Running a 5k without headphones?? WTF?????

Options
124»

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    But as far as giving a competitive edge, seems like it would be just the opposite. Perhaps the ban on headphones is also to ensure that people don't run with cell phones where they might have outside help calling in their times and letting them know where their competition was with respect to them. That's the only way I can see a competitive edge using headphones.

This is going to sound really stupid, lol. But I think that for some people, like myself, it definitely gives a competitive edge. I run outside alone a lot. Not extremely long distances or anything. I try to run a 5k to a 10k two to three times a week at a moderate pace. Maybe a 9-min mile or so. But unless I have someone to talk to, I absolutely HAVE to have headphones. Without them, I find that I struggle.

Listening to music I enjoy seems to give me energy. I crank the volume and don't hear anything around me. I find myself almost singing the song in my head and pushing forward. And here's where it get's weird. Obviously there's a pause between songs. During that short pause, all of a sudden I can hear myself breathing heavy. I can also hear my feet hitting the ground. All of a sudden that seems to break my concentration or remind me that I am running and it sucks! lol.

As weird as it sounds, the music seems to almost take my mind elsewhere while my body does what it needs to do. It feels like it gives me energy and pushes me to run harder. To put it to a real world number.... We have to do a physical fitness test twice a year. Part of that test is a 1.5 mile run. With headphones I can sometimes make the run in just under 10 minutes. Not always, but I'm usually very close. However, without headphones, My times are mid to low 11s.

Again, I know it's stupid and I know it's all in my head. But it does indeed give me a slight edge. I suppose for me it's like that personal trainer that pushes you to do one more rep that I wouldnt have done otherwise.

I'm the same way. Pretty sure if I decide to do any runs this year, I won't be doing any that have a no headphones policy.

Also, no headphones means I have to hear myself snort and gasp like a dying buffalo. Not only should I be able to wear headphones, every runner near me should be warned to wear them, too!
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I used to feel that way, but having my ipod shuffle stolen was pretty liberating. I run more like a meditation now, lost in my head, hearing the world and zoning out, timing my breathing and pounding my own rhythym into the earth. It's pretty relaxing, really. I feel more in tune with myself.

There are days now I run with music and days I run without. Time of day matters to me, too, as I usually run without music if I must run at night. I've found I run faster without music for the most part.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Also, no headphones means I have to hear myself snort and gasp like a dying buffalo. Not only should I be able to wear headphones, every runner near me should be warned to wear them, too!

Seriously, no one cares. ;) I do like not having music on so I can focus on how my breathing sounds, so if I can catch that cutie in the running skirt ahead of me, I have to maintain breathing control, less I look like a pitiable fool.