which is worse, fat or sugar?

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It all depends on the type of fat and sugar you are intaking. If you drink milk and eat a lot of fruit and veggies, MFP will still calculate the sugar which will probably put you over, but natural sugars are great for your body(of course still in moderation) but they are needed in your body. If it's sugar from junk food, and processed foods then that's not very healthy for your body.

Fat is essential for a healthy lifestyle. Obviously not 40g of fat from a McDonalds Big Mac, but healthy fats from Olive Oil, meats, milk, nuts, etc.

It's simple. Your body needs healthy fats and natural sugar.

And how exactly is "natural sugar" different from any other sugar? And how does the body recognize that the sugar is "natural"? And then how does the body process "natural sugar" differently?

If our bodies can't recognize the difference in sugars, wouldn't fiber be absorbed?

But it's not all about natural vs. unnatural. The 'package' the sugar comes with is the biggest difference in how the sugar is processed. Whether it's raw honey or processed white table sugar, if eaten alone your body will have similar reactions. But the same amout of sugar comsumed from an apple dipped in peanut butter will have a different reaction.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    No food is inherently good or bad until you take in account the context of the situation.

Really?? Ya think?? :drinker:
  • mmapags
    Options
    It all depends on the type of fat and sugar you are intaking. If you drink milk and eat a lot of fruit and veggies, MFP will still calculate the sugar which will probably put you over, but natural sugars are great for your body(of course still in moderation) but they are needed in your body. If it's sugar from junk food, and processed foods then that's not very healthy for your body.

Fat is essential for a healthy lifestyle. Obviously not 40g of fat from a McDonalds Big Mac, but healthy fats from Olive Oil, meats, milk, nuts, etc.

And how exactly is "natural sugar" different from any other sugar? And how does the body recognize that the sugar is "natural"? And then how does the body process "natural sugar" differently?

If our bodies can't recognize the difference in sugars, wouldn't fiber be absorbed?

But it's not all about natural vs. unnatural. The 'package' the sugar comes with is the biggest difference in how the sugar is processed. Whether it's raw honey or processed white table sugar, if eaten alone your body will have similar reactions. But the same amout of sugar comsumed from an apple dipped in peanut butter will have a different reaction.

Please do expand on this with proof sources please. How does the package the sugar comes in cause the body to recognize it and process it differently?
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Well, just my two cents. I do eat a greek yogurt that is very high in sugar but after reading the ingredients, it looks like some of the sugar can come from the fruit on the bottom. Probably not all but some is better than none. The yogurt is high in protein and possiby a little high in carbs but I LOVE IT and it's filling! I tried to eat a no sugar snack yesterday and I was crabby/groggy the rest of the day.

I think no sugar = angry people. lol. j/k

To answer the question, I'm not a nutritionist, a doctor, or a health guru but I've HEARD that fat is used for energy and sugar turns to fat. If sugar turns to fat and fat turns into energy then what are the really saying? They're both fine in moderation with diet and exercise. BUT I would opt for lower sugar because I love meat too much. lol
  • bcattoes
    Options

Please do expand on this with proof sources please. How does the package the sugar comes in cause the body to recognize it and process it differently?

Sugar eaten with fiber, fat or protein will digest more slowly causing a slower release of sugar to the bloodstream and less of a "sugar rush".
  • mmapags
    Options

Sugar eaten with fiber, fat or protein will digest more slowly causing a slower release of sugar to the bloodstream and less of a "sugar rush".

And that has what to do with how the body recognizes "natural sugar"? And what would the difference be if processed sugar is eaten together with a source of fiber, like say, processed sugar consumed with oatmeal, milk and apple?
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Sugar is worse! Fat is one of the 3 basic macros your body needs to function. Carbs and sugar are not the same thing in my head. When I think of carbs, I think of veggies and more complex stuff.
  • bcattoes
    Options

And that has what to do with how the body recognizes "natural sugar"? And what would the difference be if processed sugar is eaten together with a source of fiber, like say, processed sugar consumed with oatmeal, milk and apple?

Nothing at all to do with natural vs. unnatural sources, as I said in the post you responded to asking me to explain how the package works. So that's what I did. I explained how the package works.
  • mmapags
    Options

Nothing at all to do with natural vs. unnatural sources, as I said in the post you responded to asking me to explain how the package works. So that's what I did. I explained how the package works.

So, once fiber is partitioned off from "natural sugar", the natural sugar is different from processed sugar how?

(edited to reduce quotes)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Sugar is the killer. Ask anyone who advocates eating clean. That is the first thing that has to go!

I'm so tired of hearing the words "eating clean" wtf does it really mean?
    Believing some foods are mystically bad for you. Like fruit, and all the horrid, evil sugars they contain. Let's ignore the fact our ancestral diet was frugivorous.
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't need sugar for anything. Most of what you eat is converted into glucose, and sugar is already glucose, hence why it makes your blood sugar spike; your body doesn't need much energy to digest it.

Just like to point out, you DO need glucose, only 10-20g per day, for some vital organ (including brain) function. Other than that, it's not NECESSARY.

As others have said, it's better to have a little more healthy fat than it is to have more unhealthy sugar. I'd take 6g of fat over 17g of sugar all day every day :)
  • willwillywilson
    Options
    I say sugar for me only because it's empty calories and it always put me in full crave mode. I was the guy who could get a whole thing of Oreos. I love bacon but I could never eat a whole package of it or anything crazy like that.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options

http://www.livestrong.com/article/492804-refined-vs-natural-sugars/
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I think some people in here need a little bit of sweetness in there diet. Everyone is so cranky!
  • bcattoes
    Options

So, once fiber is partitioned off from "natural sugar", the natural sugar is different from processed sugar how?

If you are asking if the end result is different, then no it is not, except for fiber. But the end result being the same, is not the same as the reaction being the same.
  • mmapags
    Options

http://www.livestrong.com/article/492804-refined-vs-natural-sugars/

From the article: "All sugars should be consumed in moderation, but natural sugars do have the advantage of some nutritional benefit."

How are you concluding "natural sugars are great for your body" from that? Natural sugars are have a slightly higher nutritional value than processed sugar. So.......?

Truly, this kind of parsing of sugar is pretty useless and sugar does not suddenly become more or less desireable because it came from a "natural" source. It's all about dose and context. (with a nod to Acg67)
  • mmapags
    Options

If you are asking if the end result is different, then no it is not, except for fiber. But the end result being the same, is not the same as the reaction being the same.

Your body isn't reacting to the sugar any differently. It is just breaking down a food source and partiioning the nutrients. The sugar is processed the same. If it's from a simple processed source, the partioning is less necessary or not necessary at all. The only possible benefit to "natural sugar" is that they are slightly more nutrient dense.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Your body isn't reacting to the sugar any differently. It is just breaking down a food source and partiioning the nutrients. The sugar is processed the same. If it's from a simple processed source, the partioning is less necessary or not necessary at all. The only possible benefit to "natural sugar" is that they are slightly more nutrient dense.

I would say that the process is the same, it's just that fiber or fat will cause the process to happen much more slowly, making it less likely for an insulin spike (in the case of diabetics).
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Neither. You need fat & sugar.
  • bcattoes
    Options

So, in your opinion, sugars "processed quickly" vs. "processed slowly" are equal reactions and have an equal affect on the body?