SAHM 2/1/10-2/7/10

Options
Welcome to the SAHM group! We are an open group. Join in anytime! We are very informal with no official weigh-in's or challenges--but we do continue to support and motivate one another. We understand the unique aspects of getting healthy AND taking care of our families at the same time.
So join the conversation! We'd love to hear from you!

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Rabbit, rabbit, SAHM sisters!

In case you're wondering, saying "Rabbit, rabbit" first thing, on the first day of each month is supposed to bring luck. Silly little superstition I've had since I was a kid (thanks for rotting my brain, Nickelodeon!)

I was going to start C25K training tomorrow, but thinking I might do it today instead. Supposed to make Shepherd's Pie for dinner, but the baking dish is the same one I needed last night, and it's still unwashed. Guess I will trash the leftovers from it and wash it myself.
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    GM SAHM friends! This week is going to be a great week for everyone I just know it!:flowerforyou:
  • dolphin7
    dolphin7 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I am a SAHM of 5, range in age from 2-11, and currently 4 of them are sick along with myself. This past week I did not get in any workouts, but kept up on eating healthy. I usually workout 3-5 times a week for an hour, and try to do some type of activity on the weekend, whether its sledding with the kids or snowboarding (which I love). I have hit a plateau for months now, actually since the kids went back to school, I just stopped losing, I think mostly because we have long winters here, get stuck in the house, school activities, etc., so I'm not as active as I would like to be. But a few nice days keep poking out once in a while, so I'm thinking of getting a double jogging stroller and start jogging. I think I would really like to become a runner. I have an Elliptical and I do videos at home, I think maybe my body has got too used to this routine, so I'm hoping starting to run, will get me over this hump. I still have about 40 lbs. to lose to be at a healthy BMI, and really cannot wait. I look forward to all the support and meeting new friends with this thread, thanks for the invite!
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    just tagging to get to later

GM!
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Welcome, Dolphin! I live in a snowy climate, too. I recently started running, and just completed my first 5k this past Saturday. I got into it for a funny reason. I have the Wii Fit Plus, and was doing free run for the first time. It said I went a mile in 10 mins. So I thought to myself "I can totally do a mile in 10 mins!"
    So I signed up for my 5k. A few days later, I was running outside and DYING. I thought "What the heck have I gotten myself into?!"
    But now I'm going a couch to 5k program, and going to do my next 5k right!

Anyway, welcome aboard. I don't think you could have found a better group on MFP :)
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Welcome Dolphin! Trish is right, this is a great group of ladies! As for running, it is a great way to burn stress and calories! I run, Trish runs, and a coupleof the other ladies run as well. I have been running for 11 years, so if you have any questions, I will try to help!

Stacey- I am glad you enjoyed the show! Hubby will be in your neck of the woods in a couple of weeks, he has a training to attend for work. Do you have a good recipe for Challah? I would love to try it sometime, even though I am not Jewish. That isn't offensive is it to eat it if you aren't?

Trish- Boy that's a funny one....having leftovers....:laugh: Having to clean the pan days later is not something that happens in this house. The kids eat more than Andy and I do! BTW- I love the cute little outfits you picked out. I really liked the one sundress!

My goals- Drink WATER!!!! I slacked over the weekend with that!
    To not get too worked up about going to the dentist on Wed. I have to have 3 fillings replaced:noway: I get really claustrophobic in the chair.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Nicole, I love my dentist. He has plasma TVs on the cieling and a video library. Between a movie & heavy drugs, I am thoroughly entertained! Unfortunately we had to change insurance so we can't see him anymore. Seeking equally cool dentist office with equally competent dentist.

Well I got to the rec center, but all the TMs were in use. Sooo, I started my C25K on the eliptical. Nicole, do you think that's okay, oh running master? I went a mile & a half on it, doing the fast & slow intervals. If I can do that on the TM on Wednesday, that means I've already slashed 20 mins off my 3k!
    I did do a little bit on the TM after that, but my legs were complaining. I'm not sure if it's from the lunges I did last night with my Wii BL workout, or from the race. Either way, I didn't want to push them so early on in the training (only been doing this a few weeks, and official program started today).

Off to find out what time the RC opens on Wednesday. If they open at 5A, I think I'll go do my run then, and get back before hubby leaves for work. That way I don't have to do it as soon as Grace & I get up, race home to change, then race off to doc appointment.

