So, can anyone recommend good facial cleanser?

Options
124»

Replies

• MsGia2
    MsGia2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am 42 with oily skin. Philosophy - "Purity Made Simple" is the cleanser that I swear by. It gets off every trace of make-up even the most stubborn water proof mascara and yet very gentle, doesn't strip your skin. You can find it at Sephora or online. They have an acne line i think it's called "On a Clear Day". But in my thirties the best advice I got from a dermatologist is to stay away from acne products geared for teens. I use that with a Retin A cream (prescription) for my breakouts. It has kept my skin pretty clear.
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have always had problems until I started using Anew Rejuvinate gel cleanser by avon, A tube lasts forever because you only need a tiny bit, and its regular price is 12 dollars but most of the time you can get it on sale for 7. When it goes on sale I get like 3 tubes, one for each bathroom plus a spare lol. It's not drying but balanced my oily skin out like no other.
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I use ProActiv and love it. Also-- Clean and Clear is good.
  • dawnp1833
    dawnp1833 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but I used to work for a modeling agency. We always recommended ProActiv to the models with skin troubles, and it always seemed to work. Also, as ShannonShock said - invest in a Clarisonic. It's totally worth the money. I hesitated about spending so much on a face scrubber, but it has done amazing things for my skin.
  • NJGmywholewrld
    NJGmywholewrld Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Before styaing home to raise my son, I was a Dermatology nurse. We would always recommend baby wash! It is very sensitive and does not irritate or burn your eyes. I use it everyday! Proactiv is something that we would tell our patients to avoid....Unless of course you like cleaning your skin with peroxide! Cetaphil works wonders as well.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend used Accutane for a while but nothing happened....we both now use the Target brand (Up & Up) facial cleaner and it works for us. But then again, I don't wear makeup on a regular basis (special occasions and work events) so I'm sure that helps me.
  • Alaarie
    Alaarie Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm having good results with Mary Kay's Velocity cleanser. I use it in the shower every day and have barely been breaking out since I switched a couple months ago.
  • mitchellkd
    mitchellkd Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Boscia helped me get rid of my acne (after trying proactive, mary kay, and various others). Now that I no longer have acne issues I use Derm Exclusive which was created by Dr. Drew Ordon from the Doctors. I love it.
  • Astacia74
    Astacia74 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with cystic acne since my early 20's and found that many of the OTC products were too harsh for my skin - actually made my breakouts worse. After trying everything from ProActiv to expensive cleansers/creams from Clinique and Mario Badescu, the only thing I have found that works for more that a few months is Ivory soap and a topical cream from my doctor called Epiduo.
  • JewelE77
    JewelE77 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Bump, love all these great ideas!
  • wendyj910
    wendyj910 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I like St. Ives Apricot Scrub with salicylic acid. I sometimes leave it on for awhile as a mask, and then scrub and rinse it off. It works wonders for me, and it's very affordable (stores often have their own brand of it, too).

This is probably one of the worst products on the market. It is made up of crushed apricot shells with jagged edges that actually make cuts in your skin....... That's the last thing that you want to do with acne is to open up your skin for bacteria to enter. You want to keep your skin exfoliated, but look for something that has round beads - like Jojoba beads.

100% agree! St. Ives Apricot Scrub is about as good for your skin as it is to take a belt sander to it! I wish people could see the damage it does to the skin. I love the Daily Microfoliant from Dermalogica for exfoliation...it's made from crushed rice and super soft!
  • kzivic
    kzivic Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I use Purpose facial wash, which was recommended by my Dermatologist.

I have a combination of acne and rosacea so I spent a lot of time and money at my dermatologist's office getting my crazy skin figured out. Chemical peels worked to remove the acne along my chin and jaw line and the Purpose facial wash has helped to keep it away and does not irritate my rosecea.

Another poster recommended a sulphur-based facial wash. I've used those and they helped, but the remaining sulphur smell on my skin was nauseating after a while.