Okay, I'm sick of this confusion.

Options
124»

Replies

• entwife
    entwife Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Basically there is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all rule to weightloss. if there was, wouldn't there be one clear winner in all these weight-loss programs that are constantly marketed to us?

When i try to guesstimate my calories, i have found I always OVERestimate. What I think to be 100g of chicken turns out to be 50g etc etc. I recently tried losing weight by following my hunger signals, and for a month all went really well, the weight was falling off. Then almost overnight it stopped. I was puzzled why so I tracked for a couple of days and guess what? I was having about 900cal per day. Not a good idea. I'm now back to tracking again but I'm still waiting for the weightloss to kick in again.

So yes i believe in "famine mode" or whatever you call it.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    You can't get fat eating:

Fruits
    Vegetables
    Lean protein
    Wholegrains
    Healthy fats

And working out 4-7 days a week.

It's not that hard.
  • biodorkus
    biodorkus Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is what happens when you eat below 1200 calories a day, even once, or go more than 12 hours without at least 400 calories. What happens is that cells in your body called fececysts become depleted of energy and and emit a secretion that triggers hormonal responses by the guanogland. Once this occurs, the hormones decrease your caloric expenditure limit and cause your digestive system to turn all consumed calories directly into fat.
    How do you know that clouds are made of water molecules? From a book obviously, but which book? Exactly. There's countless textbooks that will support what I've said. I just remember the info instead of the author's names. Just google the guanogland and fececysts. You'll find a plethora of sources to draw upon.

I don't know about anyone else's Google, but according to mine neither of those terms exist. And while I'm not an MD, I was a Bio major in college and took several classes in Anatomy and Physiology and never once heard of either a fececyst or guanogland. It's possible you're just confusing terms and have the basic info correct, but those two words are most certainly not.

Edit: and as another poster already pointed out, considering the fact that both ficticious terms contain synonyms for poop, I'm highly skeptical.
  • biodorkus
    biodorkus Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    These two sites do a much better job of explaining what happens during "starvation mode" (no "fececysts" or "guanoglands"):

http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/ketosis.html

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-starvation-mode.htm
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is what happens when you eat below 1200 calories a day, even once, or go more than 12 hours without at least 400 calories. What happens is that cells in your body called fececysts become depleted of energy and and emit a secretion that triggers hormonal responses by the guanogland. Once this occurs, the hormones decrease your caloric expenditure limit and cause your digestive system to turn all consumed calories directly into fat.

Even if this were true, it wouldn't mean you gain weight or prevent weight loss If all consumed calories were turned directly to fat, your body would have to burn stored fat. It must use something for fuel, after all.

I guess you just completely ignored the part where the body drops its max burn limit, so that it gets more time out of the same energy pool.

Can you define "energy pool" for this body that is "turn(ing) all consumed calories directly into fat"?

Lets think... if calories are stored into fat... what oh what could the body use as an "energy pool" for calories.... Oh that's right... fat. It's just using less of it though!

Okay, thinking cap on and I'm thinking real hard. But I just can't figure how that differs from my statement above that said "your body would have to burn stored fat".

And honestly I'm having a hard time with how "turning all calories consumed directly into fat" and "using stored fat for fuel" would be much different than using the calories before they turned to fat.

You're not listening to a single thing I say. You're seeing words and missing entire concepts.
    Have you even looked up fececysts and tried doing an ounce of research?

Why would I have to do research on you repeating what I say, then pretending you said something else really deep and meaningful that I missed. Either the body is burning stored fat or it is not.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You can't get fat eating:

Fruits
    Vegetables
    Lean protein
    Wholegrains
    Healthy fats

And working out 4-7 days a week.

It's not that hard.

If I eat the items above and exercise 4-7 days and still have a calorie surplus, I absolutely can gain weight.