Facebook ver.2?

Options

Replies

• Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Plus more than half of your posts are on this thread.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    You're not a very good friend if you don't give a rip if they're having a mid-life crisis. IMO, they're better off without YOU.

Are you saying I'm a horrible person because I wanted a friend to motivate for weight loss purpose only?

Is it a "friend" if it is for weight loss purposes only? How motivating are a few words from someone you only know as another person trying to lose weight?
    Having non fitness related interactions deepens the connection and makes all parties more investment in the success of their friends.

That said. It's for you to use as you will.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    BTW.... I've added a few of my MFP friends on Facebook, as well. I care about the person first... plus, it's added motivation for me.
  • btetsola
    btetsola Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You're not a very good friend if you don't give a rip if they're having a mid-life crisis. IMO, they're better off without YOU.

Are you saying I'm a horrible person because I wanted a friend to motivate for weight loss purpose only?

Yes. Because you're using the person for your own personal reasons. Outside of their usefulness as a motivation for weight loss you don't care about them. That's a terrible way to treat people.

No no no, I thought most people would use it the way I wanted to use it. If anything I clearly misunderstood the social side to things
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options

For the record, I didn't say you were a horrible person. My point is: friends care about eachother and support them not only with their weight loss but with "real life" problems as well. Saying you don't care about their struggles sounds rather cold and heartless.
  • btetsola
    Options
    By the evidence I have seen. This is a trolling thread. Do not bother with it.

Nice comeback. What is a Troll anyway?

A comeback is a response to an insult. I was not insulted, so therefore there was no comeback. If you do not know what a troll is it says to me you are very young. Now, you have 2 friends, both without profiles. You have no profile. You need better game.

Its a shame you are so cynical. My fault for being honest I guess.
  • btetsola
    Options

PS: There's a word for people like you; User.

Did you spell useless incorrectly again???

Is this site for conformist only then?
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    Options

People love the new "troll" word - it's become the internet-chat synonym to "dork" or "stupidhead". I generally consider those to use it to have a very low IQ.

I'm actually with ya - I find so much of this site to be silly. The word games, the "Would you date the person above you" - that's not why I'm here. For what it's worth though, I don't really do much on Facebook, either. I could really care less what the sh!theads from my high school are doing these days.

I also think there's a problem with becoming "friends" in this sort of environment - and I'll give you apparent "haters" of the OP here some devil's advocation. I've made one or two "friends" here on MFP, and the first time I gave one some dieting advice, she kinda bit my head off! Suddenly our friendship took on the usual social mandates - things like weight/age/habits became "personal" and thus weren't open to discussion. Completely defeats the purpose, in my opinion!

I also saw some of my other "friends" resorting to the rolodex of "Common Man" responses - those people who say things like, "Oh it's meant to be" and "well it could be worse!" I was getting lots of "WTG!" and "good burn!" responses - that's not motivation. Those are just social cliches. Had I told them my dog died, the most I probably would have gotten was "so sad!" or "dislike!"

And this is why I've declined most of the invites I've received. However btetsola, if you'd like to friend me, it seems like we might get along. :smile:

HATERS+GONNA+HATE_05d460_3317189.jpg
  • btetsola
    Options

For the record, I didn't say you were a horrible person. My point is: friends care about eachother and support them not only with their weight loss but with "real life" problems as well. Saying you don't care about their struggles sounds rather cold and heartless.

Maybe my choice of words were poor. Its not that I don't care but that its not what i expected
  • Charlie003
    Options

Nice psychological move. Making people go on the defensive by making it look like the have damage your feelings of self worth. Not buying it. Tell you what. Make your diary public and we will see if you are serious. If you have a logs for a year then you are genuine.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

Maybe my choice of words were poor. Its not that I don't care but that its not what i expected

MFP isn't really what I expected it, either. It's BETTER!!!
  • misslindseylou
    misslindseylou Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I thought this site was called "My Fitness Pal," not "My Fitness On-looker.'
  • Charlie003
    Options

*sigh* I do that ALL the time. Thanks for catching it and correcting me. :D
    It is because I care Pen.
  • btetsola
    Options

People love the new "troll" word - it's become the internet-chat synonym to "dork" or "stupidhead". I generally consider those to use it to have a very low IQ.

I'm actually with ya - I find so much of this site to be silly. The word games, the "Would you date the person above you" - that's not why I'm here. For what it's worth though, I don't really do much on Facebook, either. I could really care less what the sh!theads from my high school are doing these days.

I also think there's a problem with becoming "friends" in this sort of environment - and I'll give you apparent "haters" of the OP here some devil's advocation. I've made one or two "friends" here on MFP, and the first time I gave one some dieting advice, she kinda bit my head off! Suddenly our friendship took on the usual social mandates - things like weight/age/habits became "personal" and thus weren't open to discussion. Completely defeats the purpose, in my opinion!

I also saw some of my other "friends" resorting to the rolodex of "Common Man" responses - those people who say things like, "Oh it's meant to be" and "well it could be worse!" I was getting lots of "WTG!" and "good burn!" responses - that's not motivation. Those are just social cliches. Had I told them my dog died, the most I probably would have gotten was "so sad!" or "dislike!"

And this is why I've declined most of the invites I've received. However btetsola, if you'd like to friend me, it seems like we might get along. :smile:

Now this is what I'm talking about!! Friend me up!!
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I guess fact you only have 2 pals speaks volumes...

any one thing in our life affects all others... so it is good to express it all, just saying...
  • Charlie003
    Options

Is this site for conformist only then?

yES. i AM DEFINATELY A CONFORMIST. Everyone knows that....or was that communist. I get mixed up.
  • btetsola
    Options

Nice psychological move. Making people go on the defensive by making it look like the have damage your feelings of self worth. Not buying it. Tell you what. Make your diary public and we will see if you are serious. If you have a logs for a year then you are genuine.

ok, your on!!
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options

No one says you have to be social. If all you want out of this site is for someone to hi-5 you for eating your oatmeal and doing your Zumba class, then choose those people. I don't know what country you come from where you expect people to gather in one location and NOT make it a social gathering.... sounds very cold and robotic to me.

People do more than just diet and exercise to find their well-being. So the social dynamic of this place is what ends up keeping most people around.

And quite frankly, if the masses are okay with it, and not posting whiney threads about it, maybe it is just YOU.
  • btetsola
    Options
    I thought this site was called "My Fitness Pal," not "My Fitness On-looker.'

How does that add to the discussion?
  • btetsola
    Options

No one says you have to be social. If all you want out of this site is for someone to hi-5 you for eating your oatmeal and doing your Zumba class, then choose those people. I don't know what country you come from where you expect people to gather in one location and NOT make it a social gathering.... sounds very cold and robotic to me.

People do more than just diet and exercise to find their well-being. So the social dynamic of this place is what ends up keeping most people around.

And quite frankly, if the masses are okay with it, and not posting whiney threads about it, maybe it is just YOU.

Maybe its not!