Birthday coming up... cake?

Options
124»

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    If you were to eat an entire cake every year on your birthday, it wouldn't affect your weight. (provided you ate sensibly the rest of the time)

enjoy your day

I don't disagree with this.

However, I do have a problem with the typical knee-jerk response on MFP to "reward" yourself, to "eat cake until you can't move", and "it's your birthday, you deserve it"....especially since so many people here struggle with an unhealthy relationship with food.

Sure, it doesn't make sense for someone to stress out about whether or not they should eat cake on their birthday...it is almost certainly better to have a slice of cake than to stress out about it...but I didn't get the impression that OP was struggling with this...and yet the overwhelming advice was to "EAT ALL TEH CAKEZ!!!1!eleven!1"

Personally? I would probably not have any cake...but if I did, it would be a solid piece of a quality cake...probably from one of the better bakeries in the area...(or a grape jelly roll made by my mom, which is still my all-time favorite cake).
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Today actually is my birthday :) So far I've had 2 different types of cake. They were YUM. And tonight we are going to my favourite Italian restaurant, hello wine and pasta.

It's not about "rewarding" myself, or "deserving" cake. For me it's about people who have chosen to bake cakes for me, and wanted to take me out to dinner. Who I will have a lovely time with with some delicious food.

Tomorrow I have Body Jam and a weights session and my normal healthy eats.

Everything in moderation.
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Yes to the cake after all it is a lifestyle change not a diet. The way I look at it is I am not going to NEVER have cake again. Instead I work it into my daily calories but if I go over I don't stress about it. One day isn't going to ruin anything you have done =) I not only have cake on my birthday but my kids and my hubby's and it hasn't affected anything for me =)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! ENJOY!!!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    For my birthday I got Blizzard cupcakes from Dairy Queen for my birthday. 6 perfectly portioned little treats that are heaven. Their site is messed up to find the calories for that particular item but I found them listed on here as 240 calories each.

Umm.. they have Blizzard CUPCAKES??? for 240 cals each?! You just made my birthday!! (It's not until December, but it's good to plan ahead!!)
  • eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I don't need the cake. Just give myself $50 to spend at a local nursery (creating more exercise for me). Have a small pc of whatever cake and give yourself something you really been wanting that is not food. Maybe some beauty spa thing you would never splurge on or a new piece of clothing that you been really wanting but couldn't justify spending the $$ on.

We are all individuals so not sure what would mean special to you. But if you got a special something make a ritual of it and when ever you wear it, look at it, etc. know that it was for that year's birthday and how so very much you are worth it.

Christine