Are all these food allergies real?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I belong to an organic CSA that has goes through organic certification every couple of years.

Please stop.......you are making me laugh.

Do you REALLY think that fruits and vegetables are NOT healthier than packaged junk? You have got to be kidding me.

I do trust local farmers around here where I live. I don't trust large Corporate farms and such. Here in the United States the large farms have massive recalls due to salmonella and listeria poisoning that it just pushes me more and more to eat as local as I can until I can grow all of my food myself.

And those farmers that are telling you about corn, wheat, soy and other seeds that are injected with pesticide..........That is Monsanto, round up ready seed.

That is only one reason as to why I don't eat grains. I have many other reasons also.

No need to be rude. I'm telling you MY experience. And yes, if my vegetables have been genetically modified I truly believe they are no healthier then packaged junk food. Long term we don't know what all the gene splicing is doing to the human body when we consume that crap. We just don't know.

I'm happy that you have the option to buy organic food (although, how do you ensure pesticides from neighboring fields don't get into your food? Can something TRULY be organic when the wind isn't in your favor?), but we don't all have that option. There are NO organically grown foods around here. The stuff in the grocery store is not exactly trust worthy.

It's not only grain seeds that are tainted??? Peas, carrots, they've all been messed with to make them 'stronger'. To make them grow larger. And the way they grow the same damned crop in the same soil every year - that isn't healthy. Not for the land and not for the vegetables.

*shrug* Anyway. Whatever. I don't choose to worry about it. I find it all very interesting. But there isn't much we can do about it. This is how the food industry works now. We just have to accept that and deal with the consequences (whatever they may be...)
  • jessiex21
    jessiex21 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My son is severely allergic to all nuts ( mildly allergic to other stuff as well) and a small amount ingested can put him very quickly into anaphalactic shock.

He was breast feed solely until he was 6 months old and then gradually weaned but was never given any nut products to eat.

My theory ( all be it with no scientific back up) is that as a baby he had really bad excema, the only thing we found that helped was Shea Body Butter which is derived from nuts - may be this could have been the trigger.

Has anyone come across this before ?
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    This thread keeps going back and forth through a couple of different issues. I'm glad I brought this up. Initially, I was trying to distinguish between people that have real problems with different food conditions, whatever they might be, and people that make them up.

I do think there is a huge difference between people that get official medical diagnosis and people that just claim that not eating wheat makes them feel better. I don't at all think there is anything wrong with it all by itself. But, as it relates to the growing trend, it is hard to tell the difference between a real problem and one that's not real. I shouldn't have to define what not real means but since this is the internet, I sort of have to qualify it. So, I'll just say it is anytime that there is not a medical diagnosis of an actual medical problem. So, by saying that I feel better eating gluten free food DOES NOT mean that I have celiac disease. And, that's what I was attempting to get at with my post.

So, we can move this forward and stop going back and arguing about an opinion that something makes you feel better. Again, just because you feel better on a gluten free diet does not mean that being gluten free has solved your problem, because you don't know what the problem really was. It could be that some component within the gluten free environment was the problem and you dont' actually have to eliminate gluten at all, you just think that because you felt better after eliminating gluten. This is a fact that seems to escape a lot of people. That's why I weigh heavily on more of an official diagnosis. It was never my attempt to belittle those with actual problems. I was more discussing those that are either jumping on the band wagon, or criticising those that self-diagnose. I was also asking if there was an actual increase in actual medical statistics of these increases. It seems that there is a general increase in over all dietary issues. It sounds like it is not clear as to why just yet. But, there are a lot of asumptions and theroies as to why.

Anyway, interesting dialog. Obviously, this topic touches a lot of people. I'm concerned.

I have had the testing and the official diagnosis and I get that you want more people to go that route rather than just figuring it out on their own. BUT, here's the thing. Not every doctor is well versed in nutrition and allergies or intollerances. Many are apt to just prescribe some medication to take care of the symptoms. You've got migraines? Here take some pain relievers. Acid reflux? Take some antacids or whatever that purple pill is. Our nation is out of control when it comes to being over medicated. And even if you are lucky enough to have a doctor that does understand, some folks don't have insurance or have inadequate insurance, and frankly can't afford the testing. It's expensive. So yes, we are going to see more and more self diagnosis.

