Older women success stories please!

Options

Replies

• shygur
    shygur Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am 58 and have been working on this for 10 months and dropped 101 lbs. I still have a long way to go but I am not dieting but making a permanent lifestyle change. Not sure how I will look when it is all said and done since I know I will have sagging skin since I have been heavy since a chiild but I am still doing it. I feel so much better now.

Rebecca
  • nursemomruns
    nursemomruns Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Did you do strength training in your earlier years, or is this something that you started recently? Also, how long did it take you to see a difference? I don't mean on the scale, I mean in appearance? I ask because I am in the throes of menopause and used to be thin (most of my life). I'd like to try bodybuidling, but I'm worried I'm just too old. Thanks!
  • nursemomruns
    nursemomruns Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am here! I am hoping to be a success story. I have gained 35 pounds in the last 2.5 years. I used to be very active, but just got too busy and then too tired. I also ate way too much of the wrong foods. I am 50 years old and it is much harder to keep the weight off. I am having a hard time accepting that I can't eat like I used to in my 30s! Or even my 40s!! You ladies are so inspirational!
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP last fall but "fell off the wagon" and didn't rejoin(if you will) until after my 49th birthday last April. I decided then and there that I would reach my 50th birthday at my goal weight or damn close! Now that I am only 28 LBS from my goal, whenever I feel like it isn't coming off fast enough, I look at all the success stories and get re-inspired! You can do this. Don't listen to any of the nay-sayers. I have tried many times before to lose weight and have even succeeded to some extent only to regain it all back and then some. I truly think that the difference this times comes from really wanting this. Therefore, it is not a diet but, a lifestyle choice. Because of a changed mindset, I am actually finding it so much easier this time. I have my weak moments to be sure but, I will make it this time!
  • dcglobalgirl
    dcglobalgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    wow, so, so many inspiring stories here!!! I want to friend all of you!! Again, you really are amazing women and my role models!! I think i will keep coming back to this thread to see that it can really be done.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    :heart: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :love: :heart: You guys ROCK--BUMP!
  • DontWeightStartNow
    Options
    I'm 49 and since 2008 have lost 43 lbs. I just started on MFP in October of this year and my goal is to finally lose another 70+ lbs. and to have the best body I've ever had. I know it's possible, because I've seen it time and time again on here and not just 20 and 30 yo's. There are many many women on here that have inspired me from their "before" and "after" pics that are 40's, 50's 60's and then some!! So I know it's possible, and GOSH DARNIT!!! I'M GONNA BE ONE OF THEM TOO!!!

Cardio at least 30 minutes at the very least 4 times a week will help melt the fat, and I highly recommend weightlifting (as heavy as you can) because that will build muscle that will support your bones and make you tone.

Good luck, friend request me and anyone else too, I have lotsa MFP pals my age on here travelling the same road!!!
  • OldDog_NewTricks
    OldDog_NewTricks Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 (52 next month) and I have now been on MFP for a year. I've taken off 28 lbs and 8 inches from my waist and most days I eat around 1700-2100 calories (even while I was losing). I've been maintaining since April - so it definitely can be done.

I cut out sugary foods, eat healthily and make sure I do exercise every day so that I burn more than I eat.

One of the best books I've read this year is aimed at menopausal women. It's called 'Younger next year, for women'. You can buy it for a few pounds or dollars. It explains all about how your body works and why exercise must be a key part of your lifestyle. The writing style of one of the authors can be a bit 'schmaltzy' in places but the message is absolutely great. It completely changed my entire way of thinking. For years I saw exercise as 'chore' and now I realise that it's a gift to myself if I want to stay healthy into my old age. I'd really recommend it, and I'll bet anything that your thinking about your future and how healthy you want to be (and can be)in your old age will change.

EXCELLENT BOOK AND EXCELLENT ADVICE!
  • dena789
    dena789 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I found MFP on the 13th of June this year. I really didn't think I was eating "that" much and to prove it to myself, I entered in the foods that I had eaten that day. Boy, was I wrong. The very next day I started using MFP as a monitor for what I ate daily. Since then, I have dropped 45 pounds! For whatever reason, I'm finding it easier losing this weight now than I have ever before. I've tried a number of different weight loss programs and nothing has ever worked as well as tracking here on MFP. Oh, and I'm 60! I've been told that I look better now than I have in 30 years and I feel better about myself too!

