Are all these food allergies real?

Options

Replies

• penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    So, by saying that I feel better eating gluten free food DOES NOT mean that I have celiac disease. And, that's what I was attempting to get at with my post.

If they feel better eating gluten free, why shouldn't they eat gluten free? How is it hurting them?
  • enigmachik
    Options
    I don't shop at Natural Grocers and I don't buy packaged foods and such. I make sure the fruits and vegetables I eat are either conventionally grown or they are organic. So, I don't worry about GMO's being eaten by me or anyone that eats in my house.

This shows how uninformed you, yourself are. Do you understand that if you eat anything labeled as "conventionally grown" you have likely eaten GMOs? Do you understand that the problem with them not being labeled means you almost certainly HAVE eaten GMOs? It does reduce your chances that you don't buy packaged foods, but if you or anyone in your family eats anything with wheat, corn, or soy, you can be sure you have consumed GMOs.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I do think there is a huge difference between people that get official medical diagnosis and people that just claim that not eating wheat makes them feel better. I don't at all think there is anything wrong with it all by itself. But, as it relates to the growing trend, it is hard to tell the difference between a real problem and one that's not real. I shouldn't have to define what not real means but since this is the internet, I sort of have to qualify it. So, I'll just say it is anytime that there is not a medical diagnosis of an actual medical problem. <snip>

This is a perfect summary. I totally agree.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    So, by saying that I feel better eating gluten free food DOES NOT mean that I have celiac disease. And, that's what I was attempting to get at with my post.

If they feel better eating gluten free, why shouldn't they eat gluten free? How is it hurting them?

Seriously? Did you read what I wrote? Sheesh. Come on.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I don't shop at Natural Grocers and I don't buy packaged foods and such. I make sure the fruits and vegetables I eat are either conventionally grown or they are organic. So, I don't worry about GMO's being eaten by me or anyone that eats in my house.

This shows how uninformed you, yourself are. Do you understand that if you eat anything labeled as "conventionally grown" you have likely eaten GMOs? Do you understand that the problem with them not being labeled means you almost certainly HAVE eaten GMOs? It does reduce your chances that you don't buy packaged foods, but if you or anyone in your family eats anything with wheat, corn, or soy, you can be sure you have consumed GMOs.

I can tell you one thing, I am anything but uninformed. All I do in the evenings is read, research and fellowship with like minded people both in real life and through the internet.

The fruits and vegetables are actually labelled so you know if your purchasing GMO or not. Conventionally grown means traditionally grown with pesticides. That is all. It does not mean GMO.

I don't buy any produce that begins with an "8" if I buy things from the grocery store. The majority of my food comes from local farmers, CSA membership, Coop and Farmers Markets.

In fact, we barely go to any stores such as Wal-Mart, Target or grocery stores. I do buy organic apple cider vinegar, baking soda, coconut oil and other "basic" items so that I can make cleaning supplies and personal hygiene products.

I make my own shampoo, soaps, cleaning supplies, etc. We use soap nuts and lavender oil for laundry products. There is very little need for me to go to a grocery store or big box store, except for things I mentioned above and toilet paper.

You can tell how produce was grown from the labels on them...........

Here are the basics of what you should know:

1.If there are only four numbers in the PLU, this means that the produce was grown conventionally or “traditionally” with the use of pesticides. The last four letters of the PLU code are simply what kind of vegetable or fruit. An example is that all bananas are labeled with the code of 4011.

2.If there are five numbers in the PLU code, and the number starts with “8″, this tells you that the item is a genetically modified fruit or vegetable. Genetically modified fruits and vegetables trump being organic. So, it is possible to eat organic produce that are grown from genetically modified seeds. A genetically engineered (GE or GMO) banana would be: 84011

3.If there are five numbers in the PLU code, and the number starts with “9″, this tells you that the produce was grown organically and is not genetically modified. An organic banana would be: 94011

We don't eat wheat, corn or soy and my husband sometimes does eat organic, steel cut oats - which are non-GMO.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Yes, it is awful. The farmers around here don't even want to deal with the big M that tries to promote their company as such a family loving, environementally friendly, gag, gag, gag.............

The billboards around here make me sick.
    I bet. I'm still bitter because I found out one of my county's locally based "organic" food companies pumped $500,000 into suppressing GMO food labeling. It's so frustrating because I just want information that should be available BY DEFAULT.

Oh yes. I know Whole Foods backed up Monsanto a whole lot in this mess.