Frankly, IMO it's not a bad thing when it's leading them to be more aware of what they eat and elminate processed crap. Whether they are 100% accurate or not, if it makes them feel better, keeps them out of the doctor's office and off medication, the ends justify the means.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    So, by saying that I feel better eating gluten free food DOES NOT mean that I have celiac disease. And, that's what I was attempting to get at with my post.

If they feel better eating gluten free, why shouldn't they eat gluten free? How is it hurting them?

Also, my insurance is not the best so I can not afford to go through the testing required to get an official diagnosis. My self diagnosis of "I eat this food and feel these symptoms so I am not going to eat this food" works for me. That is why I say "intolerance" instead of 'allergy'. I have talked to other people that have a gluten allergy and that is not what I have. I don't get sick to the degree they do.

I think the ones just jumping on the bandwagon would be pretty easy to spot. When something truly makes you feel like utter crap from eating it...you don't eat that food period. I have seen people talk about going gluten free then eat things that have gluten in it. That brings up a flag for me.

But again, I don't see how it affects someone else? Are you going to shove food in someones mouth to test out their truthfulness of an allergy? Why does it bother you what people consume?

And again, your very last sentance is the ignorance that keeps prevailing here. Geez. If you're not interested in social or medical trend, or why there could potentially be a rise in food issues, why respond at all. I don't care what people eat. I've made that pretty clear over and over and over again to the point where I am now just going to be flat out rude about it. What I am asking is different and if you can't see that, then you might want to consider reading comprehension courses at your local community college, or maybe an evening adult ed course.

Yea, maybe people aren't taking it as a scientific curiosity because you are basically saying people are faking or it is "in their head". You can't have it both ways.

I am just wondering why...

People are full of *kitten*

Perhaps it is that disregard for what is truly going on that has people questioning your intentions of this post.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    So, by saying that I feel better eating gluten free food DOES NOT mean that I have celiac disease. And, that's what I was attempting to get at with my post.

If they feel better eating gluten free, why shouldn't they eat gluten free? How is it hurting them?

Also, my insurance is not the best so I can not afford to go through the testing required to get an official diagnosis. My self diagnosis of "I eat this food and feel these symptoms so I am not going to eat this food" works for me. That is why I say "intolerance" instead of 'allergy'. I have talked to other people that have a gluten allergy and that is not what I have. I don't get sick to the degree they do.

I think the ones just jumping on the bandwagon would be pretty easy to spot. When something truly makes you feel like utter crap from eating it...you don't eat that food period. I have seen people talk about going gluten free then eat things that have gluten in it. That brings up a flag for me.

But again, I don't see how it affects someone else? Are you going to shove food in someones mouth to test out their truthfulness of an allergy? Why does it bother you what people consume?

And again, your very last sentance is the ignorance that keeps prevailing here. Geez. If you're not interested in social or medical trend, or why there could potentially be a rise in food issues, why respond at all. I don't care what people eat. I've made that pretty clear over and over and over again to the point where I am now just going to be flat out rude about it. What I am asking is different and if you can't see that, then you might want to consider reading comprehension courses at your local community college, or maybe an evening adult ed course.

Yea, maybe people aren't taking it as a scientific curiosity because you are basically saying people are faking or it is "in their head". You can't have it both ways.

I am just wondering why...

People are full of *kitten*

Perhaps it is that disregard for what is truly going on that has people questioning your intentions of this post.