I did not do much exercise for the first 3 months or so. My mobility was an issue since I have had both hips replaced and, at my heavier weight, it was much more difficult to do much walking. When I hit the 40# lost mark, I decided to try walking on a treadmill and found I was able to walk much more easily and long enough and fast enough to break a sweat. Stairs and steps had become so much easier too. Just yesterday, I got on my daughter's Gazelle crosstrainer and was able to manage that! I still need to be very careful with my arms - I broke both arms in a car accident in April and have just had a third surgery on my right arm as the bone wasn't healing. Lifting of any kind or anything to do with weight on my arms will still need to wait for a while.

I still have a ways to go but I am more hopeful now than I have ever been that I can get there. I track my food and water honestly every day. I don't take time off from it because, to me, that would be like cheating myself. I deserve to be slim again. If I crave something, I fit it into my day. I eat all the foods that I always have but I control the amounts. I know I can't restrict myself to diet shakes etc. and then hope to be successful when I stop doing them. We have family meals and everyone eats the same things. I just make sure I weigh and measure my portions out so I know what I'm eating. I have had days where I go way over my daily allowance but I still enter everything and try to balance it out with the rest of the week. I really like the weekly summary that I get on my iPod for total calories. It's a good visual tool as are the pie charts there too. I use my iPod a lot to input my foods through the day and then use my laptop in the evening to check specific nutrient values and to read the community posts.

I already feel like I am successful and I intend to continue to be in the future!
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I just turned 56, and I've lost 20 lbs so far. Do I look older for it - heck no. Is it harder now - you bet. I'd show my before and after pics, but there aren't any before pics. I was too embarrassed. I'd like to lose 10 more lbs, but mainly I want to be healthy.
  • rubyjune27
    rubyjune27 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am 50 and have lost 45 lbs since January. Although it may be harder to lose weight due to metabolism, I am more disciplined and more patient than when I was 20. Also more forgiving whe I slip up. Now a bad couple of days are a mistake which I can overcome, not something to derail me altogether.

The women on this post are evidence that weight loss and fitness is achievable post 40. But, like most things in life, you get back what you put in. Californiagirl for example has the body most 20 year olds can only dream off at 52, but she hasn't 't got that body through dreaming and wishing, but because of portion control and appropriate exercise.
  • noriri
    noriri Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone's response to this article. I joined MFP 76 days ago, and have lost 25 lbs. My initial goal was to get down to 150lbs, and that still is my goal but ultimately I would like to get down to 125. I am demonstrating a determined effort, and the results are a testimony of that. It is truly inspiring to read about everyone's journey to better health and fitness and I only hope to be the same source of encouragement to others just like "us". Anyone wanting to add me as a pal is more than welcome. We NEED sustained support! You can do this, and you're not alone. Better health to all!
  • bandedsandi
    bandedsandi Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm hitting the BIG 5. 0. next year and want to look as good as I possibly can for that momentous occasion! :flowerforyou:

Haven't been on here for long, but have lost 20 lbs so far and very pleased with myself! A work in progress...

I am so inspired by the other posts that I've read so far - us 'older' ladies ROCK! Keep it up!
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    OK...my avatar pic is me about a week ago - I am 44 and nearing my goal weight. We more mature ladies rock!
  • ElleBee66
    ElleBee66 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I am 46 (yesterday - Happy Birthday me!) and have lost over 70 lbs so it can be done. I am not finished yet - have another 20lbs to go but I am stuck at the moment but as long as I am not gaining then it is all good as far as I am concerened.

You can do it!
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    my mom has lost almost 50 lbs in under 5 mos. from 245 to 197. she is 68 yrs old
  • 46Phil
    46Phil Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    At the beginning of my journey--y'all give me hope for success at the age of 54.:smile:
  • traceygl1967
    traceygl1967 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am 45 not a success story yet but I am trying lol. Weight is coming off really slowly even though i am working really hard at it.
    We will get there in the end
  • Salkeela
    Salkeela Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Age 49 here. Lost 21lb before MFP from heaviest (in June 2011) and everything after that is using MFP - which is a fantastic tool. Tracking what I eat and making sensible choices just got so much easier.

Great to hear so many other stories.... :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!