Is it possible to lose weight without much exercise?

Options
124»

Replies

• P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    As others have said you absolutely can lose weight without exercising but why wait until you reach your goal before toning up, when you have a great chance of preventing loose skin while your losing?

I've lost over 50lbs in the past few months and used to have ugly 'bingo wings', but with lots of boxing and kettlebells those are nearly gone and are being replaced with toned arms, if I hadn't done any exercise I would still have pretty horrible bingo wings, they'd just be thinner, not a great look.

I want to reach my goal toned and fit, not skinny fat :wink:
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    It is posible, but you might lose muscle mass so make sure you're eating enough protein in your diet. You can go for a walk for aerobic exercise, an hour per day would be ideal imho. For exercising your muscle mass (i don't want to say weight training in this particular case) you can do pilates. Both activities won't make you sweat much. I can relate to your feelings because i have psoriasis as well and on certain days my joints hurt, it's not just the skin flares.

Still, let me tell you not to have prejudices against your physical abilities, potential and even your likes and dislikes. I completely HATED exercising, in a 100%. I also used to HATE eating anything vegetable. After a year and a half, my body started loving both. It's all due to the endorphins the body releases by eating well and exercising I guess. Now the harder I work out, the better I feel. i don't get any muscle pain after exercising, unless i overdo it or choose to lift too much weight, so I really enjoy it. And my aerobic endurance is quite high.
    So do give exercise a try once you lost some weight. It does give you benefits and you can learn to love it or at least make it a habit.

Best of luck!

:)
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    u telling me i cant go below 1700cals?
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    All it takes to lose weight is a calorie deficit, so yes absolutely. It is possible to lose weight without exercise. When I was 23 I had major surgery and couldn't exercise. So I lost 60 lb by diet alone.

Exercise benefits in 2 ways. It allows you to eat a little more making diet failures less likely and keeps you satiated. It's also the only way to really shape your body the way you want. Plus it makes you healthier and stronger and can give you a stronger metabolism.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Losing weight makes you look good in clothes; losing weight and exercising (especially some form of strength training) makes you look good naked.
  • johnkarpf
    johnkarpf Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have lost all of my weight so far with no exercise at all.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I've hardly worked out and I've lost 42lbs eating 1650 calories per day.

Exercise is good, though. I'm trying to incorporate it in to my busy lifestyle but it's not necessary to lose weight.
  • mary659497
    mary659497 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    My experience is that I have to exercise to lose weight.
  • RavenBeauty87
    RavenBeauty87 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You have tons of answers but I wanna join in!!!! For my body I found that when I cut carbs (20-40) a day (which makes your calories low so you really don't have to count which is awesome) I don't have the energy to work out like crazy. I walk to and from work (just 20 minutes) and then just stay busy by cleaning house or things like that. I've had greater results that way then when I ate 1200 calories and worked out for an hour or more. When I get closer to my goal weight I'll do more strength training but right now I'm focused on getting fat off my body for my muscles to show.... I feel fine and it is actually the best I've ever felt.... You just have to find what works for your body and then you are ready to go! Best of luck girly :D