Most poeple are full of *kitten*, but that's a whole different thread.
  • michellew91
    michellew91 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    When a person is kept in too clean of an environment, their immune system is not being kept busy fighting off foreign pathogens. Studies have show in this instance the body will then turn on itself and start attacking itself. This playings a role in the increase in autoimmune disorders and allergies. Let your children go outside and play in the mud, they will be healthier!
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    When a person is kept in too clean of an environment, their immune system is not being kept busy fighting off foreign pathogens. Studies have show in this instance the body will then turn on itself and start attacking itself. This playings a role in the increase in autoimmune disorders and allergies. Let your children go outside and play in the mud, they will be healthier!
    Not all allergies can be explained away - my kids played outside all the time when they were younger and yet my son has a serious food allergy - if you could see my house you'll know I don't have it super clean, so sometimes you can't blame anyone or find a convenient reason to explain it away.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    When people have medical difficulties they often have to try different things and get various oddball diagnosis from doctors along the way (and prescriptions for ridiculous medications with crazy side effects). Medical diagnostics are not always as good as you think, we don't have tricorders from star trek. And it isn't always easy or wanted to go through the major tests (colonoscopies, MRI's, intestinal biopsies), so sometimes doctors take the least invasive routes at first by trying elimination diets. Sometimes people are mis-diagnosed as having an issue they don't have and sometimes a serious diagnosis of an auto-immune disease is missed and they are told they have IBS (two very different scenarios). It's just reality. There are many factors that could contribute to a person's digestive pain and skin rashes (even anxiety can be a cause). But, that starts getting into people's personal medical issues. And sometimes things improve on their own (and if that happens then great). I don't really know what else to say, I thought this was common knowledge.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    When people have medical difficulties they often have to try different things and get various oddball diagnosis from doctors along the way (and prescriptions for ridiculous medications with crazy side effects). Medical diagnostics are not always as good as you think, we don't have tricorders from star trek. And it isn't always easy or wanted to go through the major tests (colonoscopies, MRI's, intestinal biopsies), so sometimes doctors take the least invasive routes at first by trying elimination diets. Sometimes people are mis-diagnosed as having an issue they don't have and sometimes a serious diagnosis of an auto-immune disease is missed and they are told they have IBS (two very different scenarios). It's just reality. There are many factors that could contribute to a person's digestive pain and skin rashes (even anxiety can be a cause). But, that starts getting into people's personal medical issues. And sometimes things improve on their own (and if that happens then great). I don't really know what else to say, I thought this was common knowledge.

That's why it's best for people to figure these things out WITH their healthcare providers and not via the internet or on their own. There IS a lot to consider and take into account.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    The allergies may not be as common as you think they are. Of course posting a topic like this will bring you a biased and skewed data set to draw conclusions from.

As a child you were less aware of who had allergies, just like you were less aware of a lot of things about the lives of the people around you.

People understand allergies better now and are willing to take extra steps to be upfront about the presence of allergens, so now we have less of the rare incidents of people becoming bran damaged from peanuts. It's rare, but serious enough to warrant an awareness of it.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Is there some food epidemic or something?
    Why is all this stuff suddenly a problem for everyone?
    I'm not talking about diets, I'm talking about real food problems.
    I keep asking if something was wrong or what? but is the problem real. Ya know?
    People are making this stuff up. I know not in all cases, but as I look around, many people are making it up, but it's not real. But, more and more there are more people saying they have some kind of allergy or intolerance, or whatever to something.
    Are there studies about what's going on?

I went through your original posting and it appears that you're trying to indicate that there is a mass hysteria occurring (kinda like the Salem Witch Trials or the McCarthy Trials) when it comes to food problems (be it allergies or intolerance). Basically, you believe it's a mental issue as opposed to a true physical problem.

I think there are tons of people out there with real allergies it's just that in the past they didn't talk about their problems to outsiders. Your friend didn't want to give you details because he probably thought the details were too personal and gross: diarrhea, vomiting, and perhaps a variety of horrifyingly embarrassing issues he didn't want to share. I didn't grow up telling everyone about my skin rashes - I covered them up and if people noticed them they either ignored it (good friends) or would mock me for them. Luckily, I went to a school where most of the kids were pretty good and my parents found enough solutions to help me fix the issues through immune therapy (which at that time was considered to be a new 'quack' field but which today is big business).

