either my father's a jerk, or I'm oversensitive

Options

Replies

• florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    A lot of you are mentioning that you don't know my father, and our relationship does have a lot to do with it. He jokes all the time, about everything. His jokes are often hurtful but he's just joking, so you can't get mad, right? His cute name for me is "the difficult one". He is not abusive in any way but often makes jokes that are meant to be harmless but actually hit a nerve. Truth is, I'm scared that I'll give up on this weight loss effort and gain it all back. His joke (which I guess you'd have to be there for the context) meant to me "you're just going to gain it back over Christmas" or something along those lines, was a joke about my biggest fear. I don't want to be overweight for the rest of my life. I want to be healthy for my next pregnancy, be active with my kids, and attractive for myself and my husband.
    I don't know your dad, but I know a number of people who think it is funny and okay to push other people's buttons. And this really is a mild form of abuse. Very likely, all you need to do to get him to ease up, is sit him down and explain that you do fear regaining the weight, and you need his positive support. If you do this honestly, sincerely, and without getting mad, most people will respond with support.

A few will still be jerks and ramp up the nasty comments. I hope your father is not one of those! I daresay you know if he is or not. If he is, you just need to stop sharing things with him.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Not to mention that Christmas is only ONE day.

Oh, if only that were true. While I get that Christmas is technically only one day, the get togethers and food last so much longer than that! The temptations exist for the whole season and not just the one day.

I think you should take the comment that pointed out your fear and use it as motivation. Prove to yourself that you can make it through this season with no gain. Keep on tracking, keep on exercising and realize that part of this time (like already said) is about friends and family also. Remind yourself how incredibly proud you will be of you on January 2nd when you stayed strong - mentally and physically.
  • Fat2Fit145
    Fat2Fit145 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    HMMM..... that should not have been his first comment after you told him how much u lost..... naturally someone wld congratulate you, or be shocked or something but not that.... but i really cant determine what he was implying.... but I guess you should talk to him.

I also think ur expectiation of how YOU WANTED him to respond has you feeling this way.....you were hoping for something more positive, which is natural and I understand! Dont be discouraged....Keep ur head up :)
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Some interesting ideas have popped up here. You could choose any one and go with it. I know how you feel however and unsupportive remarks like that have derailed me so many times I can't count. I hope you won't let that happen to you. That comfort food will give you only temporary comfort. Look for the long lasting comfort of feeling good about yourself. And congrats on your progress so far.

The old me would never again mention anything about my weight to this person. Now I would be doing it all the time. Ongoing progress reports and laugh at his rude remarks.

You say his "joking" put downs are not abusive but they ARE psychologically abusive. And the evidence is right there. He affected your attitude and caused you to question yourself. Be strong. Keep up the excellent work.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    He's your ONLY Dad and he loves you!! I say your being too sensitive!

I lost my Daddy unexpectedly back in March and would give ANYTHING even my left leg to talk to hear his voice no matter what he said.

Call him up and tell him you love him (RIGHT NOW!) and thank him for being YOUR Dad. Hug him everytime you see him, because there might be a time that you can't.

And Congrats on YOUR weight loss!! :)
    This is a wonderful post and something everyone should take in. I am sorry for your loss, but it seems he raised a wise person. No doubt he is proud.

This.....:flowerforyou:
    And to the OP, grow up, you are overly sensitive and looking for an excuse to eat...You are in charge of your body - not your interpretation of somebody else's words...
  • emb310
    emb310 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congrats first off! My dad is the same so i just end up getting upset and hurt when he comments like that. I just keep remebering im doing this for myself not for him! I dont need the congratsfrom someone that cant give it willingly. DO NOT let his neg comment slow you done. And pleae dont believe it. YOU are the one thats doing great and helping your body feel better! Keep up the good work and surround yourself around people that will uplift you and make you feel great! Your dad is your dad ofcourse you will love him just try to get a better group of peopkle who will support you through this wonderful journey :)
  • schell81
    schell81 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Thank you to those who had helpful comments! Some of them meant a great deal to me. For the record, I didn't binge. I had my smoothie and enjoyed it and patted myself on the back for how far I've come.
  • LockStockNSam
    LockStockNSam Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My dad is in his 60s, and cracks wise about anything and everything, most of the time in bad taste, but I still love him anyway. And sometimes he says the same sort of things your dad does. But like what a lot of other people have said in this post, it's all perspective, and it's all about how you feel about yourself. I used to be made fun of and mercilessly teased, mocked, and judged for being fat, by friends and family. And it got me down a lot, and made me feel powerless to make any changes. But once you start making those changes, and start achieving, you realize that those people teasing and judging have no more power, and you sort of start to feel sorry for them, and wonder what is going on in their own hearts and minds.

When I was at my highest (187), both my dad and my brother would make fun of me for my weight, while my mother would try to be supportive and encourage me to exercise and eat better for my health. My parents had a falling out while I was undergoing my first weight loss journey (I got down to 127), and when I saw my dad again, he was speechless at the change. He always had the attitude that I should just accept that I'm overweight and that I'd always be, and though it hurt at the time, I learned later that he was in fact projecting his own low self confidence, since he, too, is overweight, and feels powerless to do anything about it. Now that I'm back on the health bandwagon, he has been very supportive and encouraging, and though he does still make comments ("Oh, you lost ___? Well (insert holiday) is coming up, better watch yourself!"), I take them in stride. If I react like "Oh thanks, Dad, that's really supportive", his feelings actually get hurt, because he's only joking around. Instead I explain that I know, and that I'm going to work hard, and that these lifestyle changes are for LIFE. Then we actually get into these great discussions about food and exercise, and he's really giving and interested in it. In fact, we're going to be joining a gym together in the winter, since he's just recovering from a really serious illness and would like to inject a little bit of physical activity into his life.

My point, and again, not knowing your dad, is to communicate. In the beginning, my dad didn't think before he spoke, and would poke fun of me, but when I actually sat him down and told him how much it hurt, he understood. The odd crack isn't going to phase me after all my hard work, and the more we talk, the more I know that he is supportive of me, interested in my new lifestyle, and willing to work with me on his own goals. I was resistant in talking to him about anything, ever, for most of my formative years, but now that I'm older, it has really been worth it.

End rant!
  • daump
    daump Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think you should remind your brother of what he said and how it hurt. Then ask him if he still feels the same.
    As a guy, I have to admit that we usually just do not understand how some of our comments can make the other person feel. Help him understand so that he doesn't do this to more people.
    This is not an "I did it, so there!" moment, but a teaching moment to help him be a better person.
  • AnaBanana413
    AnaBanana413 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    You're doing this for yourself, not your dad. I think that 19 lbs. is a whole lot of weight to lose...so CONGRATULATIONS!!! Keep it up, you are doing terrific. I suggest that you need to reward yourself: How about buying yourself a new scarf(it will still fit when you reach your goal), or go out for a walk and admire the natural beauty that is outside your door.
    If your dad is the cup is half full kind of guy...please ignore what he says. What you have to say is far more important!
    By the way, if you decide that eating is the way to react to your father's unsupportive comment, you are only going to regret it...it is a way of punishing yourself. The way to deal with the negatives in your life(like dad), is by creating positives...lots of them!
    Keep up the good work!
    Love,
    AnaBanana413
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    The real question is simple. "Does your father know that gaining it back is your biggest fear?"

If he does, then he's an insensitive prick.

If not, and you know he likes to joke (you've said as much), then you're being *a little* oversensitive.

In either case, it wasn't the best thing to say, but it hopefully wasn't meant to hurt you.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Let this be a lesson to you: When men make a simple statement, they always have some deep, complex meaning that they are secretly hoping you'll try to uncover.
  • sazz786
    Options
    Sometimes you have to nasty to be nice, he can see u are doing well....but this should push u to loose some mre n stay focussed.
  • loserbaby84
    loserbaby84 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    All good comments above. My opinion - prove him wrong.

When someone tells me I can't or won't do something I push that much harder just to say "I told you so".

Cheers! :)
  • Julettashane
    Julettashane Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    i dont know you or your dad but i dont think it was meant to be hurtful.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    But - your dad IS right (sort of.) I think his point was poorly brought across, but it's a point no less. This "time of year" (holiday food) is hard on anyone losing weight. All that seemingly endless supply of delicious food ready to be devoured, and it doesn't stop until New Year's is over. It's a very long month of challenges to your willpower. Can you handle it? I think so, I know *I* can, and I am a huge food addict.

I think this may play, too. Some people have a rather twisted way of "helping" wherein they point out all the hazards and challenges in front of you.

While it may be true, it IS a real downer when you're trying to get your enthusiasm rolling and these people are one giant wet blanket in the name of "protecting" you from potential pitfalls by either highlighting them or otherwise trying to curb your excitement. It's even worse when all they do is point that stuff out without offering to help you find ways around the challenges or otherwise support you through them.

As a parallel from my life: When I bought my house, my mom initially said "well, there goes all your fun money, because it's going into your house" or "there's always something that needs fixing". Both of these statements are true. She was trying to be "helpful" with them by saying that I was going to spend more mone and that I would always have some chore to do. She was trying to "help" me be ready for the reality of home ownership. She was right on all counts. I've been spending money I didn't have to when I was a tenant, and I've got an ongoing to-do list. At the time, however, it felt a bit discouraging (and hurtful, because it made me feel like she didn't think that I might have ALREADY thought about those challenges).

But that time was brief and now she's saying things like "I think it was a really good idea to buy when you did" or "You're right. You have a great house, here." Hopefully, your father will change his tune in a similar way once he appreciates how serious you are.
  • APBTChampion
    APBTChampion Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Judging from your reaction, it seems like he's said some pretty hurtful things to you in the past and your instinct is to get upset. Whether or not he meant it the way you took it, forget about it. Show him this Holiday season that you won't be brought down by food, or petty comments (whether vague or obvious).

You're doing well, and if he can't appreciate what you're doing - don't bother even telling him. Let him watch from the sidelines as you melt the pounds away into a new you.
  • barbara4907
    barbara4907 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    No no no - don't sabotage your weight loss. I grew up believing all the hurtful things people said to me regarding my weight. I'm old now and wish I hadn't let it get to me so much. Be strong and do what you've got to do for yourself. If anyone makes hurtful comments and you haven't done anything to deserve it - just think to yourself they must be having a bad day and they're taking it out on you. People won't always respond the way you expect and they're not always happy about others success cause it makes them feel less successful.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    you should tell him how hurtful that remark was because it was.

"christmas is coming" is a hurtful remark?

that is just totally absurd

If her Pop is anything like my Pop, yes it is.

My dad was always really mean to us about our weight (my sister and I).
    ages ago I'd lost about 25lbs. He saw me in my swimsuit and said "I thought you lost weight." Thanks dad.

People can be super hurtful with not so "hurtful" comment. I don't think they even know they are doing it

Don't let it screw your day or progress. Haters gonna hate. Even our parents. xoxo
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Don't let him sabotage you. Murder him first!