I have also heard from others that live in California that it is possible that there was ballot tampering and that the measure might have actually passed.

I was praying for rop 37 to pass in California as a first so that it would spark and unite other states to join in also.

Of course Missouri would want no parts of it because they are big Monsanto lovers around these here parts.

This is not true. I work for Whole Foods and I know they've been fighting for YEARS to have labeling in GMO foods. They have been the biggest backer of the Non-GMO Project since it's inception! We all wanted Prop 37 to pass as well. It was a company wide initiative. They got a bad rap because people pointed out that many of our foods have GMOs, but that is simply unfair because many of EVERYONE'S food in the US has GMOs. Nearly 80% of the food chain supply in the US has GMOs. That's the problem with Monsanto and others getting away with not labeling, plus there is the issue of cross-pollination and drift which makes it virtually impossible to avoid all GMOs. Trust me, everyone in this company wants GMO labeling. We have said this from the very beginning. Our message on this issue has never changed, we just got a whole bunch of bad press which marked us as somehow being different from every other natural retailer (and indeed every conventional retailer as well), but EVERY natural retailer has this problem. Whole Foods was targeted simply because it is the biggest. Do not for a second think that your natural retailer is any different just because it isn't Whole Foods. Every single part of the food chain is poisoned by Monsanto. They need to be stopped!

Your being lied to by your employer. There was a big article written a while back about the Partnership between Whole Foods and Monsanto.

It is kept under wraps to keep people shopping at Whole Foods.

Whole Foods needs to stop stocking Kashi and other mainstream brands if they want to continue to have support. I know a LOT of people that have begun boycotting Whole Foods.

The video is linked in the link below.

http://www.naturalnews.com/037329_Whole_Foods_GMO_undercover_video.html

Whole Foods has mastered the art of bait and switch"

That's not a bait and switch. What that is is a case of a couple of stock boys being uninformed. It's unfortunate that they didn't understand what GMOs were, but that has nothing to do with Whole Foods stance on the issue. The article outright lies several times. Never, not once, have I ever seen them train anyone to say we don't carry GMO products. In fact, for YEARS, way before all this bad press started, they have been telling us we DO have GMOs in some of our products and what we're doing about it. We've been backing NON-GMO initiatives for a very long time. We stopped selling Silk two years ago because of it. We're re-evaluating our relationship with Kashi. Whole Foods is not in bed with Monsanto. We've fought them MORE than any other grocery chain. Do your research. Don't believe an article you read. Research it. Research all the other grocery chains and tell me which ones profit most from Monsanto and which ones have supported GMO labeling the most. Whole Foods is not the enemy on this issue. They do many things wrong, but in this case they are absolutely being scapegoated.

OK, LOL............you want to stick up for your employer. That's nice.

I have 2 fellow friends that were working for Whole Foods and they both told me that these articles that were written are unfortunately accurate.

These 2 friends live in 2 different areas of the country and I know they are not lying.

And besides, the fact that they carry GMO products shows their support of GMO's so despite what you or anyone else says, seeing is believing. So in my book they are no better than Wal-Mart, especially when they carry some of the same products.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I read the first 2 pages and wanted to comment on many of the responses- skipped to the last page and will add one word I havent seen yet in this thread, but maybe its buried in the many pages-

Psychosomatic. A lot of whats wrong with ppl IS all in their head. Enlightened individuals understand that statement. Others- Im not picking on or calling stupid- but I dont feel like explaining to disbelievers.

ADHD and some allergies- excuses are what they are. My kid fails- hes adhd and no one understands him. My kid wont listen- go to doc and beg for meds to "calm'' him "slow him down" And we wonder why we have a generation of tv/xbox zombies??
    If kids went out and ran like crazy for 12 hours like they did in the "old days" maybe some of that energy would be sucked out of the little devils??

I know ppl will fire off and explain HOW REAL what ever it is that happens to them or their kid is. Im sorry- but rarely do I believe its truly an UNFIXABLE medical issue. Usually a good BALANCED- CLEAN diet will fix many ills- so will drinking a ton of water - but few ppl want to believe its that easy.

I honestly think some ppl like the attention (Munchausen anyone??) and some just want an easy answer. Of course some want the pills that come with a Dx- especially if its going to calm the kids.

A lot of back pain is psychosomatic and so are many many ills of today's society.

