

I understand about not being able to relate to people younger than you (I work in an office with people who are mostly younger than me), but it really isnt fair to make a comment about people in their 20 "losing weight so easily". My daughter's are 19 and 20 and are having a much harder time losing than I am. I have people of both genders, all ages and in all stages of their weight loss as my MFP friends because there is always something that we can learn from everyone.

I wouldn't want to be stereotyped because of my age, let's not do that to the "youngsters" either. :flowerforyou:
  • hikerwoman1957
    hikerwoman1957 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Don't throw in the towel. If you do in ten years you will need to lose 80 instead of 60 and you'll be wishing you looked 45. Mature women are beautiful women. You've earned the right to be proud of who you are. I'd rather be a beautiful mature woman any day than a twenty something wannabe. We've got a lot more going on for us than these young mixed up girls who have no idea where their lives are going yet. I'm loving my mid-life!
  • AnnieFJ
    AnnieFJ Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I lost 42lbs last year and have kept it off using MFP.
    I ran my first half marathon in October!
    I now buy size 10 (UK) clothes - which I still find amazing.
    Its VERY worth it, dont give up, you will feel great after you have lost weight and you know what they say-You are as old as you feel!

(NB My ticker says 29lbs lost - thats because I lost some weight before starting on MFP!)
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 years young, if you are interested I wrote out my story in August 2012

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/685310-from-oct-2011-to-now-and-beyond
  • smilingalltheway
    smilingalltheway Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 and I've been a member of MFP since April I have lost 66 pounds and I'm in better shape then in my 30's. I exercise 5 times weekly I enjoy weight training more than cardio so that is how I spend most of exercise time. I eat around 1200 to 1350 calories a day I try to eat over 100 grams of protein daily, it keeps me feeling fuller longer. I don't eat much bread, pasta products made from wheat they seem to make my cravings stronger. I eat lots of fruits and vegatables. I don't think my age has hurt my progress at all, as I'm having more success now than when I was younger. You can do this just stick with it and keep adjusting until you find what works for you. Best of luck.
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 and started MFP on 02/24/12. I have lost 80 pounds in that time. I also went from barely being able to walk, due to arthritis and sever asthma, to climbing mountains and hiking all over the beautiful PNW! I can't say it was easy, but it was so much easier than I thought it would be. I'm still a work in progress, having about 30ish more pounds that I want to lose.

You can read more details on my Profile page, if you're interested. Good luck! You can do anything you want to do!
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I am 50 and have lost 144 pounds. It took a while but it is a do-able thing! Hang in there! It can be done! :drinker:
  • Louiseisme
    Options
    Hang in there, don't throw that towel yet. I am 5'1.5" and will soon be 43 yo, I have been losing since Febuary 2012 and I am a little over half way to my goal. It does seem to come off slower at this age or it may be because it has been almost 15 years since I have truly tried to lose weight. I have friends who are all younger than me, some are 15 years younger, and we are all trying to lose and we encourage each other, I think as a slightly older woman I have more deterimination than some of the younger groups. Keep at it and you will be excited about the compliments and NSV along the way. Almost every week there is another NSV that motivates me to keep working hard at it. I agree with the pictures I take them every 3 months and looking back at when I started and then where I am now..I ROCK, if I say so myself. I exercise just about everyday in some fashion or another walking at least 3 miles, exercise biking 30+ minutes, Cardio/weight Circut at the Gym, eliptical or just plain mowing the yard. Just get moving and stay moving. Stay strong and keep at it.
    Feel free to friend me if you would like
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    No way should you throw in the towel! I have just turned 40 and have never felt or looked better my whole life!
  • lose4good1
    lose4good1 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    No I am 48 and I refuse to ever through in the towel. You have lost 14 so far keep it up it will come off
  • 70x50
    70x50 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am 49 and need to lose about 70 pounds. The key for me is having a healthy retirement and enjoying and being around for my family, travelling, being mobile, hiking, biking, swimming and camping. I have to keep up! So, I just can't give up. I am starting my weight loss journey again with these goals in mind despite the fact I lost my weight when I turned 40 and gained it back. Don't give up!
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and on my way to being a success. I've lost 78 lbs since May 2012 and have about 200 more to lose. Started water aerobics and lifting two weeks ago, 5-6x a week, 60 min each. I'm 5´ 10“.

I've been very overweight all my life; i have no experience of life at a normal weight.

Looking forward to having that experience. Nothing will stop me :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!