Ladies 5'3 Weight Goals (healthy weight?)

Options
I am 5'3 (or 5'4 not 100% on that lol) and I want to know what the optimal weight is for myself. I was thinking 140, leaves me with some curves and not twig arms, but what is the optimal weight? My doctor is "challenged" and didnt seem to think I needed to lose weight (I was [having now lost 6 pounds] 200 pounds which is a bit much for my height) anyways since she didnt think I needed to lose weight, she didnt tell me the optimal weight for my height.

Anyone got any clue where I am supposed to be?

Replies

• stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    well my goal weight was 105.. just because thats how my body is... i am 3 ounces away from it now and def still have my figure. just the way my body is built i look chubby if i weigh much more than that..
  • kikislimsdown
    kikislimsdown Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4 and large framed. I would be satisfied at 180. My ideal weight according to calculators is between 130-151. I was 150 prior to giving birth to my kids. I am not pressed to get back there. I just want to be a size 13/14.
  • sab53
    sab53 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3.5". So I'm probably almost exactly the same height as you. I'm told that a healthy weight range for woman of our height is somewhere between 105 to 140 lbs., depending on your build and body type. I'm a medium build with lots of natural curves built in and I would love to weigh as close to 130 lbs. as I can get. But I'm currently about 138 and I don't look big.
  • sab53
    sab53 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Also take into account that muscle mass weighs more that fat per inch. So if you were to take up heavy lifting or something like to gain muscle, your metabolism would increase and your body fat would go down as well as your over all measurements. But your actual weight might not be as low as you might expect for someone of the same size.
  • 02tods
    02tods Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 3/4" and I'm aiming for 140 lbs. I'm a med/lg frame and usually fairly muscular, so I may stop at 145 lbs. I'll have to wait and decide when I get there though.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 3/4" and I've always thought 140 would be good as I think I could maintain it. But now that exercise is something I put high on my list I'm going for what the charts say and that's 130 to 135.
  • SarahJane139
    SarahJane139 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3 (or 5'4 not 100% on that lol) and I want to know what the optimal weight is for myself. I was thinking 140, leaves me with some curves and not twig arms, but what is the optimal weight? My doctor is "challenged" and didnt seem to think I needed to lose weight (I was [having now lost 6 pounds] 200 pounds which is a bit much for my height) anyways since she didnt think I needed to lose weight, she didnt tell me the optimal weight for my height.

Anyone got any clue where I am supposed to be?

I'm a medical student and recently had a lecture on healthy weight. I'm not an expert but I can do my best.
    Have you ever heard of body mass index (BMI)? Each person can calculate their BMI using both their height and their weight. The number you get tells you if you are at a healthy weight for your height.

Healthy weight is a BMI between 18.5-24.9.
    Overweight is a BMI between 25-29.9
    Obese is any BMI >30

At 5'4'' (I used 5'4 for calculations) and 200lbs your BMI is 34.3. A great starting goal would be to get your BMI down to 29.9 (175lbs). Once you have hit that you can work towards 24.9 (145lbs). I hope that helps! You should google "BMI calculator" there are tons on the web.
  • canelly
    canelly Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and my goal is 130
  • jocybee83
    jocybee83 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4'' and my first goal is 130lbs. I am about 16lbs away from that goal. Once I get there I will re-evaluate and see if I should stay there or try to get to 120lbs. I'm surprised your doctor wasn't concerned about your weight, 200lbs at your height would put your BMI in the obese range.
  • tinagn
    tinagn Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My goal is 120lb
  • carfamily08
    Options
    I'm 5'2 - my gw is around 120 but I'd be happy with 125-130 and more toned if I can still get back in my pre-kids clothes (size 2-4 or small)
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    depends on what size your frame is. there is a bmi tool under the apps tab on here where you can calculate what your bmi is now to see if you are overweight or healthy. if you are close to 5'4", then you should probably be anywhere from 110-140ish. i am 5'4", 106 and considered underweight but if you are closer to the 5'3" side then you could probably even go a little under 110
  • Innerautumn
    Innerautumn Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2" and currently 121. I was 163 in February when I started this ride. I probably still have 5-10 pounds of fat that I could lose, but I am a mom of three, almost 32 years-old, and am not looking to be a super model. I think I am at a healthy weight for my height. I am in a size 4 and that is the smallest they sell at many stores. I don't want to shop in the juniors department. I have a teenage daughter and I am not trying to look like her. It is strange to be content with the numbers on the scale. My new goals are improve flexibility and tone-up.
  • Playingwithfire89
    Options
    I'm 5'3.7 and just lost 32 pounds from a weight of 140 to my current 108. Truthfully, weighing this little SUCKS! the best weight for me in this process was prob 120/125.
  • malystrasza
    Options
    well my goal weight was 105.. just because thats how my body is... i am 3 ounces away from it now and def still have my figure. just the way my body is built i look chubby if i weigh much more than that..

Same here. I guess we have tiny frames. lol I'm still surprised at how I had no shape when I weighed around 120-125, despite still being within a healthy range. I'm about a pound away from 105, and once I hit my goal, I'm going to start a slow bulk to put on muscle. Ultimately, I don't care what I weigh, as long as I'm healthy, lean, and have some muscle :D
  • mystikfairy61
    mystikfairy61 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I found this site and it is fantastic!! It will figure your body fat percentage, BMI, caloric needs, ideal weight, target heart rate, etc. It is
    http://www.active.com/fitness/calculators/bodyfat.htm# . I found that for a 5'4 woman my ideal weight is 110-140, and I am guessing that the weight range low is for small frame and the most is for large frame. Hope this helps.
  • barbiek999
    barbiek999 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 5' 31/2", medium frame and currently around 131 lbs. I was down to 127 but have fluctuated back up over the past month. At 127 I didn't feel I was quite done even though it had been my original goal weigth, but that has more to do with fitness level and toning. If I had more muscle mass (working on it!) I imagine I'd be happy around 130, or at this level of muscle mass, maybe 125lb...? Hope this helps and wishing you all the best on your journey :)
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    I have a medium to large frame, am 5'3", and my goal weight is 134, which is exactly 100 pounds from my starting weight and in the middle of the "healthy" range on the BMI scale. I figure the closer I get to goal weight, I will reevaluate and see if I want to change that number. I've never in my life been that small so I have no idea how I would look.
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    Hi :)
    I am 5'4. I used to be 200. When I first started out my goal was to get to 150. I believe 145 is a healthy weight for 5'4.
    Depending on your frame I would say 115-140 pounds is good, it just depends on your curves, muscles, stuff like that.
    I am going for 115-120 pounds-I'm super small framed, small hands, small feet.
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Im 5'3 ;) Started at 264 (Im almost sure I was higher!) My goal is 120-135 depending on what my BMI is.