P.S. The leftovers are from the taco casserole. I loved it, but Andy was not a fan. Since I'm a goob, I forget to schedule leftovers into my food diary. Andy usually ends up eating them. Needless to say, leftovers in question will not get eaten.
  • dolphin7
    dolphin7 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I am so glad there are some SAHM runners I can talk to when I'm ready. I'm having to take a few more days of rest, trying to get rid of this chest cold, so I'll be online searching for a jogging stroller, the only time I can go out and jog for now is when I have kids in toe, but I think I will be able to find a good jogging stroller, then when I get better and more confident at running, and weather is warmer, I'll head out on my own. I'll check back in a few days when I'm all better and ready to start back into the exercise routine.
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Running master! You are too funny Trish!:laugh: Hardly! Just a running addict! I hate to say this, but the elliptical is not a sub for running. It is a great workout though! It doesn't have the impact on the joints like running. When you can use the TM, then run.

Dolphin- When you get your strooler, I would definitely check out the c25k program. I have heard alot of success stories about it!
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Sooooooo...I dont' know if anyone noticed, and I think that I forgot to mention it last week, I changed the words/goal on my bottom ticker. I was supposed to be doing a 10 mile race on April 10th. We just found out last week that Andy won a trip to Jamaica through work.:drinker: It's the same weekend as the 10 miler.:sad: I was really looking forward to that race. But...It is a free trip to Jamaica...like a second honeymoon!
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Jamaica is gorgeous! The race will seem like such a trifle once you see those waters! I've been there, and I want to go back someday. The waters are just as blue as you see on TV, and you can see straight to the bottom. It's a real planetary treasure!
  • staceyw37
    Options
    jamaica is very pretty---lush, which surprised me. how cool for you two!!
    one word of caution--stay on/with your resort/group. jamaica is not a very safe place and you sdn't go wandering about on your own.

welcome dolphin! you will love this group! we all get it and you can draw energy from these girls.

nicole--ANYONE can make challah. it is not offensive in the least. furthermore there are many "non-jewish" versions. for ex, i have a recipe for a xmas bread and it seems like a challah and when i worked in a bakery in college we made zupfe--of german/swiss origin. it just wasn't quite as sweet and chewy. and brioche is similar too but that has all the yummy dried fruits and sweet glaze with slivered almonds. so there are many ways to do it.
    i will post up the recipe i use.

and trish--re: your wet bread and rise cycle---i don't make challah in the breadmaker. so i can't help you there. the only bread i make in that is the recipes from the gadget's manual.
    i use my kitchen aid stand mixer for my bread baking--with the dough hook. i use the stand mixer for practically all my baking--since that's what i used at the bakery. make sense?
    lmk if i can help you further.

i'm so beat. 2 LATE nights in a row. will lay on the couch with boy (who will zone on a movie) b4 i get the girls. i have gotten chores done and time with boy but little else.

later chicas!
  • sandmart2009
    sandmart2009 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm back too!!!

Juts finished my stretching and calisthenics and boy I am worn out! I just skipped a day - yesterday - as I have reached my goal of working out 3-4x a week. It's amazing how skipping one day can do to your energy level. It's like rebuilding it all over again. I am pooped!

What I had today so far:
    Bfast: Chicken and corn soup, coffee, gobs of water, 2 slices of bread
    Lunch: baked pink salmon, 1 hotdog, green tea, water
    snack: popcorn, quaker granola bar

Dinner would probably be: 1 peanut butter sandwich, lettuce and spinach salad, celery sticks.
  • sandmart2009
    sandmart2009 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    And by the way - I wish I could join you all in your running too. But my knees feel like they're going to give in. So until I get a little more comfortable with my weight, I am not going to risk it. It runs in my family - chronic knee dislocation - and I have had 3 already. Good thing is I recover and am able to walk after a month... But the pain is no fun.

Any suggestions and alternatives? I used to do a lot of swimming back in the Philippines - but now that I am here and no way to run around as my paperworks are not done yet- I am stuck at home all the time. I am having a hard time with the cold too... :(
  • nicolee516
    Options
    I have heard that you have to be careful in Jamaica. I was only in the airport there on my way to/from Bonaire. We were o na Scuba Diving trip. I used to be a manager at a Scuba shop. I am looking forward to blue water and white beaches! All the more reason not to cheat between now and then. I would love to wear a bikini! Positive thinking! here we go!

K- there are great exercise videos out there. I do a yoga video and the 30 day shred, but i don't recommend the shred because of your knees. Stacey does the Leslie Sanson dvd's. I think you can find different videos online that are free, and I go to the library and rent them.

