which is worse, fat or sugar?

Options
15678911»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Neither is "worse". The problem is OVER CONSUMPTION.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This always strikes me as a relatively pointless thing to say. Yes, they eat too much.

As an analogy:

A farmer finds a very fertile valley in between two mountains. Idyllic place, great soil, gentle creek, couple of miles away from a dam, in a nice area that gets good rainfall. First year he plants his crops, and the runoff from the snowcap at the top of the mountains causes the creek to grow in size. Turns out, there's a crack in the dam, too -- that combines with the raised creek and the water comes through and ravages his field. Second year, he figures that won't happen again, so he replants. Same thing happens, and he loses all his crops.

So he takes his problem to other farmers, and asks their opinion on what to do to fix his farm.

Some of them say, "hey, maybe you want to divert that creek so it isn't running through your land!"
    Others say, "hey, you should probably patch the crack in the dam, that's definitely a problem."

You're standing in the corner, repeating loudly, "you have too much water."

Correct, but not always helpful.
    I'll make it simpler to understand then. Calorie goal is 2000. Don't eat too much sugar or fat (along with other macros) and exceed it. Better?:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • Tanana66
    Tanana66 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Fat makes me happy, sugar makes me binge.
    You need to listen to your body and mute all the noise on this thread.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I like fat. It keeps my coat glossy....I mean it keeps me feeling full longer.
  • djrn144
    djrn144 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    One of the things I realized is that certain fruits are better for me than others and have good fiber in them too. The low glycemic fruits such as berries, apples are what I try to eat since I have to eat a low carb diet for my health. Fiber makes the difference with fruits as opposed to simple carbs such as cookies, etc. This seems to work for me hope it helps, I only count net carbs-- carbs minus the fiber.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I'll make it simpler to understand then. Calorie goal is 2000. Don't eat too much sugar or fat (along with other macros) and exceed it. Better?:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member

The problem wasn't that your point needed to be simplified. It's that it was simple enough to have no meaning.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

The problem wasn't that your point needed to be simplified. It's that it was simple enough to have no meaning.
    So my last response had enough meaning for those who need it to understand? Or is it still too complex?

IDEA Fitness member
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Don't waste time tracking your sugar. Track your fats.
  • dreambodin2011
    dreambodin2011 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    SUGAR is much WORSE than Fat

This! ^^^^^

Our bodies are not designed to digest and deal with the amount of sugar that is in our diets today. .... I avoid anything that is over 5g of sugar per 100g/serve.

Eat the real deal....avoid low fat foods which are often loaded up with sugar - avoid added sugars and adding sugar to cuppas... 1-2 pieces of fruit a day is enough......and your appetite control system will restore itself and re-balance (sugar interferes with our FULL triggers) and you will be much healthier for it.

Read :
    I Quit Sugar
    Sweet Deception
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Avoid anything that's more than 5g of sugar per 100g serving? So you avoid all fruit?

None of that is true.
  • dreambodin2011
    dreambodin2011 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    No I don't suggest you avoid all fruit - some are lower in sugar than others....what I said is that 1-2 servings of fruit a day is sufficient - and avoid processed/packaged items with sugar content above 5g per 100g/serving.

If -You - Want. Do some research. This is simply what I do - after reading a few good books on the topic.
  • snoople1
    snoople1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sugar is much worse.

Your body needs fat for brain function, cell renewal, and satiety. As long as the majority of fats that you're eating are the healthy ones :).

Your body doesn't need sugar for anything. Most of what you eat is converted into glucose, and sugar is already glucose, hence why it makes your blood sugar spike; your body doesn't need much energy to digest it.

Also, if you're prone to binges, healthy fats tends to help ward off the urge :)

I second this.
  • Lila90
    Lila90 Posts: 27
    Options
    I always balance out my fats & sugars in moderation.

I alternate between coconut sugar & coconut nectar for their natural low glycemic index & rich minerals/nutrients.

For healthy fats, i stick with avocados, chia seeds, flax oil, coconut oil, grapeseed oil, & homemade walnut butter.
  • bizarrefish
    bizarrefish Posts: 41 Member
    Options

This! ^^^^^

Our bodies are not designed to digest and deal with the amount of sugar that is in our diets today. .... I avoid anything that is over 5g of sugar per 100g/serve.

Eat the real deal....avoid low fat foods which are often loaded up with sugar - avoid added sugars and adding sugar to cuppas... 1-2 pieces of fruit a day is enough......and your appetite control system will restore itself and re-balance (sugar interferes with our FULL triggers) and you will be much healthier for it.

Read :
    I Quit Sugar
    Sweet Deception

I agree with these sentiments. Confusion seems to be arising from the difference between the glucose you need internally, and the sugar you need to eat. In dietary terms, sugar is optional. Simple sugars/carbohydrates will upset your insulin and have bad effects UNLESS you go and make use of it by doing exercise. Without the exercise, the sugar will get stored away as glycogen and fat. As long as your body has this, it doesn't really need to touch fat stores and weight loss will be modest. Your body can synthesize enough glucose to run your body from fat(mainly) and protein, hence why very-low-carb dieting works without killing you. In short, your body needs glucose, but it doesn't need you to eat it. I lost about 70lbs on a high carb diet, myself, while putting in lots and lots of exercise. I'm now on keto to try and positively effect my energy/mood, and I feel very healthy indeed.
    Seems to me that if you wanna lose weight and can't/won't exercise, you've gotta cut out carbs.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

This! ^^^^^

Read :
    I Quit Sugar
    Sweet Deception
    Actually we primarily evolved as frugivores, so your "our body's cant deal with that amount of sugar" is nonsense.
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options

What is glucose?

he is on fire!
  • bizarrefish
    bizarrefish Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    We can tolerate some amounts of sugar it's true, but that's not to say we can tolerate any amount.
    We didn't evolve with wheat or TV sets, either. I'm not going to complain that X is unnatural and processed and therefore evil, because that's basically dogma.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    in to read for later

:devil: