can you pin point a moment?

Options

Replies

• lynnettebrooks
    Options
    Well I could put it on when i was beaten, abused, or at age 10 being burned. The broken home. The need to be in control in an out of control world. Just pick one. But now at age 56 it is time for me with kids raised and grand kids coming fast it is time to take charge of the out of control world. Life has not all been bad as an adult I have had a great husband of 30 years and wonderful kids. But now that they are grown I can take time for me.
  • marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    6 years ago... I turned to eating when I couldn't make sense of my world ....job, personal, and family.

It got worse when those people around me didn't know how to help and support me during this time. I always felt that I was "not as good" as anyone else. Thankfully I found a wonderful therapist.

I now feel "just as good" as anyone which has changed my outlook

MFP rocks! What a great supportive environment!
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Yep, when I quit playing baseball
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    where it all went wrong and you started gaining? for me it was when I stopped dancing.. :-(

When i had a blood clot rupture in my brain and i had a stroke, became bed ridden for over a year while i tried to regain use of my left side. Between being immobile and medications.. that did it for me!!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    2 moments for me: When my thyroid decided to stop working and my house burning down.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    When my thyroid started failing, and I was unaware of any issue at all. I continued eating normal, but normal now makes me gain tons of weight. =[ Getting a retail job working 39 hours a week on my feet didn't help during the same time either

I Hear that! I went undiagnosed with my thyroid for over 4 years, I totally get you! My husband gets pissed at me because I stopped eating nearly as much as I used to. We broken people have to be extra careful!
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,939 Member
    Options
    Watching my dad eat crap as a kid made me want to do the same and before i knew it became a habbit.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Birth.

Seriously.

I was bottle fed. My mother didn't know how to cook and loved "convenience foods" (this was the 60s and 70s). I took bologna sandwiches on white bread with a coke and twinkies for lunch. We ate frozen stuff for dinner.
    I never took home ec, so *I* never learned to cook. I never learned about nutrition due to my own stubbornness.
    I went to college and then beer and pizza happened....
    fast forward

Age 33ish I decided: whoa, I need to figure this stuff out.

Thank God I was "outdoorsy" and "athletic" and had a fantastic metabolism in my youth, because LORD I ate like crap. Because of my metabolism, I managed to finish high school at 94lbs (I'm 5'6") and college at 130....
    I was at about 156 when I learned how to eat... I literally gained weight from birth to 33.

Now I'm 47 at 132 (and have been, give or take 5, since I was about 33), I FEEL better. I look better. Not just weight, not just body fat. EVERYTHING.

I'm entering menopause, so I'm being extra vigilant....
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I guess after my second child. I was quite thin in high school and college...5' 10" and 113 pounds! Not a good look!! I was flat chested and had huge feet! I looked like Olyve Oyl!! When I got married, I gained enough weight to look more normal. When I had my first child, I felt like I should diet but knew I needed to wait til I was done breast feeding. Then I realized I was losing weight without trying (Oh, how I miss that!!) then when I had my second child I figured the same thing would happen but...NOOOOO! That child is now 19 and I have been yoyo dieting ever since! Add one more child to the mix and even more weight. I was at my biggest in February-260. I have lost 61 pounds since then so the first number is no longer a 2!!!
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    The first round happened in high school when my brother was battling cancer. I was always running back and forth from the hospital with my parents and therefore ate a lot of fast food out of convenience. I lost most of that weight and then put a little back on my first couple of years of college, but not much. I think the second round was definitely due to turning 21. I can guarantee most of my weight has come from going out and drinking as well as late night runs to Taco Bell or Whataburger afterwards. =/
  • P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    When I went to uni and didn't bother to learn how to cook! Takeaways, junk food and lots of alcohol tends to lead to massive weight gain :noway:
  • makenoexcuses
    makenoexcuses Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    When I let my depression get the best of me and I thought I could just sit at home and eat everything I wanted to with no consequences. :embarassed:
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Comfy relationship syndrome. Was a gym obsessive in my teens, when I was 18 I got into a 7 year relationship, stopped working out, spent far too much time on the sofa with the girlfriend watching films and eating ice cream out of the tub and getting curries. At the start of that relationship I was 10 stone exactly and 5% BF, at the end I was 16.5 stone and almost 40% BF.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    When I got a car
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    Childhood - had food issues which meant even as young as 5 used to sit at a "special" table at lunch to ensure I ate "real food".

Sweet tooth past on from both parents didn't help and sweeties/cakes were "rewards" for being good. I was a pretty good kid so was rewarded often.

Got out of this mindset (finally) now rewards myself with those kgb deal/groupon discounts for massages, hair appointments and other pampering things. Still have a sweet tooth though but use my willpower to stay away from my "trigger foods" and try to make better choices of the ones I won't avoid baked crisp 100 cal bag rather than regular 200 cals a bag etc
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Originally it was my eight pregnacies. I lost those pounds and then put some back on during my divorce.
  • cathleencan
    Options
    When I went away to college my freshman year and told myself that I'd only gain the freshman 15...then 30...then almost 50! After that year, I said I'd lose weight, but I just kept gaining. I went from 175 to 240 in a year and a half. I maintained around the 240 point until last August before I started losing weight. I'm down around 215-217 now, but need to start back up working out.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    When I thought I'd reached where I wanted to be and got complacent, well the rest is history
  • Terree83
    Options
    Sure can.. when I graduated from college! I played 2 sports while in school, so as soon as I graduated and was no longer going to practices 2 or 3 times per day, I put on some major pounds. It was so easy to say "oh, I worked so hard in school, I can take a little break". HA! That little break turned into about a year of no working out. I started to get back into it, and now play tennis about 3-4 times per week and always hit the gym!

It's soooo easy to stop eating well and working out.. I wish it was that easy to get started again!
  • kandilynn03
    kandilynn03 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm not completely sure. As a small child I was thin. But my parents had atrocious eating habits, and my grandparents always cooked my favorite foods and let me have as much as I could stuff in my face. My mom put cheese on every single thing we ate. And we were almost completely sedentary. Video games and TV were our main forms of entertainment. As soon as I hit puberty, all of the bad habits caught up with me big time, but I was steadily gaining throughout my childhood.