I truly believe if we cared enough (as a planet and people) about good nutrition and did what ever we had to do to not eat garbage pumped out in factories and bathed in hormones and poisons much of MODERN DAY ills would go away. Doctors are in the MEDICINE business- not the nutrition business- its not good for business to point you to your own cures.
  • enigmachik
    Options

I can tell you one thing, I am anything but uninformed. All I do in the evenings is read, research and fellowship with like minded people both in real life and through the internet.

The fruits and vegetables are actually labelled so you know if your purchasing GMO or not. Conventionally grown means traditionally grown with pesticides. That is all. It does not mean GMO.

I don't buy any produce that begins with an "8" if I buy things from the grocery store. The majority of my food comes from local farmers, CSA membership, Coop and Farmers Markets.

In fact, we barely go to any stores such as Wal-Mart, Target or grocery stores. I do buy organic apple cider vinegar, baking soda, coconut oil and other "basic" items so that I can make cleaning supplies and personal hygiene products.

I make my own shampoo, soaps, cleaning supplies, etc. We use soap nuts and lavender oil for laundry products. There is very little need for me to go to a grocery store or big box store, except for things I mentioned above and toilet paper.

1.If there are only four numbers in the PLU, this means that the produce was grown conventionally or “traditionally” with the use of pesticides. The last four letters of the PLU code are simply what kind of vegetable or fruit. An example is that all bananas are labeled with the code of 4011.

2.If there are five numbers in the PLU code, and the number starts with “8″, this tells you that the item is a genetically modified fruit or vegetable. Genetically modified fruits and vegetables trump being organic. So, it is possible to eat organic produce that are grown from genetically modified seeds. A genetically engineered (GE or GMO) banana would be: 84011

3.If there are five numbers in the PLU code, and the number starts with “9″, this tells you that the produce was grown organically and is not genetically modified. An organic banana would be: 94011

We don't eat wheat, corn or soy and my husband sometimes does eat organic, steel cut oats - which are non-GMO.

I will grant you that you are more informed than the average consumer. And if you aren't eating wheat, soy, or corn as you say, than likely you ARE avoiding the majority of GMOs, which is great! However, don't believe what you read about the PLUs. I'm aware that conventional just means it was grown using pesticides, however many conventionally grown items have GMOs and you have no way of knowing because labeling isn't required. PLU codes are optional. They are not a requirement. Many GMO foods are not labeled. Also, PLUs are designed for the supply chain, not for the consumer. Because of this, they often go out of their way to hide information from the consumer. If you seriously believe all GMO produce is labeled with an 8, and by just avoiding that pesky 8 you'll be safe, you are sadly mistaken.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

Also, my insurance is not the best so I can not afford to go through the testing required to get an official diagnosis. My self diagnosis of "I eat this food and feel these symptoms so I am not going to eat this food" works for me. That is why I say "intolerance" instead of 'allergy'. I have talked to other people that have a gluten allergy and that is not what I have. I don't get sick to the degree they do.

I think the ones just jumping on the bandwagon would be pretty easy to spot. When something truly makes you feel like utter crap from eating it...you don't eat that food period. I have seen people talk about going gluten free then eat things that have gluten in it. That brings up a flag for me.

But again, I don't see how it affects someone else? Are you going to shove food in someones mouth to test out their truthfulness of an allergy? Why does it bother you what people consume?
  • penrbrown
    Options
    People who are arguing that these things are psychosematic piss me off a bit. It took over ten years for me to be diagnosed because when I'd go into the doctor with my symptoms he kept brushing me off or telling me to get 'psychiatric' help. It took me, on the floor, in anaphylatic (yeah, I can't spell it) shock before they took me seriously. Freaking morons.

The symptoms they brushed off?

1. Intense heat spells. I mean INTENSE. I remember running outside and burying myself in a snow bank in the middle of -15C weather. I was so hot I would just sweat and sweat and sweat.

2. Fainting spells. Poof - she's out! And I never knew when it was coming. It was a real mind f***. Caused a LOT of anxiety after about the third spell.

3. Intense stomach pains (with bloody discharge).

4. Chain puking (uncontrollable. I'd puke until there was nothing left to puke and then I'd puke more. It lasted more then an hour one time when I got a handful of nuts - and NO, I didn't think it was the nuts. It wasn't until I tested positive for nut allergy in the skin tests and blood tests that I put two and two together).

5. Hives. Hives. Hives. Hives. Hives. Everywhere. Anytime.

And after all of those symptoms I had to end up with my throat closed and the world blacking out of existence before they ordered allergy tests. A near death experience is what it took. Are you kidding me? How useless are medical professionals???