Basically, to answer your question, I believe there are plenty of studies involving Celiac's, gluten allergies and intolerances, nut and dairy allergies...etc. You'll have to go out and read about them if you want to know more. The difference now is that our society is more connected through the internet and media than ever before. In the past, you didn't really have the kind of connectivity that exists today. That is your difference. Basically, we've gone from 10 to 12 tv channels to hundreds and the media system is now huge. The information data base and ability to share knowledge on the web is finally allowing people to make comparisons and to talk. That's why you're seeing this. In the past, we were truly isolated in some ways and there just wasn't the science to double check and verify these sorts of things. That's why DNA testing is releasing criminals now who are found to be innocent and were accused wrongly. Science has improved. There is your answer.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Allergies-what a subject!!! I have good insurance and a dermatologist who said "If during your entire life, your throat closes and you get hives when you eat coconut, nuts, citrus etc, there is no need for an allergt test. Those are foods you can not consume" .

So it doesn't matter if a pesron has no official diagnosis, that person has arrived to adulthood by taking care with foods they eat.

Also, if a person has one known allergy, likely they have many "unknown" foods or substances to which they are also allergic.

My personal list is pretty extensive and I travel with medication that, so far, stops the allergic reaction quickly.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Allergies-what a subject!!! I have good insurance and a dermatologist who said "If during your entire life, your throat closes and you get hives when you eat coconut, nuts, citrus etc, there is no need for an allergt test. Those are foods you can not consume" .

So it doesn't matter if a pesron has no official diagnosis, that person has arrived to adulthood by taking care with foods they eat.

Also, if a person has one known allergy, likely they have many "unknown" foods or substances to which they are also allergic.

My personal list is pretty extensive and I travel with medication that, so far, stops the allergic reaction quickly.

Why couldn't you just let this month old thread die?!?
  • chelseasunrise
    Options
    Not all allergies can be explained away - my kids played outside all the time when they were younger and yet my son has a serious food allergy - if you could see my house you'll know I don't have it super clean, so sometimes you can't blame anyone or find a convenient reason to explain it away.
    Agreed, my son was actually born with a cow's milk protein allergy so...
  • luvmynook
    luvmynook Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE to know why the increase in allergies!!

My son was 5 months old when we found out that he was allergic to the foods that I was eating (I was still breastfeeding) He was allergic to milk, eggs, soy, oats, almonds and peanuts. He had such severe eczema that he would literally scratch himself until he was bleeding..........it was so sad. Due to the eczema his face looked like he was burned and the skin was just raw.

I chose to take all the foods that he was allergic to out of my diet and was able to continue breastfeeding. After a month his skin issues cleared up. It was amazing. (On a side note, I lost 35 pounds during that process as I had a very limited food bank to choose from!!)

He is now 12 years old and has outgrown all the food allergies with the exception of peanut. Food allergies are very real and really impact your life. I sure which someone could figure out why the increase??
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of things go into the rise of food allergies/intolerances.

1 - People are self - diagnosing. They stop eating gluten, feel better, and start calling themselves "Celiac" or "Allergic". Allergies and intolerances are NOT the same thing.

2 - Doctors are taking it more seriously. 20 years ago Celiac would probably have been called "IBS" and people just would have lived with it.

3 - Food is changing and the way we eat is changing. Everyone eats so much crap, and there is so much put into our food that we don't know about that it does major damage to our bodies.

I have food allergies and intolerances, and I usually just go the "allergy" route, because its a lot easier then the long answer. I have Celiac (diagnosed) and Crohn's (also diagnosed) and as a result I cannot eat rice, oats, corn, dairy, or gluten. I'm also allergic to nuts. But people don't understand that something like Crohn's can make me unable to eat something without being allergic to it, so its easier to just say "allergy" and let it go at that. No one questions it that way, and I don't really want to go inot a long explnation about how corn will give me a weeks worth of unstoppable bathroom issues.

We are currently also under doctors care trying to figure out what is going on with our 3 year old, they think either Celiac or Crohn's, and when he goes to school he WILL have his "trigger" foods listed as allergies so that we know for sure he will not be given them.

And for what its worth, my kids play in the dirt all the time, and we don't use hand sanitizer. Every single one of them is still stuck with food issues, but they dont' get sick often, so maybe there is something to the dirt thing.