Facebook ver.2?

Options
This may sound a bit harsh but I’ve had a few ‘myfitnesspal friends who I’ve ‘unfriended’ because they appear to use the app as a replacement for Facebook!!

I don’t want to know whether you had a hard day at work, or your having a mid life crisis. No, I just need to know how you are doing on the plan. Maybe those things are related but please mention the plan as well!! sigh!!

Replies

• darisey
    darisey Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I prefer to have friends that mention personal stuff because it helps me connect to those people better and makes it more meaningful to have them on my list because I actually care about them as a person.
  • btetsola
    btetsola Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Really? Hmmm...must just be me then, my bad.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I prefer to have friends that mention personal stuff because it helps me connect to those people better and makes it more meaningful to have them on my list because I actually care about them as a person.

I tend to agree, I've built relationships here with people that I will probably never meet but I still like to hear other aspects of their lives. It's ok to not always talk about fitness/calorie counting, IMO. I have added a couple of my friends here on my facebook and their posts there are still different from here, I get to see even more sides of them. :drinker:
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    This may sound a bit harsh but I’ve had a few ‘myfitnesspal friends who I’ve ‘unfriended’ because they appear to use the app as a replacement for Facebook!!

I don’t want to know whether you had a hard day at work, or your having a mid life crisis. No, I just need to know how you are doing on the plan. Maybe those things are related but please mention the plan as well!! sigh!!

Then why is it you want friends?
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options

This............!!!!!
  • btetsola
    Options

Motivation. Someone to share the journey with. Someone who has good and bad days like me.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Find new friends? I prefer to get to know my friends and not just how they are doing "on plan"... although most of my friends don't really have a plan to be on we just kind of live life. Getting to know my friends means hearing about how their days went, or how sh*tty the weather is or any number of things.

If you don't like that kind of thing unfriend the people and go find like minded people - this site is what you make of it. If its just a tool use it as just a tool, but really having the added benefits of friends on here makes losing weight a little bit more fun.
  • btetsola
    Options
    Find new friends? I prefer to get to know my friends and not just how they are doing "on plan"... although most of my friends don't really have a plan to be on we just kind of live life. Getting to know my friends means hearing about how their days went, or how sh*tty the weather is or any number of things.

If you don't like that kind of thing unfriend the people and go find like minded people - this site is what you make of it. If its just a tool use it as just a tool, but really having the added benefits of friends on here makes losing weight a little bit more fun.

Maybe I do think of it as a tool. "you will lose up to 3x more with friends" what does that mean?
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    For me, since the social aspect is what's making it easier, I *want* to hear about people's lives. Yes, I use this site more than fb now because these people *care* about the weight loss AND about me. I post things and say things not related to weight loss sometimes. It's what I want out of it though.

If it doesn't work for you, don't be friends with me. I prefer to find real connections because it keeps me motivated. It's not the same for everyone though and that's ok.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Dude.

Won't be friending you.

I don't friend people just to watch them lose weight. I friend them because I want to KNOW about them. And that includes their personal life AND their weight loss journey.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options

Maybe I do think of it as a tool. "you will lose up to 3x more with friends" what does that mean?

There have been studys that prove that if your friends are living a similar life style and are supportive, you are more likely to succeed and be healthy. I don't know the exact percentages, but it certainly helps me.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    If you want to stay friends, you can hide their posts on your feed. To the right of one of their posts, if you hover, you will get a link that says "Hide".
  • btetsola
    Options
    For me, since the social aspect is what's making it easier, I *want* to hear about people's lives. Yes, I use this site more than fb now because these people *care* about the weight loss AND about me. I post things and say things not related to weight loss sometimes. It's what I want out of it though.

If it doesn't work for you, don't be friends with me. I prefer to find real connections because it keeps me motivated. It's not the same for everyone though and that's ok.

exactly, its not the same for everyone. I can see its appeal on a social level but I can also see how useful it is, as a purely motivational median
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options

Motivation. Someone to share the journey with. Someone who has good and bad days like me.

You have two friends...and one of them is some version of yourself, did you un-friend all but one?
    Something's not right here......
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    Having friends that go through good and bad and still have a sense of humor are what keep me going. I don't want to constantly talk about dieting. I want to actually enjoy this.
  • btetsola
    Options
    Dude.

Won't be friending you.

I don't friend people just to watch them lose weight. I friend them because I want to KNOW about them. And that includes their personal life AND their weight loss journey.

isn't that for facebook?
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I mention some personal stuff... because, to me, it all adds to how well my "lifestyle change" is working.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Having friends that go through good and bad and still have a sense of humor are what keep me going. I don't want to constantly talk about dieting. I want to actually enjoy this.

THIS**
  • btetsola
    Options

You have two friends...and one of them is some version of yourself, did you un-friend all but one?
    Something's not right here......

The other friend is my wife