Trish- I am going to comment o nthe bread thing too. I actually don't even have a bread maker, I make mine all by hand, so I can't help you out either.

I only have 64 oz's down. MUST GO DRINK!!!!:drinker: :drinker:
  • staceyw37
    Options
    CRUMMY day for eating.
    soooo new month. new plans.
    my eating has gotten very disordered. partly cuz there is so much junk for the kids yes i cd get rid of it, but the truth is i can also resist, and the more i do the easier it gets. i have just been consuming so much garbage these last months that i'm always wanting more. i can and must do better. i'm disappointing myself and don't like how i look or feel when i eat like this and don't exercise. blech.

i know that profile pic looks good, but it is very much an illusion. the way i positioned my legs even is like how celebs do on the red carpet and it can make you look slimmer. soooo

Goals this week:
    drink 8-9 glasses water per day
    3 veges and 2 fruits per day (minimum)
    lunches will be pbj with apple and carrots, snacks=smoothies (homemade)
    do that hybrid p90x plan!!!

pick 6 things to do each day--laundry, read 30min, play trains w/boy, extra chills for middle, file .... etc 6 quality items and the list will get done.

wish me luck!!
  • curliegirl
    Options
    Hello all--Monday is almost done! Welcome Dolphin--hope that you are feeling better soon! This is a great group for support on weight loss & being a mom at home. Take care of yourself & those kidos!

Nicolee--Jamaica? Can I hide in your suitcase? We are talking about a cruise next year for our 20th anniversary next year. I am sooooo ready for some sunshine and warmth. I am not even in the cold snowy areas that some of you guys are but I am ready for spring. Glad you get this opportunity!

Stacey--this journey is hard. Don't beat yourself up for the past--you can't change it. Just start where you are at and move forward. It is good you are sick of the junk & how you feel. Let that be your motivation for walking away from the things you shouldn't eat. I have been using that every time I walk through the kitchen today. I had to move cookies that were on the counter to inside the cabinet. If I see it then the temptation is a million times harder. But I DIDN'T eat even one. :smile:

Today was good for me--Monday's are always are. I stayed under my calories, drank 8 glasses of water, walk/jogged and burned 300 CALORIES!!!!! That is a first--remember a week or so ago when I was whining about my 100 cal workouts? I really wasn't pushing hard enough. Then we grouted the floor in the bath(Yipee!) so that burned some more.

Goals tomorrow

8 glasses of water
    Stay under calories--need a plan for supper. Tomorrow is our anniversary & we are going out to eat. Going to look at restaurant menus in a minute.
    Short walk in the morning just to give me a few more calories for supper
    NOT get worn out on errands so I can enjoy dinner. :)

Hope everyone has a great Tuesday!

Kim
  • Hopey1994
    Options
    Hi ladies!
    I'm back from Oregon and from re-organizing the house. It only took 2 weeks! How have you all been?
    My DH comes home in 25 days for a couple weeks, and I'm desperately trying to get the house ready so we can relax and have 2 weeks of family time with minimal housework.

Nicole- congrats on the Jamaica trip! How exciting! I'm sure the warm beach will help soften the blow of missing your race. Maybe you could run 10 miles on the beach? I've heard that's a work out. :smile:
  • cvtga
    cvtga Posts: 118
    Options
    Welcome dolphin. I'm pretty new to this group. My name is Kelly, I don't know much about running I have had way too many knee injuries playing sports as a kid to even consider it. I do though have an elliptical and find my body needing a new challenge on it weekly. Luckily mine has some pre programmed workouts and 12 different resistance levels, so not bored of it yet. Hope you enjoy our little group.

Wow Nicole Jamaica? I have never been but I'm sure you will have a great time. Their will be plenty of runs when you get back that I'm sure you can do even better tan. lol
  • nicolee516
    Options
    GM everyone!

I know you all can fit in my suitcase! Lets all go to Jamaica mon!:laugh: :flowerforyou:

Hopey! I am glad you made it back safe and that your hubby is coming home soon! What did you think of Oregon? Where all did you go?

Stacey- I like what Kim said about not beating yourself up and just moving forward from here.

Kelly- I like that idea of a tan race! LOL:laugh:

As much as it pains me to say this, I think I have to either take this week off from running, or cut WAAAAAYYY back. :sad: :sad: :sad: I thought me knee was getting better, but it's not. My knee will appreciate me all the more.:ohwell: