Rant: You look just like her!

Options

Replies

• chnkydnknmomma
    Options
    It wasn't necessarily an insult. Adele is beautiful, she just happens to be a bigger girl.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    You're assuming the lady was telling the stylist she looked like Adele because she was overweight? That's awfully presumptuous of you.

Furthermore, it sounds like it was a compliment, and fat people deserve compliments too... even if it may acknowledge their body in one way or another.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    That reminds me once I grabbed a magazine with a cover of Katy Perry on it. I flipped to find the article and it kept referring to her as Zooey Deschanel and I was all confused, it finally it dawned on me Zooey looks just like Katy! The interviewer even asked Zooey if she thinks she looks like Katy and she said she doesn't see it. Well it's plain as day to me. So I think people often don't see what they look like.

http://antoniofarinha.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/katy-perry-zooey-deschanel.jpg

Adele is beautiful! (from the neck up) so it is a compliment
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I think I missed the point.
  • Jojo42
    Jojo42 Posts: 223
    Options
    I've been told Dawn French...I can live with that!
    I did laugh when the lady ( at the hair dressers) felt she needed to add oh but you're much taller and slimmer :)
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    For most ppl if you mention the "heavy set singer with an awesome voice" they'll know who you're talking about
    Mama Cass? Carnie Wilson? Bette Midler? Charlotte Church? Jennifer Hudson ? Chaka Khan?

Don't forget about Meat Loaf.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    For most ppl if you mention the "heavy set singer with an awesome voice" they'll know who you're talking about
    Mama Cass? Carnie Wilson? Bette Midler? Charlotte Church? Jennifer Hudson ? Chaka Khan?

Bette Midler isn't heavy set. At least she wasn't when she was younger. A little heavier now, but not fat.

And Jennifer Hudson is skinny.
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    And if there was REAL self acceptance of rolls, people wouldn't be trying to lose weight
    Not everyone that is trying to lose weight is doing it because of what anyone else thinks, Champ.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

Don't forget about Meat Loaf.

Carnie Wilson - gastric bypass
    Bette Midler is NOT Adele heavy
    Jennifer Hudson - Jenny Craig
    Charlotte Church - thick, once again NOT Adele heavy
    Meat loaf - while still a big guy, actively worked to lose weight as well

Chaka Khan - has been
    Mama Cass - most people in this generation don't know her except for the fact she choked on a chicken bone
  • butterflylady86
    butterflylady86 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Adele is amazing singer. Now a new Mom. She rocks it out of the park when she sings. Imagine being her baby. And having her sing you too sleep. That would be heavenly. Who cares if she happy with herself. Then leave the woman alone. Peace
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options

Bette Midler isn't heavy set. At least she wasn't when she was younger. A little heavier now, but not fat.

And Jennifer Hudson is skinny.

Chaka Khan's on her way to skinny too. She has lost a ton of weight recently.
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    Mama Cass - most people in this generation don't know her except for the fact she choked on a chicken bone
    That's not a "fact" at all.
  • BeingAwesome247
    Options
    And if there was REAL self acceptance of rolls, people wouldn't be trying to lose weight
    Not everyone that is trying to lose weight is doing it because of what anyone else thinks, Champ.

Self acceptance - if you didn't like yourself perfectly as you are overweight/obese or whatever you wouldn't be trying to lose weight b/c you'd be ok with it. I never said anything about what anyone else thinks. Most people are ON THEIR WAY to self acceptance
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

Not only do I KNOW Mama Cass but I could sing many of her most famous songs without needing a lyric sheet in front of me. The woman was amazing.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I was thinking maybe she was talking about her face. Adele is gorgeous.
    Talented? Yes. Gorgeous? No.

Especially not with that massive hair she's always rocking.
  • hugsee
    hugsee Posts: 36
    Options
    When kids at my school and later on when I was working and they were in full bullying mode they used to say that I looked like Benny Hill....yes I was plump but not huge and yes I am female....I was devestated

I adored Mama Cass....and Adele is amazing no matter what she looks like...who cares anyway with a voice like that
  • madworld1
    Options
    Yeah, I was thinking maybe she was talking about her face. Adele is gorgeous.
    Talented? Yes. Gorgeous? No.

Especially not with that massive hair she's always rocking.

As always, it's a matter of opinion ;)
  • BeingAwesome247
    Options
    Her voice is amazing - I will say that....own her cd and listen to it often actually but if she wasn't famous,.... how attractive would she really be to people? Ever notice how a lot of celebrities are more attractive simply b/c they're famous

Adele-with-and-without-makeup.jpg
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options

Self acceptance - if you didn't like yourself perfectly as you are overweight/obese or whatever you wouldn't be trying to lose weight b/c you'd be ok with it. I never said anything about what anyone else thinks. Most people are ON THEIR WAY to self acceptance

I think maybe you don't quite grasp the concept of self acceptance. Acceptance does not = lack of desire to be the best person you can be.