So yeah. All the dismissive attitude pisses me off a bit. I didn't have to suffer as many years as I did. Maybe a bit of awareness of what allergies really ARE and what they can do would have saved me a LOT of grief.

I don't think the answer is dismissing people or accusing everyone of having 'mental problems'. I think the solution is educating people on what allergies are, what intolerances are and how to spot the difference.

I don't care if you end up humoring a million false sufferers. If you make the life of even one true allergy sufferer easier by being understanding then why the hell wouldn't you humor those million others?

*grumble grumble*
  • penrbrown
    Options

Seriously? Did you read what I wrote? Sheesh. Come on.

I did. It all looked like white noise to me.

Blah. Blah. Blah.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

Also, my insurance is not the best so I can not afford to go through the testing required to get an official diagnosis. My self diagnosis of "I eat this food and feel these symptoms so I am not going to eat this food" works for me. That is why I say "intolerance" instead of 'allergy'. I have talked to other people that have a gluten allergy and that is not what I have. I don't get sick to the degree they do.

I think the ones just jumping on the bandwagon would be pretty easy to spot. When something truly makes you feel like utter crap from eating it...you don't eat that food period. I have seen people talk about going gluten free then eat things that have gluten in it. That brings up a flag for me.

But again, I don't see how it affects someone else? Are you going to shove food in someones mouth to test out their truthfulness of an allergy? Why does it bother you what people consume?

And again, your very last sentance is the ignorance that keeps prevailing here. Geez. If you're not interested in social or medical trend, or why there could potentially be a rise in food issues, why respond at all. I don't care what people eat. I've made that pretty clear over and over and over again to the point where I am now just going to be flat out rude about it. What I am asking is different and if you can't see that, then you might want to consider reading comprehension courses at your local community college, or maybe an evening adult ed course.
  • penrbrown
    Options

And again, your very last sentance is the ignorance that keeps prevailing here. Geez. If you're not interested in social or medical trend, or why there could potentially be a rise in food issues, why respond at all. I don't care what people eat. I've made that pretty clear over and over and over again to the point where I am now just going to be flat out rude about it. What I am asking is different and if you can't see that, then you might want to consider reading comprehension courses at your local community college, or maybe an evening adult ed course.

Dude, you cannot control how people respond to your post. Deal with it.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

I will grant you that you are more informed than the average consumer. And if you aren't eating wheat, soy, or corn as you say, than likely you ARE avoiding the majority of GMOs, which is great! However, don't believe what you read about the PLUs. I'm aware that conventional just means it was grown using pesticides, however many conventionally grown items have GMOs and you have no way of knowing because labeling isn't required. PLU codes are optional. They are not a requirement. Many GMO foods are not labeled. Also, PLUs are designed for the supply chain, not for the consumer. Because of this, they often go out of their way to hide information from the consumer. If you seriously believe all GMO produce is labeled with an 8, and by just avoiding that pesky 8 you'll be safe, you are sadly mistaken.

I don't know why you are skipping over the point of I don't buy food from grocery stores. And I do know for a fact that in terms of produce, there are very few GMO's that are grown.......... the kinds of GMO produce in the U.S. are quite limited: Hawaiian papayas, some zucchini and yellow squash, and corn on the cob.

We don't eat papaya at all and I only eat zucchini and yellow squash when they are in season and from my own or my sisters garden. We don't eat grains, so that nixes corn.

The majority of my produce comes from FARMERS MARKETS, CSA, and LOCAL FOOD COOP. I get my MEAT, DAIRY, HONEY and EGGS straight from LOCAL FARMERS..........

These are the types of things I buy from the grocery store/////////

Coconut oil (mostly buy from Tropical Traditions online, but sometimes buy Nutiva from my local store)
    Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar, regular white vinegar to clean and use in the laundry
    Coconut Amino Acids (similar in taste to soy sauce)
    Organic Yellow Mustard
    Occasional Citrus or Tropical Fruits (oranges, grapefruit, bananas, pineapple)
    Coffee (Organic and Rainforest Alliance)
    Baking Soda
    Raw nuts out of the bulk bin
    Soap Nuts
    Toilet Paper and Paper Towels

I make my own soap, shampoo, toothpaste, deodrant and cleaning supplies. I use coconut oil to shave, cleanse and moisturize my face and it is a good scalp conditioner for my husband.
  • penrbrown
    Options
    I don't know why you are skipping over the point of I don't buy food from grocery stores. And I do know for a fact that in terms of produce, there are very few GMO's that are grown.......... the kinds of GMO produce in the U.S. are quite limited: Hawaiian papayas, some zucchini and yellow squash, and corn on the cob.

We don't eat papaya at all and I only eat zucchini and yellow squash when they are in season and from my own or my sisters garden. We don't eat grains, so that nixes corn.

The majority of my produce comes from FARMERS MARKETS, CSA, and LOCAL FOOD COOP. I get my MEAT, DAIRY, HONEY and EGGS straight from LOCAL FARMERS..........

Coconut oil (mostly buy from Tropical Traditions online, but sometimes buy Nutiva from my local store)
    Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar, regular white vinegar to clean and use in the laundry
    Organic Yellow Mustard
    Baking Soda
    Soap Nuts

I make my own soap, shampoo, toothpaste, deodrant and cleaning supplies. I use coconut oil to shave, cleanse and moisturize my face and it is a good scalp conditioner for my husband.

I'm sorry. Maybe I missed it? Where do you get your information on what GMOs are or aren't grown in the US? Why do you feel these sources are reliable? Do you believe it's possible more GMOs are out there and it's simply not public knowledge?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Despite what sheeple like you tend to think, it doesn't always take expensive medical testing and a million Doctors to tell you something is wrong. The body tells you itself when you pay attention to how you feel, sleep, etc.

An individual person knows BEST when they are intolerant or allergic to something.

I don't know what is so hard to understand about that.

My Doctor has even mentioned that for people that pay attention and are very aware of their own bodies, they know best when something is off and just not right.

For me, I knew something was wrong and I went to the Dr and said I believe that I have an allergy to gluten. I went over how I felt, and told him that I had been avoiding gluten and all grains because it is easy for other grains to be contaminated with gluten. He told me that if I physically felt better when avoiding these foods, then there is either an intolerance or an allergy so he said just go with what I have been doing.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Organic Yellow Mustard
    Baking Soda
    Soap Nuts

I'm sorry. Maybe I missed it? Where do you get your information on what GMOs are or aren't grown in the US? Why do you feel these sources are reliable? Do you believe it's possible more GMOs are out there and it's simply not public knowledge?

I got this information from the farmers that own my CSA farm and other farmers in the area where I get meat and eggs. I trust the people where I get the bulk of my food from

There may be some other GMO produce out there, but I buy very little from the grocery so I don't believe I have that to worry about.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    My son's allergic to dairy (not lactose intolerant--allergic to caesin) and it's been a real b!tch.
  • penrbrown
    Options
    I got this information from the farmers that own my CSA farm and other farmers in the area where I get meat and eggs. I trust the people where I get the bulk of my food from

There may be some other GMO produce out there, but I buy very little from the grocery so I don't believe I have that to worry about.

Cool. :) I live in a farming community. The farmers I deal with are very open about the fact that the seeds they get have been modified in some way or another. In fact, if I recall correctly, corn seeds were injected with some kind of pesticide so they would live through the weed killing process.

Talking to those farmers scared the crap out of me and convinced me that grocery store or bought from a farmer - either way you're getting crap food.

Bottom line, vegetables are NOT healthier then the junk you buy in packages. They've been messed around with too.

Mind you I live in a different country (I do believe), and a different community. I'm not saying YOUR food isn't clean. I'm just saying I don't trust that mine would be, even from local farmers.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Cool. :) I live in a farming community. The farmers I deal with are very open about the fact that the seeds they get have been modified in some way or another. In fact, if I recall correctly, corn seeds were injected with some kind of pesticide so they would live through the weed killing process.

Talking to those farmers scared the crap out of me and convinced me that grocery store or bought from a farmer - either way you're getting crap food.

Bottom line, vegetables are NOT healthier then the junk you buy in packages. They've been messed around with too.

Mind you I live in a different country (I do believe), and a different community. I'm not saying YOUR food isn't clean. I'm just saying I don't trust that mine would be, even from local farmers.

I belong to an organic CSA that has goes through organic certification every couple of years.

Please stop.......you are making me laugh.

Do you REALLY think that fruits and vegetables are NOT healthier than packaged junk? You have got to be kidding me.

I do trust local farmers around here where I live. I don't trust large Corporate farms and such. Here in the United States the large farms have massive recalls due to salmonella and listeria poisoning that it just pushes me more and more to eat as local as I can until I can grow all of my food myself.

And those farmers that are telling you about corn, wheat, soy and other seeds that are injected with pesticide..........That is Monsanto, round up ready seed.

That is only one reason as to why I don't eat grains. I have many other reasons also.